The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-15-2008, 10:40 PM

MrEsox is a jewel in the roughMrEsox is a jewel in the roughMrEsox is a jewel in the rough
Default Hooks

Lets talk hooks just a bit. I over the past few years that I have been tieing have come to a result that I like some hooks over others. I have tried a type (some call it a salmon hook) that has a break away front but dont like them. I tend to go back and epoxy the front to stop it from pulling apart for the fish they are going for. There are a few types of hooks that I have not tried. Circle hooks I would like to try. Though I, and the fish I catch, may not be the best at hooking with them. I got a few things that I look for when picking up hooks for differant patterns. Just wondering what everyone else looks for in a hook.
Old 06-18-2008, 03:35 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton
Default Re: Hooks

Hi MrEsox,

Hooks are an interesting subject. The circle hook would only be useful for subsurface fishing. The problem with circle hooks is you have to let the fish take the fly and swim away with it. The angler only applies pressure and the fish hooks its self in the corner of the mouth. Most circle hooks are made for bait fishing or when fishing plastics for fish like bass. I have never tried a circle hook in a fly. It seems that the way circle hooks work they would not be good for fly fishing.

Frank
Old 06-18-2008, 05:01 PM

HuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to HuronRiverDan

Hooks are a very personal thing....I tye a lot of egg patterns and caddis for steelhead fishing. I like the scud style hooks for sucker spawn; but my favorite hook for all types of my steelhead flies is the Eagle Claw style #42...I tie eggs, caddis larvae, caddis pupae, and yes even sucker spawn on it, I like the wide bend offset hook. The thing I like about them also is the price, they're a heck of a lot cheaper then most of the others and pretty tough.

Frank I have a friend who ties some of his redfish flies on circle hooks and he likes them a lot. I think half the battle on hooks is if the tier/fisherman is confident that they will do the job for him.

Dan
Old 06-18-2008, 06:09 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi Dan,

Yes, I think saltwater would be a place that a circle hook may work on a fly. I was making my comments with trout in mind but didn't make that clear. Some saltwater fish would pick up a fly and swim off with it with out thinking about spitting it out like a trout would.

Frank
Old 06-18-2008, 08:40 PM

MrEsox is a jewel in the roughMrEsox is a jewel in the roughMrEsox is a jewel in the rough

Hm, well I do tend to use any hooks I can get that looks like it works. A lot of times I end up with live bait hooks of some sort. I like long shanks over anything. I've tried circle hooks on and off walleye fishing. They do work well, buy as was stated the fish does the work. Not the best if a fish tends to grab and spit. I have tried circle hooks for pike and that proved to be worthless. I know a lot of shows on outdoor TV that are salties use cirlce hooks. But then again a lot of it is using live bait or for fish that tend to goble baits insted of just hitting them. It be hard to get trout on a circle fly...that is true. However, the one thing I do like about circle hooks is the amount of space between the hook and the shank. I find no matter what fish a wide gapped hook is the best, if you can get buy with it.