The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-09-2010, 09:32 AM

flymoron is on a distinguished road
Default Good Pack/Travel rod,advice?

Does anybody have any good recommendations for a travel/pack rod? I recently ordered a fly rod that was sent in a crush proof case(and it was crushed). It made me reconsider the real short travel rods, I was looking at below $200.

thanks

flymoron
Old 09-09-2010, 10:31 AM

cattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to all
Default Re: Good Pack/Travel rod,advice?

Hey there Flymoron.
I dont know what weight rod youre looking for but I was recently checking out my local fly shop and they have Redington rods. They are not my first choice, or second, but after I was told they were ownes by Sage I humored them. I was looking for a 3wt and the only one he had was an 8'6" 6pc in the Classic Trout series. I was a little skeptical of the six pieces but after 45min oc casting my opinion changed. Smooth and buttery and with three false casts and a doble haul I could have 50' of line out easy. Thats not always neccessary on a three weight but still.......
I dont know if I choose a six piece for my "everyday rod," but for a travel rod I would definitely recommend it. The best part is that the rod tube is 18"!
I think the price was $160 give or take a little. Check em out. Hope this helps.

It's not what I catch when I'm fishing, it's what I lose that matters to me...
----------------------------------------
Good decisions come from experience...Experience comes from bad decisions...
Old 09-09-2010, 10:41 AM

RayMO is on a distinguished road

Orvis ClearWater II rods. Less than 200 and come in great travel tubes. I have two of them and they are great. The return policy and 25 year warenty are pretty nice also.
Old 09-09-2010, 10:57 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Check out the Redington Classic Trout pack rods. They are available in two sizes: 8'0" 3 weight and 9'0" 5 weight. They are six piece rods with moderate actions. They are smooth casting rods that are accurate. If you can't find them through your local retailer, one of the forum sponsors, reelflyrod.com, advertises them. Most retailers will sell them for $149.

MP

Last edited by MoscaPescador; 09-09-2010 at 10:58 AM. Reason: typo
Old 09-15-2010, 02:48 PM

eldermike is on a distinguished road

I have a 4 weight Orvis travel rod, had for years now. It's been in the side bag of my harley on every trip I have taken. It's a great rod.
Old 09-15-2010, 08:18 PM

MBWCC is a jewel in the roughMBWCC is a jewel in the roughMBWCC is a jewel in the rough

I have a 3 wt Orvis Frequent Traveler which is my favorite backpacking and compact travel fly rod. The rod tube is standard diameter and less than 20" length--basically designed to fit within the width and depth of a standard hardside briefcase.
Old 09-16-2010, 06:00 PM

coot is on a distinguished road

Orvis Silver label 4 piece...no longer made but available on eBay

Last edited by coot; 09-17-2010 at 05:26 AM.
Old 09-16-2010, 08:06 PM

ant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to behold

If you wanted to try something a little different, you could go with a Tenkara rod.

Tenkara USA
FlyFishinado - My Fly Fishing Blog
Old 09-17-2010, 04:59 AM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute

I have a March Brown Hidden Waters 7 piece 7'0" 4 wt. that I carry in one of the side bags on my motorcycle. It's very fishable, compacts down to 15" (including the cordua case), goes together well, doesn't come apart with heavy casting and has a good feel with a fish on the line. When I'm riding, if I see a stream that looks interesting (frankly, then all look interesting, which is one of the reasons that my rides aren't very long anymore! ), I hop off, gear up and spend an hour or so on the new stream. Fit with a Lamson Litespeed 1.5, it's a nice rod/reel combination; light in the hand and fun to fish.

Have a look:

March Brown 7 Piece Travel Fly Rods, Great rods at an incredible price

Pocono

Last edited by Pocono; 09-17-2010 at 06:45 PM.
Old 09-19-2010, 02:55 PM

45fisher is on a distinguished road

If I don't build my own I get my stuff from FFB-Fly Fishing Benefactors Great stuff and they support a number of worthy causes Project Healing Waters, the Virginia Fly Fishing Festival, Reel Recovery and Casting for Recovery.

This is my spare rod that goes with me whenever I'm out.

$139.00 5wt-7p with sock and hard tube
Mountain Pack Rod