The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-14-2010, 09:36 AM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future
Default Re: Carrying rods in vehicles

Ok, so this is gonna be over simplified but I just take the rod apart (not all the sections but just in half) still strung up and put it in the back of my Jeep and when I get to where I'm going I put it back together again and go fishing! I bet it takes me the same ammount, if not less, time to do that as it takes to get them off the mount. I know its too simple!
Old 12-14-2010, 10:40 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi wt bash,

Its not about saving time it is about protecting the rod. Laying a bare rod in the back of a vehicle is an accident waiting to happen. Howver that is what I do with one exception. I slide the two pieces back into the tube. Most of the rods that I use a lot are two piece and the tube is long enough to slide the broken down rod into the tube.

I think the best way to protect the rod is with a rod/reel case thae is long enough for a two piece rod. Split the rod in half and fold the tip back with the reel and place in the case. Close up the end and you rod, reel, and fly is safe from harm. To me this is the safest way to transport a fly rod and keep it fishing ready. The problem with this methoid is the rid/reel cases are not cheap. I like the way the Orvis closes with your reel incased in foam.

Frank

Orvis Safe Passage Rod/Reel Case
Click the image to open in full size.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 12-14-2010, 11:12 AM

bjweller has a spectacular aura aboutbjweller has a spectacular aura about

May not be much help, but 10 years ago when I was in the market for a new car, I bought a truck with a shell on the back that locks. It has double sliding glass so that with the panes open I can keep the rod rigged up and it comes into the cab of the vehicle. Bought that vehicle with that in mind. Can't say enough how convenient it is.
Old 12-14-2010, 02:43 PM

db cooper has a spectacular aura aboutdb cooper has a spectacular aura about

I often put my rigged rod under the wiper blade when only traveling a few miles through two tracks, metro parks and the such. So far...no problems. Keep in mind i primarily fish cane, so my rods are all under 8 feet.
Old 12-14-2010, 06:17 PM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future

Frank, I always tube it to and from but if just hoping from access point to acces point I'll stick her in the back. I do like the Orvis though do you know if they make one that would handle a switch rod/reel? Looking at the picks again, it looks like it could hold one zipped up to the rear handle. The Fly Shop makes cases for full speys but I don't know if theres one for the smaller switch.
Old 12-15-2010, 02:20 AM

thonyb will become famous soon enough

i carry my rods on a ski rack. this is great when you dont have a truck. I have had the t one before with the suction t that goes on the hood and the t that goes on top. after awhile the suction stay permanent and likes to roll around on the hood. I had to slam on my brakes a few time afraid that i was going to lose my rod. The ski rack i have would hold like 2 set of ski or one snowboard. I favor this because its mounted on a rack so you can go as fast as you want. You have to get two. I think i got both for 15. old and new one works.

Thule SnowCat Ski Rack and Snowboard Rack | AutoAnything – Automotive Buzz

sorry i dont know how to put pics up.
Old 12-17-2010, 10:10 AM

krauseb is on a distinguished road

My rods are in the van 24/7 365 days. I use a two piece rod case that carries two rods with the reel attached. My four piece rod is pulled apart at the second section. When I'm ready to fish I pull it out, slide the section together and I'm ready to fish. The same with the two piece rod.
Why anyone would carry the rod seperate in a case, then have to put the reel on, thread the line through the guides, then have to tie on a fly is beyond me. As long as you already have the rod in the vehicle, why go through the bother.
Old 12-17-2010, 10:27 AM

cochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud of

Fully enclosed. If I am hopping I will leave in bed of truck or use a magnet mount but when i am traveling I fully enclose them and if that means taking the rod down I do it...Too much coin in my rods and to many 50$ pops to sage. I dont like it...but more practice rigging up is always a plus, keeps the eyes and fingers sharp.
Old 12-24-2010, 05:03 PM

bent rod is on a distinguished road

Be careful with tubed varnished bamboo rods, especially in the summer.

I leave the cap off the tube. I fear that the tube and rod will become
overheated and varnish will soften.