The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-07-2010, 11:13 PM

grousehunter49 is on a distinguished road
Default How long do it take a fly to turn into a fish

I must have a 100 thousand miles on me now, chasen them bloody trout up and down the river, I look up the steady ,there jumpen everywhere, I go up there and there jumpen down where I just left, nobody there only me, got it all to myself, and still cant get a good one, scattered small one, it,s comical, it,s insane, I believe i,m loseing it:
Old 09-07-2010, 11:18 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: How long do it take a fly to turn into a fish

If I lived close to you I would help you. Where are you at, maybe you are close enough to another member who could help you. I have read your posts, you are doing something wrong but I have no way to know what it may be from here in Alaska

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 09-08-2010, 07:43 AM

webrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: How long do it take a fly to turn into a fish

When I first started it was the same, don't lose hope, it will happen, with the help of someone or on your own through reading what others have to share on this forum. Key elements here are drift, approach and presentation, and it never hurts to have the right or similar fly.

Approach: if you are wandering into fish and they dissappear as you approach, you are making too much noise or too much commotion - move slowly into the area where you want to fish, then stand for a minute or two and wait for them to start feeding again.

Presentation: If there are fish feeding on the surface, you know you need to present to them on the surface, if not on the surface, you need to figure out where they are feeding - then a nymph or emerger is the ticket and you need to get it near them (generally above - upstream - where they are feeding) without splashing your line down and spooking them off. I try to get my line above them at an angle to where they are (don't put line directly over them) and throw in a quick mend to allow the fly to drift naturally.

Drift: this is the tricky part, depending on what kind of water you are fishing, in a fast river, drift can be difficult, with a dry fly, I tend to use a reach cast and keep my casts to 30 feet or so, too much longer and it is hard to control how the varying currents affect the fly. Try to make the fly drift at the same speed as the natural flys on the water, or at least at the same speed as the bubble line (white foamy looking stuff).

Fly: I am not one who believes you have to get an exact match to what is hatching, however, a close one is important. If the fish are feeding on yellow or brown bugs, then a red or black one does not always elicit a response from them. Try to pick a bug that is similar to what they are feeding on - similar in size and color and this will get you in the game. Take a minute to look at what is on the river, find a similar fly and it can make a lot of difference in your catch rate.

All that said, there is nothing quite like having a friend who knows how to fish and catch fish spend some time with you.

I am in Reno NV, if your close, let me know and we can wet a line or there are other, more experienced folks in this area that I am sure would be willing to help out.

If not in this area, let folks on this forum know where you are, we have some great folks here who are always willing to get a line wet or help out with advice, I know, I was having the same issues you are and learned from reading this forum, time on the water, and the help of a friend or two - since, I have assited my best friend in learning how to catch fish. He is now more addicted then I am to the "art" of fly fishing.

One last thing, it takes a long time for a fish to grow large, and the large, strong, healthy ones make for the best breeders, if you can find it in your heart to let the big ones go so they can make more, you are doing yourself, your future fishing, and others a big favor - this is my opinion, and not necessarily shared by all, but I believe in catch and release, I hope you do also.

Dave