The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-06-2010, 09:14 PM

ant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to behold
Default Why is it when someone sees a person fishing....

...they feel the need to stand directly behind them and watch. I was at the local park today and had some 2 dozen people stand at various times directly behind me while I was casting.

Some were kids, so I told them( and told them and told them) to move, but most were adults. I'd say something once, then buyer beware. A couple even brought there little girl over to "look for fishies" in the middle of my cast. I didn't know you wanted you kids ear pierced today....

It just astounded me the people would a) not give me some private space, and b) stand where your going to get a hook in you sooner or later.

Despite my audiences best efforts, I still managed to land a few brookies, but eventually I got disgusted and moved to a more inconvenient spot (for them and me.)
FlyFishinado - My Fly Fishing Blog
Old 09-06-2010, 09:37 PM

von behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud of
Default Re: Why is it when someone sees a person fishing....

Ant,

I feel your pain. I get that a lot, along with: "Are there really fish in here?"

-"Nope. I'm just practicing."

I actually hooked a guy by the t-shirt once. I looked both directions before casting and thought I was clear. He was directly behind me. I felt horrible and apologized profusely, and he was very nice about it.

Cheers,

VB
Old 09-06-2010, 11:15 PM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute

Some folks really have no clue and you really have to expect people--- especially "civilians" if they're around, to be wandering right into your backcast if you're not careful. If you're anywhere near civilization, kids, tourists, dogs, joggers, cyclers, people on horseback, and passing cars will
vigorously compete with telephone wires and tree branches for your flies.

I see it a lot at the beach too with surf casters whipping 10-12' foot rods to cast heavy tins or plugs with multiple treble hooks 100 yds out into the surf-- People just stroll behind them without a care in the world, and casters really have to be on their guard... (but they'd be better off fishing at night when the beaches clear out anyway in most cases).
Old 09-07-2010, 08:06 AM

madjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud of
Send a message via Skype™ to madjoni

Quote:
Originally Posted by ant View Post
...they feel the need to stand directly behind them and watch. I was at the local park today and had some 2 dozen people stand at various times directly behind me while I was casting.

Some were kids, so I told them( and told them and told them) to move, but most were adults. I'd say something once, then buyer beware. A couple even brought there little girl over to "look for fishies" in the middle of my cast. I didn't know you wanted you kids ear pierced today....

It just astounded me the people would a) not give me some private space, and b) stand where your going to get a hook in you sooner or later.

Despite my audiences best efforts, I still managed to land a few brookies, but eventually I got disgusted and moved to a more inconvenient spot (for them and me.)
You are not alone...this happens to me all the time when I fish in urban conditions .....one of reasons that i love wildenes
Old 09-07-2010, 04:52 PM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future

I think it best and safest to assume it is your responsibility to not hit passerby's with the line or fly.
As park visitors they have every right in the world to stand where they like. It pays to assume they don't know squat about fly fishing and how much room casting eats up.
The last thing we need is anomosity between pedestrians and fly fishers. That could very easily bring about 'No Flyfishing' signs.
If the spot you want to fish is prime try simply asking those in the way to move, explaining you need that room to get the fly out. I've never had someone say no to a polite request like that.
Old 09-07-2010, 06:39 PM

ant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to behold

I get what you're saying Jackster, and I was polite (albeit through gritted teeth.) But what really got me was that the majority of people would watch me from a distance and then get closer. They had ample time to see how much space I was using and they still stepped within that space. Just incredible....

I saw it as fool-hearty at best and rude at worst. (Especially the couple with the little girl that brought her over in the middle of my back-cast. Their short-sightedness still has me a little peeved. I'd hate to have a little girl get a hook in her b/c of mommy and daddy's decision. As soon as I saw her I brought the line forward and let it fall into the water and waited.)

But I agree. In a confrontation between bystander and fisherman, I have a feeling that the fisherman would lose.

I went there again today and not a soul in sight. I even had my little one fishing and she caught 4 brookies to my one.......
Old 09-08-2010, 07:18 PM

troutbum251 is on a distinguished road

I give adults a few warnings then get a back cast closer and closer untill i bury the hook and break it off. Then leave quickly before the police show up. But if its kids I tell them to stand on my left side and if that doesnt work I just move on. I may be an a hole and bury some hooks in adults that should know better but kids are off limits.
Old 09-08-2010, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutbum251 View Post
I give adults a few warnings then get a back cast closer and closer untill i bury the hook and break it off.
Really? I usually try to land them and take a few pics. I C&R almost 90% of them caught this way.
Old 09-08-2010, 07:31 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

You guys know I try to be reasonable and I don't want to be in disagreement with posts but........................ I have been casting with a fly rod since I was a 13 year old. That adds up to just two months shy of 43 years. I have never had the type of problems I am reading here. Perhaps I have led a charmed life or simply chose my spots well, I have never have had run ins with civilians while fishing.

As for other fisherman trying to piggyback me on the river, that's another story.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 09-08-2010, 07:53 PM

Shane Stroud is a jewel in the roughShane Stroud is a jewel in the roughShane Stroud is a jewel in the rough

For some reason, I often draw spectators when I fish. But I usually wade out quite a good distance and rarely have anybody come close. When they do, I kindly ask them to keep clear. It's either my kind tone or the Ka-Bar on my belt that convinces them to listen. Could be either, but they get the point, and that's what matters to me.

People in canoes and kayaks are another matter altogether. They must be drunk, completely oblivious to their surroundings, or have no control over their craft. Whichever it is, they shouldn't be on the water. So far, a 15 foot canoe is my largest catch ever. Something like that plays heck on the drag.