The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-07-2010, 09:13 PM

ranger0692 is on a distinguished road
Default Deal or Dud?

I ran across a deal on a G Loomis 4 wt rod that was a custom build for a guy in 2001. He is not sure which blank it is and I have not looked at it yet. It also comes with an Orvis Madison reel purchased at the same time. He says he used it twice. The deal also has waders, boots, fly tying equipment. $175.00.
Deal or dud?
Old 09-07-2010, 09:18 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Deal or Dud?

Sounds too good to be true! I'd suspect that the gear is stolen, but could be wrong.

Larry
Old 09-07-2010, 09:26 PM

ranger0692 is on a distinguished road

Cant be, it's on craigslist.
Old 09-07-2010, 09:37 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

I am skeptical but then that's just me. Nobody builds or has built a custom rod and does not know what it was built from. Further, An English built Madison is worth at least 85 dollars if it isn't beat up.

When you start doing the arithmetic this may be too good to be true. Fishing with someones lost gear could carry bad Juju.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 09-07-2010, 09:45 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger0692 View Post
Cant be, it's on craigslist.
Ranger: LMAO! That was great!

Larry
Old 09-08-2010, 03:33 AM

flores81 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnerney View Post
Ranger: LMAO! That was great!

Larry
yup, that was very nice.
Old 09-08-2010, 04:45 PM

ant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to behold

Would G Loomis have info on the rod if it was custom built? You might be able to check with the company on how ordered the rod to make sure everything is kosher.
FlyFishinado - My Fly Fishing Blog
Old 09-08-2010, 05:21 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ant View Post
Would G Loomis have info on the rod if it was custom built? You might be able to check with the company on how ordered the rod to make sure everything is kosher.

The answer would be 'no.' Several manufacturers do number 'their rods,' a warrenty thing I'd guess, but a custom? Not a chance if one of them comes in for a warranty repair.

A 'wheat from chaff' sort of thing?
Old 09-08-2010, 05:38 PM

crittergetter is just really nicecrittergetter is just really nicecrittergetter is just really nicecrittergetter is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by flores81 View Post
yup, that was very nice.
Especially since he accented it with the BIG SMiley griiiinnnnnnn
Old 09-08-2010, 05:47 PM

ant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredaevans View Post
The answer would be 'no.' Several manufacturers do number 'their rods,' a warrenty thing I'd guess, but a custom? Not a chance if one of them comes in for a warranty repair.

A 'wheat from chaff' sort of thing?
You would think that they would keep that info handy so they can bombard their customers with "Special Deals"....
FlyFishinado - My Fly Fishing Blog