The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-15-2008, 10:36 PM

9ason is on a distinguished road
Default Cabela's is the Devil

Cabela's, specifically the Bargain Cave is the Devil.

Took my family to the Cabela's in Ft. Worth this weekend with a list of two things, a Danvise and a Surefire A2. Picked up the Danvise and found the Surefire, but they only had the red LED version so I grabbed it anyway. This was to be my father's day gift. Anyway, we went back down stairs to the Bargain Cave and found the A2. This normally runs $195, but they had one with "bad main bulb" but good LEDs for $85. I grabbed it and took the other one back upstairs. Now I asked the girl helping us if I could try a new set of batteries in the $85. Sure enough that was the only problem and it worked like a champ.

Then we went back to the Bargain Cave and found a Scott A2 803/4 for $130 and a Sage Fli 890 (2 piece) for 135. I could not pass those up so I got them as well. Do you see where I am going with this? Well the new rods need line and reels so I found some Scientific Angler and Rio lines for $25 each and a CSR reel for $35. My 3 wt. set up was complete for less than $200 which isn't bad considering the rods alone are up towards $300 each.

I didn't even know Cabela's sold Scott rods I am glad I found this when I did. I went out and fished with it today and it is amazing, we had high winds and I was still able to cast well, I was worried with it being a 3 wt and all, but it held up. I didn't catch anything though.

We bought some other stuff in the Cave, but we won't be going back.....any time soon, we have to recover from this time now
Old 06-15-2008, 10:49 PM

MrEsox is a jewel in the roughMrEsox is a jewel in the roughMrEsox is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Cabela's is the Devil

I am guilty of that too. I have spent so much $$$ with them (and so has my father) that I think we own stock in them now I find it hard not to drop over $300 each time going into one. I got to travel a long long ways to get to the nearest one but when I get there, ya they get a lot of $$$ from me. I got a x-mas card from some of their employies one year saying how they apreciate me shopping there and droppign so much coin that I pay their salaries. I also think one told me how I helped put one of their kids through college

Actually the last 3 times I have gone into one I've walked out with a much lighter wallet and check book. Lastly well, lets just way it is a good thing that I dont have much $$$ these days since I'd hit their gun alley and really be broke. Got too many expensive hobbies.
Old 06-16-2008, 12:40 AM

FlyRichardFly will become famous soon enoughFlyRichardFly will become famous soon enough

I'm the same way. Every time I go to Cabelas I spend so much on tackle...... I must be insane!
I have finally kicked the habit! Now I only shop at Orvis on the internet. If I really need something fast, just $20 for overnight delivery at my door! LOL It costs me way more to drive to Cabelas when gas is $4/gal.
At this stage of my flyfishing life I really don't need a minimum wage kid telling me what rod he likes better!!
I like the big tanks at Cabelas with the fish, but I've seen them a dozen times.
Even at Cabelas, it was usually 25% of the stuff I wanted wasn't there. Online you can get anything you want...... just click the mouse.
Now you've got me wanting again. I think I'll go to Orvis.com and order some tying stuff for my fly tying thrills this week.

"People are crazy, times are strange"
"I'm locked in tight, I'm out of range"
"I used to care, but things have changed"
- Dylan
Old 06-17-2008, 12:43 PM

9ason is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrEsox View Post
I am guilty of that too. I have spent so much $$$ with them (and so has my father) that I think we own stock in them now I find it hard not to drop over $300 each time going into one. I got to travel a long long ways to get to the nearest one but when I get there, ya they get a lot of $$$ from me. I got a x-mas card from some of their employies one year saying how they apreciate me shopping there and droppign so much coin that I pay their salaries. I also think one told me how I helped put one of their kids through college

Actually the last 3 times I have gone into one I've walked out with a much lighter wallet and check book. Lastly well, lets just way it is a good thing that I dont have much $$$ these days since I'd hit their gun alley and really be broke. Got too many expensive hobbies
I have a hard time in Cabela's so I don't even go into the gun/hunting area unless I need something

