The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-11-2008, 04:05 PM

plland is on a distinguished road
Default Fly rods and hot cars...

The answer seems obvious to me, but I was wondering everybody's thoughts/experiences on leaving a fly rod in a hot car?

The reason I ask is I'm planning a couple trips this summer to destinations where I'd like to spend a day or two backpacking (not flyfishing), but if I left the fly fishing gear in the car at the trailhead, rather than packing it with me, I'd be concerned about the summer heat damaging the rod or line.
2. What I use when a black #10 woolly bugger isn't catching.
Old 06-11-2008, 05:45 PM

GeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to GeorgeMcFly Send a message via Yahoo to GeorgeMcFly
Default Re: Fly rods and hot cars...

I know my cousins kept there vests in the trunk and never took it out for like a week or so and when they tied on there tippet and hooked into a fish it just broke like nothing. guess the heat messed up the fishing line. I told um not to do it but they never listen. depends how hot it gets also.

owner of the GL Fishing Forum.
Old 06-11-2008, 08:44 PM

shorthaul will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by plland View Post
The answer seems obvious to me, but I was wondering everybody's thoughts/experiences on leaving a fly rod in a hot car?
I'd be concerned about the summer heat damaging the rod or line.
I used to leave my bluegill rod on the dashboard of my truck for the whole season---it was a lamiglas 4 wt "s" glass rod --one side was bleached out from the sun---one hot day melted my cheap plastic reel but the rod was ok.

i havent done that with my new z-axis yet and ive moved on up to better reels
Old 06-11-2008, 09:12 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

I'd be concerned about leaving my fly rod in my car at a trailhead, probably wouldn't be there when I got back.

Larry
Old 06-11-2008, 10:55 PM

da Bear is on a distinguished road

My experience has been that the heat is not the only problem, but the direct sunlight along w/ the heat can be killer for the line and the rod possibly. Any kind of line, leader or tippet can suffer great damage. Take care.
Old 06-12-2008, 05:48 AM

shorthaul will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by shorthaul View Post
I used to leave my bluegill rod on the dashboard of my truck for the whole season
After viewing this---i might add it is not a good idea to do this---that rod was made from a 12 dollar blank at the time and i'd already used it for a couple seasons on trout.

I wouldnt have a problem leaving my rod in the trunk of the car in a tube and a bag.
Old 06-12-2008, 03:13 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

I would try not to leave it for too long, but more importantly, don't leave it in direct sun.

Also as Larry mentioned, it's probably not a good idea to leave valuables in your vehicle @ the trailhead. They have become target area's for thieves around the west.

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm certain they're wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

Old 06-12-2008, 11:41 PM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

I have a 1996 Caprice, and left an aluminum rod tube in the car last night
(the rod was brought inside). With temps close to 90, the tube was almost too hot to hold! I never keep rods in the car, and did this just to see what
would happen. The Sun dried our wrt PFD's nicely! I don't keep my vest or
gear in the car either. Actually, I have brought gear on long day trips (trips
that weren't primarily FF'ing trips). As long as the gear was kept in the trunk,
and the car parked in relative shade, everything stays cool enough. I used
to worry that my canoe paddles would get warped in the trunk, but nothing
gets very warm in there. I still wouldn't take a chance with rods.
Old 06-15-2008, 11:53 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Keep all gear out of sunlight exposure in a car, for sure. The heat in the summer can't be good either, but it hasn't killed any of my gear yet.

One tip I'll throw in is to make very sure not to leave a composite/plastic/graphite reel in a hot vehicle. The tension of the line wound on the reel will commonly cause them to deform when the reel softens up when in a vehicle in the summer.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.