The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-16-2008, 09:45 PM

Creigh is on a distinguished road
Default new to fly fishing

Ok, so I am a 15 year old high schooler that lives in central Indiana near Purdue university. I am an avid fisherman fisherman, but have never fly fished before. I have always thought that it looked fun. So first of all, I am looking to catch some smallmouth bass in my local creek, or pond. I might catch some bluegill here and there. What rod and reel should I look for? I am trying to stay as cheap as possible. Also, should I take a class to learn how to fish with a fly rod?

Thanks in advance,

Creigh
Old 06-16-2008, 10:00 PM

Davo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud of
Send a message via MSN to Davo Send a message via Skype™ to Davo
Default Re: new to fly fishing

Hi Creigh

Welcome to the forum and to fly fishing. Before you start worrying about what rod & reel to get I would recommend a lesson or two. find a local fly shop that offers lessons will help you get the basics down. Also once you know the basics you will be able to test a few rods and reels to see what fits best with your casting style. In the long run it can save you money!!

Upstream Anglers and Outdoor Adventures
Old 06-17-2008, 12:27 AM

Bigfishjr. is on a distinguished road

For rod and reels it all depends on what you can spend. Obviously you get what you pay for but like you im also 15 and money can be a pain to get. Probably a less expencive rod that is still nice are T.F.O. ( temple fork outfitter) they can run from anywhere between 120-350. they also have a no questions ask warrenty with is great. Also Buelah rods are inexpencive. I started out with a rod and reel kit from sportmans for like 80 dollars and wish i put more research before i bought. as far as reels i know that orvis battenkeels II or III are nice as well as the Pflueger Trion and the nwe Lambson Konic.
then you have line. which is big and itself is another 60 dollars but i got away with some 30 dollar line. dont go to big at first cuase its not a cheap sport. i learned that the hard way.

hope you stay with it all man. good luck.
Old 06-17-2008, 01:33 PM

Dry fly magic is on a distinguished road

Hey welcome to the forum, I was in your shoes last year. I was 13 with little money and a big desire to fly fish. If I were you id look at wal-mart for a "crystal river ready to fish finalist rod" its a great starter set with everything you need. Better yet id look at the scientific anglers fly rod outfit which should be there too. It comes with everything you need plus an instructional dvd on how to fly fish. The set costs 80-100 for the whole thing plus a few flies would be around 10 dollars. Id look around for someone in your neighborhood as well who ties flys as you can usually get them cheaper then store bought ones. If these rods arent there heres a guideline to go by. Look into around a 5-6 weight rod with floating fly line. Go with a simple 1 spool reel. For leader material look at something in the 5-6 pound range. I use maxima ultra green stuff but other people use whatever they can find. Some knots you need to learn to tie are the following - Castwell knot (fly line to leader) - Arbor knot (backing to flyreel) - Surgeons loop (requird for castwell knot and loop2loop connections) - Clinch knot (Too attatch leader to fly). You can either use the nail knot or albright knot to attatch your backing to fly line but these require alot of practice as they are quite difficult. Some flies to look at for smallmouth bass and bluegills are - Poppers (cast out let set and twitch your rod to make it splash a little then puase and repeat) - Renegade fly (I catch alot of smallies on this, cast out and let sink just below surface and do either a fast or slow strip in depending on what they are taking). Green machine (Turns into a wet fly fast, I find it works well with a medium retrive) - Clouser minnow (This is a streamer which I don't have alot of experince with but it catches alot of bass, my guess is to cast and strip in at medium pace) - Wooly Bugger (Another great bass fly, cast out and as soon as it hits the water strip in. Also try and twitch your rod to give it some life)
Im not sure if your new to fishing in general, but if you are when you feel or see the fish take your fly grab the fly line hold it tight and pull while lifting up your rod sharply to set the hook. If the fish is less then about 2 pounds big just strip him in. If hes bigger play him off the reel.

On another note practicing on the front lawn helped me alot when I was starting out, hope you get to as good a start as i did. Good luck and tight lines.
Old 06-17-2008, 05:38 PM

devon flyfisher will become famous soon enoughdevon flyfisher will become famous soon enough

That is some good advice above, when i started out i could only get a book,there were no videos let alone dvd's!
But the dvd's available today are superb, i'm thinking of Mel Krieger and a UK fisherman called Michael Evans, but better still get a hands on lesson if possible.
If you practice on grass,when you have finished ALWAYS clean your fly line,warm soapy water or better still a fline line cleaner.
There is nothing like dirt/grit to shorten the life of a fly line.
You should be able to perfect your over head casting on the lawn, but you will need water to try the roll cast.
Best of luck in your new found hobby...sorry addiction!
Cheers
Richard
Old 06-17-2008, 05:54 PM

jclampwork88 will become famous soon enoughjclampwork88 will become famous soon enough

I agree with the advice that others have given. I would also try to find someone to go with. I first learned from my father, he showed me the ropes. Then when I got married, I fished alot with my father-in-law. To keep a long story short, a few buddies to go with and learn together. I wouldn't be where I am now if it wasn't for the kindness of others.

John
Old 06-17-2008, 06:14 PM

Bigfishjr. is on a distinguished road

youtube is also a great place to llok for fishing techniques.

also Sexyloops - the best fly fishing and fly casting on-line magazine, seven days a week is a great place to help your cast.
Old 06-17-2008, 11:05 PM

This is just a general question about fly fishing. With regular fishing the fish find the lure in murky waters because the lure usually creates a disturbance in the water, or it flashes light. In fly fishing, how do fish find the fly if the water is murky? Just a newb question.
Old 06-17-2008, 11:26 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

Hello Creigh,
Fish will generally find flies in the same way, water disturbance or brighter colors, but often times it will slow down a bit.

I'm a fellow 'Hoosier', I was born in Lafayette, and moved out West when I was 9yrs old.
Where are you at?

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm probably wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

http://www.wasatchguideservice.com/

Old 06-17-2008, 11:43 PM

I am actually in Lafayette.