The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-06-2010, 10:40 AM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Carrying rods in vehicles

Don't know if it'll help...but here's a pic of my car to show you what...you MUST'NT do...it was even more messy before we put on our waders
Click the image to open in full size.
Old 09-06-2010, 10:41 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi Everyone,

I see a lot of guides using the hood/roof style of mount and they work very well. They come in both magnetic and vacuum styles.

If you only carry one or two rods I like regular rod carriers. These work really well in boats and airplanes. If you have a nine foot rod buy one for a nine foot two piece rod. When you finish fishing break your four piece rod in half with the line and fly still attached. Turn the front section so the tip is with the reel. Fasten the fly to the fly keeper and wind up the slack with the reel. Now you can place the rod in the case and travel on. When you are ready to fish again remove the rod and fasten the two parts together and you are ready to fish. The problem is rod carriers are not cheap and it has to be a long term investment.

Frank

Cabela's Rod Carrier

Orvis Safe Passage Rod/Reel Carrier
Old 09-06-2010, 02:22 PM

Jimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud of

Brainstorm, but don't trow rocks at me. I was thinking most vehicles have those clothes hooks on each side. Then I thought wrap one of those hanging clothes bars with copper tube insulation, bungie cord loop around that, and the handle of rod.
Couldn't figure out the front part (that's why I didn't want you to throw rocks).
Old 09-06-2010, 07:57 PM

crittergetter is just really nicecrittergetter is just really nicecrittergetter is just really nicecrittergetter is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmie View Post
Brainstorm, but don't trow rocks at me. I was thinking most vehicles have those clothes hooks on each side. Then I thought wrap one of those hanging clothes bars with copper tube insulation, bungie cord loop around that, and the handle of rod.
Couldn't figure out the front part (that's why I didn't want you to throw rocks).
I think something like that was what I saw 6 months ago in a Tahoe..

I thought it was tension rods but the hooks sound good. Up front they had something else to rest the rod tips in.
Old 09-07-2010, 08:29 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

My buddy has one of these. Got it from Cabela's. I've seen homemade ones too.

Old 09-07-2010, 08:42 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi Everyone,

Here is one that Feather-Craft sells. You can buy additional holders. It is easy to insert the rods. Very nice but not cheap.

Frank

Rod Loft Pro
Old 09-07-2010, 09:32 AM

kglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip Tide View Post
My buddy has one of these. Got it from Cabela's. I've seen homemade ones too.

I fished with a guide on Kodiak Island, AK and he had this same setup, homemade, but it worked great. No tangled leaders with other rods, totally out of the way and easy to use.

kelly.
Old 09-07-2010, 04:33 PM

crittergetter is just really nicecrittergetter is just really nicecrittergetter is just really nicecrittergetter is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Whiton View Post
Hi Everyone,

Here is one that Feather-Craft sells. You can buy additional holders. It is easy to insert the rods. Very nice but not cheap.

Frank

Rod Loft Pro
FRANK "Your the MAN!!!!"

That was exactly what I saw in the Tahoe. Good thing is... I have a trip to St. Louis in a couple of weeks. I will take look. I will also look to see if they have the ones Rip and KG talked about

I am still planning to make the Home Depot redesign to use on my truck.

CritterGetter
Old 09-09-2010, 05:46 PM

JoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to behold

I home built an exterior carrier. Mine is a "C" rather than a "T" or "H".
I bent some 1/2" wide flat steel into a "C" shape, bolted a flat, round magnet to the bottom and glued craft foam to the bottom of the magnet.
I bolted a piece of packing foam to the top of the "C" and cranked it hard enough to sink the bolt and washer into the foam. I may have cut a half inch slot in the foam to orient it to the metal bar, I may have glued it, I can't remember.
I cut vee's or u's into the top of the foam for the rod handles and hooked one end of an old bungee cord over the top and around the side, then cut the hook off the other end and tied it to the "C" when I thought the tension was right.
The other rack is made the same way, except I just cut small holes in the foam to put the rod tips thru.
The magnets came from Harbor Freight, about 6 bucks.
I haven't tested it at freeway speeds, but it worked fine at 30-45 MPH
Old 12-13-2010, 06:00 PM

With Tons' of help and editing suggestions from Frank. (Thank you Frank)

And with the use of JoJers "Harbor Freight Magnets"

We now have a posted doc on how to build these things arond $20.

Poor Boy Rod Holder

Hope it helps and we have already had other suggestions, that I didn't try. I will probably give it a go sometime in the future.

Enjoy and thanks for keeping the thoughts and idea's flowing.

CritterGetter