The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-09-2010, 04:42 PM

sevenmxf is on a distinguished road
Default Onychophagia-B-Gone. Hello whites of my nails.

Hi. My name is Michael and I suffer from Onychophagia. Or... at least, I did.

A nibble here. A nibble there. A broken tooth followed by a finger infection. Yes, folks, it's called Onychophagia (also known as compulsive nail biting) and I've been very discrete, yet very persistent, about this nasty habit since I was a young adult. Until six weeks ago that is...

Six weeks ago is precisely the time when I started fly fishing. I've not placed a finger nail between my teeth since that time. I'm positive that there's no coincidence. My nails are now safe from my chompers and I've seen the white parts of the nail tips for the first time in 30 years of so. I've even had to trim them for Godsake (PM me if you'd like to see high-res photos). I'm also rather certain that fly fishing's "tonic" has provided many more benefits as well. Pretty sweet stuff.

Nope. Fly fishing hasn't made me give up drinkin' a fine ale or glass or three of Mendoza Malbec on a frequent basis. But that's a whole 'nother matter.

Cheers, all - and tight lines this weekend!
Michael
Old 09-09-2010, 05:32 PM

twfitw is a jewel in the roughtwfitw is a jewel in the roughtwfitw is a jewel in the roughtwfitw is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Onychophagia-B-Gone. Hello whites of my nails.

Haha... nice post and congratulations! Who knows what'll happen next!
Old 09-09-2010, 05:45 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Congrats, but beware the compulsion to begin fly tying and accumulating massive quantities of materials is just around the corner and it is a very addictive habit to kick!

Larry
Old 09-09-2010, 06:30 PM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

Cool! Fly fishing gives me a serenity that nothing else does....
Old 09-09-2010, 09:26 PM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute

I think larry might be right---- it might be a question of out of the pan and into the fire....

--- but welcome to the flames.
Old 09-10-2010, 11:44 AM

Bigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Bigfly

Michael, this is funny stuff.
I've never bitten my nails, but for 35yrs, I've bitten my lip everytime I drift a dry over a large fish. I don't think there is a cure for this.
Some things you just have to live with.

Jim

Bigfly

Last edited by Bigfly; 09-13-2010 at 10:03 AM.