The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-07-2010, 05:46 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default About Those People Who Stop & Watch You Fish;

Hi guys & Gals,

Rather than post into Ants thread with this I thought to put it out here for all to read. I hope this rings a bell.

I always thought that when people stop to watch you it is a form of compliment and combined curiosity. I have not had the type problem that some of us have described with onlookers but have not fished much in the type areas where audiences may gather except once.

A few years back (2005) when leaving Ship Creek in downtown Anchorage (I lived in Anchorage at the time) I did have quite an audience / fisherman interaction. I was about the only person that I saw catch a king salmon that day and considered my good fortune the result of dogged perseverance. As I waded and walked back up the tidal flats to the dam that marks the upstream boundary of the open fishery two, '2', Holland America tour buses were unloading their passengers at the dam. There is a fish spillway there where the salmon congregate before running the outflow and heading up into the safety of the nursery waters of Ship Creek. I had no idea that salmon viewing was a tourist attraction until that day.

As the crowd assembled and grew on the walkways and viewing decks of the dam they noticed the "Alaskan Fisherman" coming toward them carrying what must have surly looked like a huge fish. People began to call down to me in their best English asking that I please hold the fish up so they could take photographs of it, and I obliged. Within 45 seconds there were at least 80 Europeans clamoring at the railings pointing every sort of digital camera and camcorder imaginable at me and calling out for me to stay until they got a shot. Finally I propped my rod against the cable that stretches across the current and the land marking the no fishing zone and with both hands hoisted the king (bright as the chrome on a F 150 bumper) over my head and this was met with booming applause and shouts of approval from my new found admirers, all cheering their American Salmon Fisherman! At the time I just smiled and held the fish but when I think back on that day now I know it will never happen again. If I were to think of a movie it would be the crowd chanting Maximus, Maximus, as I stood in the arena! It was like nothing I could have ever imagined, the people cheered! After crossing the cable and climbing the steel mesh stairs that lead up to the dam and parking area some of my new admirers wanted pictures of me, the fish, and them all together now, smile! I was flabbergasted, never had I been the focus of so much attention and cameras at the same time. It was truly my very own 15 seconds of fame. I smile to myself as I write this and a tear of forgotten joy has formed in my eyes. I'll tell you this my friends, be patient and be good to those who may stop to watch you cast or to land a fish, the day may prove to be one that will bring you fond memories and a quick smile years later.

Ard
bradyb likes this.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;

Last edited by Hardyreels; 01-13-2012 at 06:45 PM.
Old 09-07-2010, 05:55 PM

rmooney is just really nicermooney is just really nicermooney is just really nicermooney is just really nice
Default Re: About Those People Who Stop & Watch You Fish;

great story!!!
Old 09-07-2010, 06:46 PM

cattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to all

Thats too funny! Everybody needs their 15 seconds.

It's not what I catch when I'm fishing, it's what I lose that matters to me...
----------------------------------------
Good decisions come from experience...Experience comes from bad decisions...
Old 09-07-2010, 07:09 PM
Banned

Sasha is a splendid one to beholdSasha is a splendid one to beholdSasha is a splendid one to beholdSasha is a splendid one to beholdSasha is a splendid one to beholdSasha is a splendid one to behold

I don't mind people watching. What do mind is when they start venturing into where I need to back cast. I had that issue like that on a recent bull trout fishing trip. These people stood and watched us for 30 minutes. The only problem was they moved to where I needed to backcast. Not wanting to be too rude I kept getting my back cast closer and closer to where they were standing
Old 09-07-2010, 07:35 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute

Sasha my friend, communication is the word here, it is not so much what you say but the way in which you connect to the people. I would take umbrage to anyone who after I made a clear calm and personal effort to inform about both their safety and the quality of both our experience refused to mind my advice. With that said, don't be too quick to underestimate the power of the spoken word.

Then kick their butt!

Ard

Old 09-07-2010, 09:43 PM

countr21 has much to be proud ofcountr21 has much to be proud ofcountr21 has much to be proud ofcountr21 has much to be proud ofcountr21 has much to be proud ofcountr21 has much to be proud ofcountr21 has much to be proud ofcountr21 has much to be proud of

I fly fish quite a bit in Rocky Mountain Nat'l Park and several times I've been landing a fish and notice groups of people taking pictures of me. I've even had an entire family all group together and make sure I'm in their background.

One of my favorite spots to fish is Sandbeach Lake in RMNP. It's a steep 5 mile day hike so it keeps most of the anglers at bay, but it's a popular spot with college kids from CU. As its name entails, the lake has a huge sandy beach and some kids bring up beach towels, beers, and bathing suits and treat the lake like a day at the beach. My favorite spot to fish is a point that juts out into the lake and is very visible from the sandy beach 50-75 yards away. One day I was really hauling them in and a huge group partying on the beach would erupt in hoo-rays and applause every time I landed a Colorado Greenback Cutty. Lots of weed, hippie music, and me fishing was their entertainment for the day.
Old 09-08-2010, 12:33 AM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

We had a raft full (14 atleast) of tourist just about float over the top of us one day in Canyon section of the South Fork. They didn't have a care in the world, all with big smiles and waving, just wanting pics of the pretty woman flyfisher and her guide floating down the river.

I forced myself to smile and wave, but inside I was wishing for a paint ball gun or a super soaker, they trashed out a really good bank!!

"Whoever said happiness comes with sunshine, has never known a Steelhead fisherman who prays for Fall rains."

Old 09-08-2010, 02:52 AM

flores81 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by fysh' View Post
We had a raft full (14 atleast) of tourist just about float over the top of us one day in Canyon section of the South Fork. They didn't have a care in the world, all with big smiles and waving, just wanting pics of the pretty woman flyfisher and her guide floating down the river.

I forced myself to smile and wave, but inside I was wishing for a paint ball gun or a super soaker, they trashed out a really good bank!!
That might be great experience
Old 09-08-2010, 02:27 PM

HuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to HuronRiverDan

Great Story Ard... I had somewhat the same experience on a pier in Florida when I was taking the hook out of a Puffer the wife caught. Pictures being taken, questions asked; that was one of the first days I had ever fished in saltwater so ...

Dan
Old 09-08-2010, 02:59 PM
Administrator

Thank you Dan,

I don't expect to have something like that happen again. When I was typing that memory I was laughing and at the same time got cloudy eyed. Memories are precious!

Ard