The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-27-2009, 08:29 PM

BigNick is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Best way to kill a fish?

Hey Frank, no I'm talking about wade fishing. I use my live well when I'm in my boat and if I don't catch enough to cook I just release them at the end of the day.
I guess since we are talking about trout vs pan fish here, there would be a difference in how we put them on a stringer. With pan fish you never go thru the gills, kills them dead, you put it thru the thin lower portion of their lip thru a thin membrame that will not hurt them. They'll stay alive all day but when it's warmer you do have to watch out for snakes feeding on them. But I don't guess trout have this membrame since their mouths are completely different. I had in mind trout fishing and wading but I don't know how the stringer thru the gills would affect them.
Hey, that's what makes this forum interesting, people from all across the county read and post. Nothing wrong with hearing how people in other places fish. Makes it interesting.
Big Nick
Old 03-23-2009, 01:58 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry fly magic View Post
I know not all of you keep your fish and I don't keep all of them either but sometimes I keep a couple trout for the dinner table. (Please dont flame me for this topic). Now for us who keep a few fish for the dinner table, what do you think is the fastest, easiest, and most eithical way to kill your catch? Usually with little pan trout I catch I hit the back of their head over a rock hard or take my thumb and push on their neck until it breaks. What would you do for bigger fish that you intend to keep? What do you think the best way to kill your catch is? Any thoughts and opinions are apprechiated.
I have tried all the standard methods of dispatching salmon and found that using my Gerber speed blade with a spear point is the quickest. Bar None!

Use a stout knife with a sharp point and drive it directly down through the skull / spine / brain all in one stroke. Job done and believe me they are dead not just stunned. This also serves to bleed the fish out.

I know someone will of course challenge my method but I kill in the vicinity of 100 or more salmon per season and will stick to my guns on this one.
Old 03-23-2009, 03:06 PM

dmwphoto has a spectacular aura aboutdmwphoto has a spectacular aura aboutdmwphoto has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
vicinity of 100 or more salmon per season and will stick to my guns on this one.
.357 will do a nice job..... just kidding

To me, the journey of learning is almost more fun than arriving at the destination of knowing.
Old 03-23-2009, 04:51 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute

DMW,

I heartily agree! I might add that nothing alerts the other anglers in the area of your success quite like the report of a magnum.

Fro all you new people remember, aim for the head so you don't ruin the meat.

Ard
Old 03-23-2009, 05:25 PM

sonicimpulse is on a distinguished road

I use a plastic stringer that is very easy to clean when I'm done using it. What I do is hook the fish threw there bottom mouth. I added an extra 10 foot of rope so they have room to move around. When I'm fishing the rivers I make sure I keep them in an area I already fished so I don't spook my next hole. When I head back to the car I have a cooler with salt water and ice ready for the fish. There usually dead by the time I get home so I don't have to do any crazy slaughter and or destructive stuff and feel bad about what I'm doing.
Old 03-23-2009, 05:28 PM
Administrator

Sonic,

I think the idea was how to kill them in a humane fashion. Your way sounds like a slow, confusing and cruel death compared to a blade through the brain.
Old 03-23-2009, 06:57 PM

KRD will become famous soon enough

If i know I am fishing for dinner, I come prepared. I catch it, then use my Ka-bar and one good wack usally takes the head right off and clean it right there. I like to get the guts out ASAP. never thought of letting them bleed out. How do you cut the gills to do this? Does it kill them right away?
Old 03-23-2009, 07:12 PM
Administrator

KRD,

I've seen people cut the gills on salmon to bleed the fish but it doesn't appear to kill em right away. My stab in the spine / brain kills em about as quick as your method and if I remember I cut the gills also after the braining. I've got to leave the heads so that I have something to carry the fish by on the walk back to camp or car.

Bleeding them out helps to eliminate that coagulated blood in the meniscus under the spine and along the spine itself.
Old 03-23-2009, 07:50 PM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

I caught a HUGE stocked trout last year, and whacked on the head with
my knife handle....about 5 times . I thought he was out (I had to
wrestle with this fish after getting him to the bank), but about 15 minutes
later, I saw him flopping around on shore. I gave him another whack so he
would hold still while I stabbed in in the brain. That should have done it, but
I must have missed! That guy started wiggling again on the walk back to the
car. A mother, father, and little girl walked past me on the path, and I was
holding a fat 15" bloody and wiggling trout with a length of 0X leader material
(I don't carry a creel). I don't know if that girl will ever attempt to fish in her
life .
Old 03-24-2009, 07:27 AM

Tracker12 will become famous soon enoughTracker12 will become famous soon enough

I keep vry few fish these days but when I do it is with a cut thru the gills so they can bleed out. Much better table fair when done that way especially with salt water fish.