The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-14-2008, 08:19 AM

BlueDun has a spectacular aura aboutBlueDun has a spectacular aura about
Question Longest you've ever used a pair of waders?

I've read a lot of posts on various forums regarding people's experiences with waders, but none of them have focused on the length of time a pair lasted without major repair.

So, just curious, how long were you able to use your longest lasting pair of waders? Also, what was the brand/model?

I've had a pair of Cabela's Dry Plus for 2-1/2 years, but that is also how long I've been fly fishing.
Old 06-14-2008, 10:23 AM

shorthaul will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Longest you've ever used a pair of waders?

I used a set of Red Balls big ole heavy boot foot waders for about 5 years without any repair and gave them away after falling 2 times in 2 days because the treads were worn out
Old 06-14-2008, 10:30 AM

Davo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud of
Send a message via MSN to Davo Send a message via Skype™ to Davo

I have had a pair of Dry Plus for 3yrs and they are on their last season. They are more Aquaseal than anything else by now.

The longest lasting pair I ever owned were Orvis neoprene waist highs I bought in 91. they lasted till 2004 before they were beyond repair. I would not go back to neoprene though. Way to hot in warm weather.

Upstream Anglers and Outdoor Adventures
Old 06-14-2008, 11:00 AM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

A pair of Simm's 'Guide weight' breathables, goin on 8-9 yrs and still goin strong.

"Whoever said happiness comes with sunshine, has never known a Steelhead fisherman who prays for Fall rains."

Old 06-14-2008, 11:04 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi to all,

You guys and gals are going to find it hard to beat me. I have a pair of Hodgen stocking foot waders I bought in 1954. I used them until I moved to Alaska in 1974. I still have them but they are starting to deteriorate. I use them ever once in a while just for the fun of it. I have a pair of neoprene waders that I bought in 1974 and used them in Alaska for 15 years. I used them for another 15 years in the lower 48. They are still in top shape. In 2005 I bought a pair of Simm's Guide Pants and that is my currant pair of waders. I have a pair of Ranger hip boats that I bought in 1976 and they just split this month beyond repair. I used them all over Alaska hunting and fishing. For the last 10 years I have use them when I loaded my boat so they didn't get a lot of use. Ranger made the best hip boats for years but they are now out of business.

I will try and get some pictures.

Frank
Old 06-14-2008, 11:47 AM

Fly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to behold

I've got an old pair of LaCrosse Duralight bootfoot hip waders that I bought in 1991. Although they got very little use since I wasn't fly-fishing for the following 15 years, amazingly they held up very well (with the exception of the rubber belt strap and a canvas knee brace partially eaten through by a critter) even though negligently stored in my "hot-&-humid-as-Hell" Gulf Coast garage, in fold-down position to boot (no pun intended)! Unfortunately, LaCrosse no longer makes these, but I was able to obtain an aftermarket replacement belt strap. Now I need to replace one felt sole that came off in my last Wyoming trip (any suggestions for glue?). Absolutely no leaks, however, even on what should have been a crease line where folded down.

My primary wader is a Cabela's lightweight traveler Guidelite Plus II, but I've only had them for a year or so with only a week's wear so far.
Old 06-14-2008, 04:33 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

Frank,
I'm thinking that we need to make you the "Star" in a magazine ad.......

"Whoever said happiness comes with sunshine, has never known a Steelhead fisherman who prays for Fall rains."

Old 06-14-2008, 07:09 PM

BlueDun has a spectacular aura aboutBlueDun has a spectacular aura about

I think Frank should post a photo of the Hodgen's!
Old 06-15-2008, 11:33 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyshstykr View Post
A pair of Simm's 'Guide weight' breathables, goin on 8-9 yrs and still goin strong.
I'm still using a pair of Simms Guides I got in 2001 and I haven't even had to patch a pinhole YET! Simms needs me to fish cold water more if they're gonna make much money off of me.

Actually, I got those waders the same time as a pair of Simms Guide boots I've used more often (also while wading wet with Simms guard socks) and they're still going strong too!

Side note- based on the Simms adv's I've seen, Frank's not nearly ugly enough to star in one.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 06-16-2008, 06:31 AM

HuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to HuronRiverDan

I have a pair of Hodgens? stockingfoots that I bought in the early 90's, still using them...

Dan