The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-10-2010, 08:26 AM

Rifleman1776 is on a distinguished road
Default might give it up

For about two months I have been trying to learn the 'what' 'why' and 'how' of fly fishing with plans to start the hobby.
I may just give up on the whole thing and go another direction.
In a nutshell, I don't need a new religion, I already have one that serves me well. I just don't know how anything so complicated can be called fun. There are other ways to catch fish. Catching fish and relaxing time outdoors is what I am interested in.
Fly fishing seems to be the antithesis of the "relaxing" part.
I'll check in here now and then while I continue trying to learn and make my decision.
Old 09-10-2010, 08:58 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: might give it up

... It's not as difficult or complicated as some people would like you to think.
I think the hardest part is deciphering the difference between what you really need to get it done and what is just marketing hype.
Old 09-10-2010, 09:31 AM

ghostdncr has a spectacular aura aboutghostdncr has a spectacular aura about

Fly fishing does have quite the learning curve to it.

With perseverance, one day you'll find yourself looking at an almost imperceptible seam in the river's current. You'll know there's a fish holding just inside it. You'll start setting up a cast and may even stop to change flies without consciously asking why you're doing it. You'll cast upstream from where you think the fish is idling, alighting your fly on an imaginary target about the size of an average coffee cup...

Later, when your looking down at the glistening, exhausted fish resting in your hand, you won't think of the learning curve. Or the money. Or the frustration. Or the time "wasted". You won't be thinking much of anything, probably. You'll be so utterly focused on the moment at hand that there's nothing but stillness beyond you, the fish, and your shared river.

When was the last time you felt that?
Old 09-10-2010, 10:08 AM

okuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via Yahoo to okuma

Fly fishing is similar to hunting. Your prey is stalked. You learn to read the water for movement of fish, rises, and different seams of current. ( same as structure fishing conventionally). It's about stealth. It's about being absorbed in the surrounding circling you. If you tie, it''s about the sense of knowing the creature you created fooled a fish. For me, it's about a sense of solitude that no other fishing can give me. My advice, keep it simple. Choose only a small variance of flies and learn from that. And as I told Ant once, it's all in how you hold your lower lip. (joking)
Old 09-10-2010, 10:19 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Rifleman: Trying to learn to fly fish on your own is difficult at best. It would be a whole lot easier to learn if you had a mentor to help. One way to find a mentor is to join a fly fishing club in your area. Take a look around, ask the local fly shop or get on-line and look for a Trout Unlimited Chapter in your area. Another approach would be to sign up for a fly fishing school, there are a number out there, the one that comes to mind is Orvis, but do an on-line search to see if there are any locally. You might also ask you local fly shop, having someone show you the basics will go a long ways in learning to fly fish. Maybe just starting a thread on this forum and ask if anyone lives near you and would be interested in fishing together. Good luck!

Larry
Old 09-10-2010, 10:20 AM

tyler185 is a name known to alltyler185 is a name known to alltyler185 is a name known to alltyler185 is a name known to alltyler185 is a name known to alltyler185 is a name known to all

It took me two years of trying it off and on. I would try it for a couple of times with no luck or i couldnt get my cast right so I would switch back to my spinning gear. This spring it all came together and I have had a ton of success. I cant tell you how much I have learn just this year. Every time I go out I learn something new.

So just stick with it. It will come to you...it sure did for me.
Old 09-10-2010, 10:20 AM

gordon in nc has a spectacular aura aboutgordon in nc has a spectacular aura aboutgordon in nc has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rifleman1776 View Post
For about two months I have been trying to learn the 'what' 'why' and 'how' of fly fishing with plans to start the hobby.
I may just give up on the whole thing and go another direction.
In a nutshell, I don't need a new religion, I already have one that serves me well. I just don't know how anything so complicated can be called fun. There are other ways to catch fish. Catching fish and relaxing time outdoors is what I am interested in.
Fly fishing seems to be the antithesis of the "relaxing" part.
I'll check in here now and then while I continue trying to learn and make my decision.
How Do Rifleman1776 ...