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyRichardFly View Post
I'm the same way. Every time I go to Cabelas I spend so much on tackle...... I must be insane!
I have finally kicked the habit! Now I only shop at Orvis on the internet. If I really need something fast, just $20 for overnight delivery at my door! LOL It costs me way more to drive to Cabelas when gas is $4/gal.
At this stage of my flyfishing life I really don't need a minimum wage kid telling me what rod he likes better!!
I like the big tanks at Cabelas with the fish, but I've seen them a dozen times.
Even at Cabelas, it was usually 25% of the stuff I wanted wasn't there. Online you can get anything you want...... just click the mouse.
Now you've got me wanting again. I think I'll go to Orvis.com and order some tying stuff for my fly tying thrills this week.
Whenever I go to Ft. Worth/Dallas I hit up Orvis, REI, Cabela's, sometimes eat at Bass Pro so we have a pretty full day. And Orvis can be pretty bad too, last time I went to Orvis, I walked out with two reels each with line. That set me back a few hundred, but definitely worth it. I think I will wait for an Orvis deal for a reel for my 8 wt., seems like the only way I can afford to fish with it .
Old 06-17-2008, 09:17 PM

da Bear is on a distinguished road

Hey fella's,
I've got a few years on me now, and one thing holds true in this world today. Big name companies, politicians and pastors don't get where they are by being rigorously honest and up front w/ people. Every one today is out for YOUR dollar, and will go to great lengths to get it. Nuff' said. Take care.
Old 06-18-2008, 09:30 PM

Fly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to behold
Thumbs down Re: Cabela's is the Devil

Quote:
Originally Posted by da Bear View Post
Hey fella's,
I've got a few years on me now, and one thing holds true in this world today. Big name companies, politicians and pastors don't get where they are by being rigorously honest and up front w/ people. Every one today is out for YOUR dollar, and will go to great lengths to get it. Nuff' said. Take care.
I've probably got more years on me than you do, and what you say is true- at least as regards politicians & pastors - but I'm not sure what it has to do with Cabela's. They've always treated me right (& I've spent a bunch of money with them, with a lot of returns, etc.), so if you're intimating that they're dishonest with their customers, I strongly disagree.
Old 06-20-2008, 10:07 AM

flyfisher45 has a spectacular aura aboutflyfisher45 has a spectacular aura aboutflyfisher45 has a spectacular aura about

I to spend to much money at cabela's, It does have everything.
Old 06-20-2008, 12:50 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi to all,

We don't have a Cabela's here in Florida but we have a bunch of Bass Pro's and we just got a Gander Mountain and a Dick's. So lots of places to spend my money.

I am not an impulse buyer and I study and study and look and look and think and think and then I buy. While this drives my wife crazy when I buy something it is exactly what I want and there are no surprises. The only thing I every returned was a pair of waders to LL Bean. Having said that, now that I have been retired for several years I have bought some things based on cost instead of application. Those buys always ends up with something I wish I had not bought. So I don't buy anything now based on cost alone.

Frank
Old 06-22-2008, 12:16 AM

GeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to GeorgeMcFly Send a message via Yahoo to GeorgeMcFly

all in all those are some great deals ya got. I would of had to do the same thing being in your shoes.

owner of the GL Fishing Forum.
Old 06-25-2008, 02:01 PM

STARMedic is on a distinguished road

Cabela's taught me an important lesson this past week. On the way back from a Fire Academy in Dallas I stopped by the Cabela's in Buda....Found my way to the fly fishing dept and commenced my search for blue sky furled leaders.... Out of the two guys that were working in that department, one spoke and assisted me briefly talking down to me the entire time....the other one basically averted his eyes and walked out of the department when the other salesperson took the first opportunity to get away from me and discontinue the help process....

The lesson that should be imparted on these jackholes is this.....dont judge a person cause they are wearing different clothes than you.....

The lesson I learned is this.....While pining away for weeks at this academy and dreaming of where to spend my money I should have skipped Cabela's and spent my money with Mr. Robbin's at the Full Creel.....cause whilst Ive never once met him, he's never seen my tattoo's or attire, he has always treated me like a customer and friend....

FWIW, I believe the lack of interest was generated by the fact that I was wearing mma shorts, flip flops, and a cage fighter shirt....along with the fact that my arms are inked 3/4 of the way down....

Customer service is a dying art form....

Bruce