The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-06-2008, 11:15 AM

gearguy is on a distinguished road
Default It's the weekend. Who is going fishing?

I try to get out during the week days but it doesn't always happen, therefore, Saturdays are special fishing days.

Where are you going fishing this weekend and where?

I'm heading for the Provo River. The levels are a little high, but the fish are still active and taking nymphs.
Line: Scientific Angler Mastery Series

gearguy
Old 06-06-2008, 11:42 AM

Davo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud of
Send a message via MSN to Davo Send a message via Skype™ to Davo
Default Re: It's the weekend. Who is going fishing?

Well I work weekends so I do my fishing on Thursday and Friday. Went yesterday to the Green River. Floated the Warren Bridge to the Fish Hatchery. With the storms we have had rolling through you never sure of a great day. Two days prior to our trip the boss floated the same stretch with clients and had a awesome day.

In between the river rose 7", but at the same time cleared up to that nice tea color that makes the Green great. We faced all the weather extremes Wy offers. Morning bright and sunny, then partly cloudy with a little breeze, after lunch mostly cloudy and the wind was howling. Lucky for us the rain was all around but never over our heads.

The fishing had definitely changed. We only saw 4 fish all day and only two took a fly. Greg got a 14" and I caught a 21". We threw everything but the fish were just off. I highly recommend a trip down cause when they do turn on in the current water conditions the fishing is awesome. I'm going back later next week myself.

Upstream Anglers and Outdoor Adventures
Old 06-06-2008, 11:53 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

I'm taking the drift boat up to Grey Reef (just below Casper, WY) tomorrow. Its been raining like crazy here the last couple of days, but the rain has now pushed off to the east and Saturdays forecast is for sunshine. They have reduced the flow from the dam down to 500 cfs so that should help in locating the river channels a little better. In the past (prior to getting the drift boat) I've only fished the public access sites so I don't know the river very well, but each trip I'm gaining more knowledge! The North Platte Outfitters web site is reporting that the river is slighlty cloudy from the dam to Ledge Creek and then cloudy down to Government Bridge, so we will see how the fishing goes. Its been reported to be very good.

Larry
Old 06-06-2008, 12:31 PM

troutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to behold

Definitely getting but not sure where. Either the Little Truckee, Truckee River or carp pods.
Old 06-06-2008, 03:04 PM

Sprattoo is on a distinguished road

I live in Maine, and the stripers are in and nicely to boot.

So the Saco River is going to be my home... although I probably won't make it out there until Monday.

I'll be slinging my 9wt Cortland and ducking my own Alewife or Mackerel looking flies.
We have a few hunny holes around a couple of the islands and a new spot we just discovered (weather permitting) where a 43" fatty came out of the water last week.
Old 06-06-2008, 04:52 PM

FlyDog is on a distinguished road

Leaving Sun. for a week at Mammoth Lakes
Old 06-06-2008, 05:14 PM

troutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to behold

If you're fishing by Mammoth go up by Bridgeport. The East Walker is fishing pretty good right now.
Old 06-06-2008, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by packfancjh View Post
If you're fishing by Mammoth go up by Bridgeport. The East Walker is fishing pretty good right now.
Thanks for the tip.

I've frequented the Mammoth Lakes area and fished it off and on with spinning gear since the early 60's but this will be my first time down there with a fly rod.
Already have a guide booked for Mon.

I can't wait
Old 06-06-2008, 08:59 PM

where are you fishing at?
Old 06-07-2008, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by packfancjh View Post
where are you fishing at?
I'm sure I'll run out of time before I hit eveywhere I'd like to.
I'll probably be on either Hot Creek or the Upper O with the guide. I'll then probably try and check out as many of the creeks on the west side of 395 as I can between Rock Creek and Virginia Lakes.
As you must know, kind of like being a kid in a candy store.

We share some of the same home waters as I Live in Grass Valley.

One day left.....