Boy, can I relate to your feelings, at least to a degree ....

I have fished with "other methods" if you will, for over 55 years and then I got the bright idea to try FLY FISHING.
Man, what have I got myself into? Tippets, line management, Royal this, Adams that and the list goes on and on and on and don't forget to learn to strip the line. And you want me to tie that to the fly .. I can hardly SEE the line much less fit it through that LITTLE hook eye and then TIE it off !

But, I had the good fortune to know someone that has 40 plus years under their belt to tell me, show me, and laugh at me (in a good friend way)
Then to make sure I really had the BEST way to get started ... he suggested NOT listening to everything he said and told me to sign up for a class, with an instructor that does not know what an ol' grouch I am ....

Like you, I don't need a new religion .. mine works just fine too ...

But, before you "accepted" your religion .. I betcha ya went to Sunday School first ... to get started.

That's where I am right now, going to Sunday School ( Fly Fishing Classes )
to learn and see what I can do with this.

Don't give up yet .. I had my FIRST class yesterday and found out that I REALLY can cast a fly line and get it to go where I wanted it to go !!

Hope you stick with it ... might be more fun than you thought.

Gordon in NC
Old 09-10-2010, 10:25 AM

kglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond repute

Hey, if you're looking for somebody to change your mind, I think you've come to the wrong place. We're all hooked on this because of what it brings to our lives. Was there a learning curve, sure, but we stuck with it and now I can truly say this sport is one of life's greatest pleasures. As far as religion goes, I don't mix the two. Flyfishing is NOT religion for me, that is something else much different and personal to me. Now, I must say that much of my time is consumed by this sport from tying flies, to building rods, to getting on the water as often as I'm able.

I remember when I first started fly fishing I switched back to my spinning gear often because I caught fish with it, but I stuck it out with the flyfishing and soon I was able to consistently catch fish. Now, I'm confident I'll catch fish just about anywhere and anytime I get out on the water.

Its not just the complexities of choosing the right rod, line, leader, tippet and fly, but there are the subtle tweeks needed to lay out the right cast to the correct target consistently. But, when it all comes together, it is a thing of beauty that can't really be described. Like any pursuit, there is a price to be paid and time and money to be invested in order to become proficient. Those of us who endure in this sport have paid that price, and I think most are quite happy to have done so.

I won't even try to convince you either way, that, you'll have to do on your own, but let's just say it really is worth the price paid for admission.

You must make up your own mind, but don't judge it too harshly, too early in your experience or you will miss something very special.

Many have asked why I pursue it so passionately, and I respond with:

Click the image to open in full size.

Nuff said, now it's your call. Good luck.

Kelly.
Old 09-10-2010, 10:37 AM

yeamon is on a distinguished road

I took the Orvis School course at Dogwood Canyon, and I would endorse it as a great way to put the correct foot forward.

I just started this year, after a few years of enviously observing from the outside. I view fly fishing the same way I view bowhunting for whitetail deer (another activity I took up a few years ago). The reward is not the trophy, the freezer/cooler full of meat, the kill, or the catch (and release). The reward is the step one takes through a dimension, a barrier that upon breaking, allows one to transform from an "observer" of the natural world, into a "participant" in the natural world. The activity is all about immersion.

Yes, there are other ways to catch fish. There are other ways to hunt deer, as well. But those other ways don't provide sportsmen with such interaction with their surroundings and their prey. That reward requires challenge.
Old 09-10-2010, 10:37 AM

Rifleman1776 is on a distinguished road

Great photos and they present your case beautifully.
I'm not out of the game yet. I will attend our local FF club meetings.
The downside is this learning curve is a discouragement and not easy. I'll stick with it for a while before making a decision.
BTW, my passion for the past 40+ years has been shooting old style traditional muzzle loading rifles and reenacting the early American history that goes with them. For a newcomer, the learning curve is not unlike what I am now experiencing. I have helped many a beginner to enjoy the avocation.
And, while I may gripe about the cost of starting with FF, have you priced a nice custom built muzzle loading rifle?