The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-05-2010, 04:11 PM

von behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud of
Thumbs up A little slice of heaven...(w/pics)

I thought I would share a secluded little spot that is just a stone's throw from the megalopolis that is Los Angeles.

The 5-7 acre pond is on state parkland and requires only a short hike of about 1/2 mile. I've only run into another fisherman one time, and go there fairly often.

It is full of gills and 1-2 lb. bass. There may be larger bass in there, but I haven't caught anything larger than 2 lbs.

Click the image to open in full size.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I don't get to experience moving water as often as others on this forum, but where there are fish, I thoroughly enjoy offering them a fly.

These pictures were taken during the spring, when Southern California is at its greenest. The fish go crazy for anything smaller than size 10, and they really go ballistic for rubber legs and bead heads.

When I feel the need to wet a line, this is usually where I do it.

Cheers,

-VB
Old 09-05-2010, 06:03 PM

ant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: A little slice of heaven...(w/pics)

That's a great spot you have there!

And I found still water to be more challenging that moving water. A good 90% of the time I'm fishing is moving, so when I do hit a pond or lake the situation is completely different and more challenging. I guess it's just a matter of what your used to.
FlyFishinado - My Fly Fishing Blog
Old 09-05-2010, 06:07 PM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by von behr View Post
I thought I would share a secluded little spot that is just a stone's throw from the megalopolis that is Los Angeles.

The 5-7 acre pond is on state parkland and requires only a short hike of about 1/2 mile. I've only run into another fisherman one time, and go there fairly often.

It is full of gills and 1-2 lb. bass. There may be larger bass in there, but I haven't caught anything larger than 2 lbs.

I don't get to experience moving water as often as others on this forum, but where there are fish, I thoroughly enjoy offering them a fly.

These pictures were taken during the spring, when Southern California is at its greenest. The fish go crazy for anything smaller than size 10, and they really go ballistic for rubber legs and bead heads.

When I feel the need to wet a line, this is usually where I do it.

Cheers,

-VB
Nice picures but HUGE for a web forum. Luckily, this forum reduces them once loaded but they still take a while for some to load and take up a lot of resources.
Do your viewers a favor and try taking them down to 750-800 pixels wide.
Signed,
Just me being cranky again!
Old 09-05-2010, 06:12 PM

von behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackster View Post
Nice picures but HUGE for a web forum. Luckily, this forum reduces them once loaded but they still take a while for some to load and take up a lot of resources.
Do your viewers a favor and try taking them down to 750-800 pixels wide.
Signed,
Just me being cranky again!
Jackster,

My apologies. I've posted similar pics in the past with no complaints. I just checked the images, and they all show up as 780x585 pixels when I view them on the forum page. They look pretty normal on my screen.

If there's a different way to do it, please let me know.

-VB
Old 09-05-2010, 07:00 PM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future

VB... as they were loading they appeared very large. Once this board took them over they shrunk to a more manageable size.
I can click on the board-resized shots twice to get them back to the original size.
I'm sorry that I even brought this up now that I see this website automatically resizes photos.
Old 09-05-2010, 07:10 PM

ant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to behold

One way to resize your photos yourself, and touch them up if you want, is to download Gimp. It's like Photoshop but it is open source (i.e. free.) Just Google Gimp and you can find it.

That way the page isn't slowed by rendering the large pic and then it has to resize the pic.
FlyFishinado - My Fly Fishing Blog
Old 09-06-2010, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ant View Post
That's a great spot you have there!

And I found still water to be more challenging that moving water. A good 90% of the time I'm fishing is moving, so when I do hit a pond or lake the situation is completely different and more challenging. I guess it's just a matter of what your used to.
Ant,

It's a rare thing to find such solitude in this part of the world, but it does exist. It's funny you mentioned that about stillwater vs. rivers. When I have an opportunity to fish rivers and creeks, I feel really challenged, especially with mending and keeping in touch with my fly.

Thanks for the tip on the photos. Next time, I will experiment a bit before posting them.

-VB
Old 09-06-2010, 09:58 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

von behr: That is an amazing place you have found and even more amazing that is so close to LA and not over run with other anglers. Congrats on the great fishing and photos!

Larry