The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-15-2008, 09:11 AM

tedc is on a distinguished road
Default price difference

I need a new rod and reel and want to know what the difference between a $100 and a $500 is. I live on lake Ontario but do most of my fishing in small ponds. Any suggestion on a set up. Thanks
Old 06-15-2008, 10:29 AM
jose will become famous soon enoughjose will become famous soon enough
Default Re: price difference

It's $400

Sorry, I couldn't help it.

I think there are many different ways to look at it and many factors to consider, so the answer to your question is mostly personal on so many levels. There's an FAQ link on rods here that you might want to take a look at and some great discussions here to look through. For me, I guess higher cost would mean: life time warranty (or as close as I can get to that), where they fix it no matter what, and taking up a lot of the seller's time test casting many rods to make sure that I get the one that is right for me. I would never spend a lot on a rod that I have not cast, but that's me, and a lot for me may be a little to others anyway. I would think with more money comes less weight, stronger material, better guides, etc.

Best of luck in deciding.

Enjoy the waters...and the fish
Old 06-15-2008, 10:32 AM

shorthaul will become famous soon enough

Hi tedc

400 dollars?---sorry---couldnt pass that up!

A lot depends how much experience you have and how much you fish and what you expect from your tackle---some people shop price only while others need to get a deal. Some need bragging rights on how much they spend while others require only the best in performance or the newest hot setup.

Some of the rods that are out today are truly remarkable and can be had in the 200-300 dollar range---The Echo and TFO rods are impressive as are the lower end Sages

a middle range line can be had around 50 bucks and many reels can be had for 100-150 for something around a 3 or 4wt setup
By going to used gear off ebay can get some really nice things but you have to know what youre looking at and its value.

Its a lot easier finding tackle that costs more

It all depends on what you want out of the gear , how long you are going to keep it and how much you use it. Im sure you can find a 100 outfit its not going to be a top shelf item---the 500 dollar outfit is getting into the midrange.

Hope that helps
Mike
Old 06-15-2008, 10:37 AM

Davo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud of
Send a message via MSN to Davo Send a message via Skype™ to Davo

Here is the FAQ link for low cost outfits

http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/fo...nner-3800.html

Upstream Anglers and Outdoor Adventures
Old 06-15-2008, 12:11 PM
jose will become famous soon enoughjose will become famous soon enough

Here's a post that has some good discussion that might help: http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/fo...nced-4015.html
Old 06-15-2008, 02:47 PM

marcelnl is on a distinguished road

I'm with Jose , it all comes down to the law of diminishing returns.....

Your budget and zeast for FF will determine the price ceiling you're comfortable with . I'd go with the general info to determine what exactly you need, then set your budget and find some great gear following the advice readily available on this board and others.

To draw a parallel to high end audio; what is the difference between an 2000US$ audio kit and a 200.000 US$?
There are great sets to be had for a tenth of the maximum mentioned, whereas the lower price range also manages to fill a room with sound.
Old 06-16-2008, 08:38 AM
Curtis will become famous soon enoughCurtis will become famous soon enough
Send a message via MSN to Curtis

There is no reason you cannot buy the lower priced set up and be perfectly pleased with it. I see no point in spending five hundred dollars on a rod. I fish with an Albright GP rod and it is my favorite. I went through the high priced stage years ago and have fished with about every brand out there.

I still love the GP and I got it for 30% off the $95 price tag.

Great rods don't have to be expensive. You pay alot for the name printed on it.
Old 06-16-2008, 11:21 AM

troutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to behold

Does that GP have a lifetime warranty though? When I buy or build a rod, to me it must have a lifetime warranty. You never know what's going to happen on the river or during transport. I've seen too many friends buying a new setup because theirs broke(tip snapped, drunk buddy stepped on it, etc) and didn't have a warranty. It's worth a little extra for that IMO.
Old 06-17-2008, 10:30 AM

Flyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of light
Default Two reasons my flyfishing life is suddenly looking up!

Author deleted post