The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-05-2010, 12:02 PM

FISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to behold
Default Carrying rods in vehicles

Sometimes I fish a few different rivers in one day & I just throw the assembled rod in the wagon (Ford Freestyle) & move on to next spot. If I'm going out the next day I'll just leave the assembled rod in the car. I was thinking of rigging up some type of suspension system to keep it rigged up all the time (weather permitting) up along the side over the door so it isn't in the way when I take the wife or kids for a ride. I thought of PVC tubing but that's too obtrusive...
How do you people carry your rods around in the car.

Thanks
Neil

Last edited by FISHN50; 09-05-2010 at 04:44 PM.
Old 09-05-2010, 12:41 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Carrying rods in vehicles

Hi Neil,

I really need to take a picture (I will) and edit it to this post later today. I don't carry a rod in the car or truck when I move on a river road but I do have a way to do it. I bought a magnetic rod rack from Orvis in 1993. I will go and get a picture and then post it. The thing is just what I need sometimes. It has pads on the base (paint protection) and foam covered bars between the towers. Think of a miniature roof rack system, one rack mounts to the hood and one on the roof just above the wind shield. You can carry up to 4 rods this way and I have never had a problem.

Watch for a thread called Rod Rack, I'll get it up soon.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 09-05-2010, 01:16 PM

von behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud of

This may be of help to you. This video is pretty hilarious.

Check this out...

http://www.rodmounts.com/sumo.html

VB

Last edited by von behr; 09-05-2010 at 01:23 PM. Reason: trying to include link
Old 09-05-2010, 04:25 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

Lol! I was researching rod racks the other day and had come across the same video. Seems to be a good selling point.

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm certain they're wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

Old 09-05-2010, 05:46 PM

crittergetter is just really nicecrittergetter is just really nicecrittergetter is just really nicecrittergetter is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by FISHN50 View Post
Sometimes I fish a few different rivers in one day & I just throw the assembled rod in the wagon (Ford Freestyle) & move on to next spot. If I'm going out the next day I'll just leave the assembled rod in the car. I was thinking of rigging up some type of suspension system to keep it rigged up all the time (weather permitting) up along the side over the door so it isn't in the way when I take the wife or kids for a ride. I thought of PVC tubing but that's too obtrusive...
How do you people carry your rods around in the car.

Thanks
Neil
I saw one mounted on the inside of a Tahoe about 6 months ago. The guy had a rack on tension rods between the sides about 4" down from the roof on the inside. I don't know if this was custom built or found somewhere. Man it was cool. He was a Bamboo top water addict and I bet he had about 6 bamboo rods already strung up with something on them.

If you fish 10' rods that will not work. but 9 and below could work with your ford.

I made a set of magnet rod holders from home depot. I was to cheap to pay Orvis. My third try worked. I used cooper and glue. With magnets from craft store and a pipe flange from the wall. Built a T and softens it with pipe insulation. By the time I was finished with my 3rd attempt I did have about $40 in parts. If I did it again I bet I would have about $10 invested.

CritterGetter
Old 09-05-2010, 07:00 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute

Critter,

You should post a picture, people need these things.

Old 09-05-2010, 11:24 PM

crittergetter is just really nicecrittergetter is just really nicecrittergetter is just really nicecrittergetter is just really nice

Ok... I really don't like this picture download thing... I am tired and don't understand why I didn't get the picture any bigger. I will re-read Franks "how to" again, after some sleep.

So I don't drive like Meat Loaf sang "Bat out of Hell" or like the Baha folks in the UTube video. I have gone 15 Miles to eat for a noon break without problems driving 55 to 60 on a curvy road with this design. (first trip I went about 25)

If I were to rebuild them. I would work on the Flange or make an H design because when you Pull on one side your T falls over. My first design, the T was top heavy. Make the hood mount just enough to clear the hood with your real. or the next bigger arbor. (second design boo boo)
Flange is a bathroom wall flange. Magnets are glued with epoxy. Copper is glued with E6000 (I think). Shammy glued to flange after magnets are in place. I made sure not to use much glue on magnets so it would hold to metal. Copper pipe is water pipe and I believe I got a 24" piece to make it all. Shortest one Home Depot had.

Not pretty, but they work for me.

Click the image to open in full size.

Last edited by crittergetter; 09-05-2010 at 11:30 PM. Reason: Fixing my boo boo's
Old 09-06-2010, 05:35 AM

fishtacos will become famous soon enoughfishtacos will become famous soon enough

I would love to see a picture. Like many others, I often hit more than one spot in a day. I have a small volvo so mine would have to be outside the car (and thus very secure).
Old 09-06-2010, 09:08 AM
Administrator

Critter,

They are perfect for what we are talking about. Take a look at the 'H' style I posted in Other Gear under the thread Rod Rack on the move with fly rods or something like that. The pictures would be a good pattern for an "H" model build.

Ard

Old 09-06-2010, 09:54 AM

Killer... This would solve my issue with the T design.

I was thinking of a different "H" design but this is what I need to do with my Home Depot design.

Now I have a challenge... Make a new design in under $20. And, since I have lost all receipts of the original 3, I can say I only have $20 invested to my wife

Of course this will be this winter when I can't fish. I will go ahead a document the parts and steps in case somebody wants to replicate the design.

I will need about 4 months of stress reduction for posting pics on this site before I post another Picture...