The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-09-2008, 03:17 PM

philthy is on a distinguished road
Default Robbed :(

Hi Folks,

Went outside this morning to find my truck had been broken into overnight. 400 bucks to have the door lock replaced. The real heartbreaker was the gear that was stolen: my Sage 3710 TXL and Ross CLA, my William Joseph Coastal pack that had 3 C&F boxes stuffed full of flies. Nevermind the 5 rolls of fluoro tippet, extra leaders, tools and gadgets. The conservative total of my loss was pushing a grand. I've filed a police report and the insurance company is all over it.

Must have been some real rocket scientists that did this, because the didn't take the bamboo in a cardboard tube on the floor in back!

Lesson learned? Never leave your stuff in a vehicle. I learned the hard way and hope you all don't have to.

Phil
Old 06-09-2008, 03:55 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton
Default Re: Robbed :(

Hi Phil,

What a bummer. You learned a good lesson but could have learned the same lesson with a little less stuff.

When I was flying in Alaska we use to leave the doors unlocked in case somebody wanted to break in. The radios had locks and I never lost anything. We always took every thing out that was not locked down.

Sorry for your loss.

Frank
Old 06-09-2008, 04:12 PM

GeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to GeorgeMcFly Send a message via Yahoo to GeorgeMcFly

sorry to hear that. I had a good friend or at least I thought he was good. them a large sum of money went missing from my house 2 weeks after he happened to see the hiding spot. guess sometimes we learn stuff the hard way. lets just say i could of prolly have bought 4 sages with it

owner of the GL Fishing Forum.
Old 06-09-2008, 04:33 PM

HuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to HuronRiverDan

Sorry for your loss. I learned my lesson a few years back, fortunately most of my fishing gear was with me on the stream. I ended up losing a cheapo rod that I had for a back-up. I had put my FFF window sticker and my TU Life Member sticker. The officer that took my report for the damage and the other fishing related items that were taken said that was like posting an invitation. Now no more stickers, and all my gear goes in the room with me. If I can't bring it in I bury it in junk.

Dan
Old 06-09-2008, 05:44 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi to all,

Dan, I don't put any stickers on my autos. I have belonged to the NRA since sometime in the fifties. No way would I put an NRA sticker on my autos. Just inviting trouble.

My friend had a generator taken out of the back of his pickup. He carried it for his 5th wheel. He was fishing the Provo and when they got back to the truck it was gone. It was chained to the truck but they had bolt cutters big enough to cut the chain. The guy who took the generator must have carried the bolt cutters around with him.

Frank
Old 06-09-2008, 06:06 PM

Good point, guys. I'll be scraping the stickers off my camper window. I did get an email off to Sage in case someone other than me turns it in for repairs. I also gave my info (including the rod serial number) to the local fly shops and one of those "Play it Again" places. Los Pinos had some C&F boxes on sale for 28 and 30 bucks for Father's Day, so I treated myself for a couple. Gotta start somewhere. In the meantime, everything is inside, where it belongs! Scary thing is, my 5 wt SLT and Lamson Velocity were inside the camper!
Old 06-09-2008, 06:53 PM

shorthaul will become famous soon enough

I hate thieves---Its hard to believe that a crackhead would be motivated enough to learn the finer arts of flyfishing---
Old 06-09-2008, 07:57 PM

da Bear is on a distinguished road

So sorry to hear of your misfortune. They say it takes all kinds, and its true but hard to accept at times, at least for me. It takes a sorry !@#$% to do such a thing and I hope they are found and punished to the full extent the law allows. I'm glad they didn't get the bamboo...at least there is a positive in all this. But thats easy for me to say. Its not my belongings that were stolen. Again, I'm so sorry. I hope the insurance will do their part. Not to be discouraging, but I don't put much hope in the police. Just my opinion based on past experience. Take care.
Old 06-09-2008, 08:18 PM

Actually, all I'm looking for is a police report. They've got bigger fish to fry here in Abluquerque and I'm not expecting anything to happen. My gear's gone and I need to just suck it up. I'd dearly love to mete out the punishment if they were ever caught. Pulling fingernails out with a pair of pliers would be a nice place to start.
Old 06-09-2008, 09:17 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

I feel your pain ;(