The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-20-2008, 09:15 AM

ducktrooper is on a distinguished road
Default Konic vs Okuma SLV

Is there a significant performance difference between these two larger arbor reels? Konic is $120 and Okuma is $60. I've read good threads on both so I'm wondering why pay more.

This will be for a second rod that I'll buy...a 9' 6 wt that I'll use for nymphing, streamers on small to med. rivers mostly in AR. THanks.
Old 06-20-2008, 02:26 PM

tlcrep will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Konic vs Okuma SLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducktrooper View Post
Is there a significant performance difference between these two larger arbor reels? Konic is $120 and Okuma is $60. I've read good threads on both so I'm wondering why pay more.

This will be for a second rod that I'll buy...a 9' 6 wt that I'll use for nymphing, streamers on small to med. rivers mostly in AR. THanks.
Tell ya what, pay less. Either find the barstock reel thread, which is the best deal, or go here
TICA Fishmaster S Standard Arbor Fly Fishing Reels
Tica S machined aluminum (guess it is not barstock aluminum), for $48. Gets 5 stars in reviews.
Old 06-21-2008, 08:12 AM

ducktrooper is on a distinguished road

Thanks....I couldn't find the barstock thread. The TICA looks like a great reel for the money.....why aren't more people using them? I did some searches and couldn't find any reviews. Are they an offshore import?
Old 06-21-2008, 05:24 PM

tlcrep will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducktrooper View Post
Thanks....I couldn't find the barstock thread. The TICA looks like a great reel for the money.....why aren't more people using them? I did some searches and couldn't find any reviews. Are they an offshore import?
Oh OF course they are made in China, as is the barstock thread.But more importantly The TiCa only has a one year warranty and the drag is not very dependable, and its one way clutch is not machined. Plus TiCa is headquartered in a third world country (China?)

Within a couple of weeks, their will be a 3/4 and 5/6 large arbor, cnc machined reel with a drag that in the reels bigger sizes can confidently handle big game fish like Tuna and Tarpon for just $100. And its drag wont blow up like the $179 Orvis Large arbor barstock will on big game fish.
They will be made in the 3rd world but the company that sells them will be a USA company
Old 06-21-2008, 06:57 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi to all,

Here is a picture of the TICA reel. It is one of the China reels that claims that it is a machined reel. That could mean anything. The Hexagon holes in the spool are obviously put in with a punch machine. I would bet the parts are cast or pressure formed and trued up with some machining. You can see imperfections in the finish on the inside of the spool. But it is a $50 reel and you gets whats yous pays for.

Frank

TICA Reel
Click the image to open in full size.
Old 06-21-2008, 07:29 PM

Fly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to behold

Frank, as a former New Yorker, it's "youse", not "yous" ("yous" would be the French version, as "vous"). I guess spell checks in Florida don't include New York syntax

Neil