The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-29-2008, 07:16 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton
Default Re: Uni knot

Hi to all,

Here is the Homer Rhoade's loop knot that sandfly mentioned.

Frank

Click the image to open in full size.1. Tie an overhand knot in the fishing line a few inches above the end but don't snug it up. After passing the end of the line through the eye of the lure, push the end back through the opening of the overhand knot.
Click the image to open in full size.2. Tie another overhand knot above the first, making sure to tie the knot around the line. Finally, snug the overhand knots together.
Old 06-29-2008, 07:27 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute

Hi to all,

Here is the non-slip mono knot. This is a great loop knot that won't slip. Pocono you can see how you could use hemos after you tie the overhand knot. This is Lefty's favorite loop knot. It is strong and quick to tie.

I don't know why but the picture in step #4 is opposite than the others. The hook is on the right side. It kind of threw me when I saw the tag end pointing to the right.

Frank

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 06-29-2008, 08:04 PM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Frank,

Thanks. I've tried them all and the non-slip mono knot does the trick for me. The Tie-Fast knot is also a slip loop knot; just like the Uni knot. I'm not sure that this knot can be tied with hemostats, but I'll have another look at it later this week or after the 4th.
Old 07-13-2008, 07:53 PM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Frank,

Just a quick update on the non-slip mono knot. It's still working well for me; not with hemostats, but it's a simply knot to tie and this time of the season (warm weather) it's fine for me without the hemos.

As you probably know, it shares a lot in common with two other knots; the ever-handy clinch and the bowline. On the one hand, it can be viewed as a clinch knot tied behind an intial overhand knot. On the other hand, as a bowline with a knot instead of a loop.

As long as I form the overhand knot first, pull to size it as I want it, push it up against the hook eye, then take the tag end up through the knot, make the wraps around the tippet stem and tuck the tag end back down through the knot, it gives me the size loop that I'm looking for; about a 1/4" diameter.

Thanks for the advice.
Old 07-13-2008, 08:45 PM

smith950 is on a distinguished road

Frank,

Back to your first post on this thread. Why is tying a small loop a good idea?

Scott
Old 07-14-2008, 07:46 AM
Administrator

Pocono,

Glad you settled on the Non-Slip Mono knot even if you can't tie it with hemos. It solves your problem of resizing the loop after every fish. The Tie-Fast is how I tie my mono loop to the end of my fly line. You can use it anyplace you might tie a nail knot.

Scott,

This is a good question Scott. I don't have a precise answer. Joni thinks that a larger loop may create a wave in front of the knot. I think with a small loop you have a firm loop that the fly can swing on. If the loop is too large the loop collapses and you don't get as good a loop for the fly to swing on. I don't use a loop a lot so my experience is limited. It could be that after a couple of good fish any loop will collapse. I have a feeling that the knot becomes part of the fly when it is snugged up like a clinch knot. I don't know how big a loop has to be before it is not part of the fly. The main reason I recommend a small knot is Lefty Kreh thinks it should be small. That alone is good enough for me.

So here is a question for all who are reading. Does the fish interrupt the knot to be part of the fly? Or do they see it as something the fly is hanging onto? Of course no one knows what a fish thinks but any guesses?

Frank
Old 07-14-2008, 08:01 AM

axle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud of

I use either the Improved Clinch (using Hemo's) or the Polamar knot. I can tie this one in the dark and it's pretty strong.
Old 08-11-2008, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Whiton View Post
Pocono,

Glad you settled on the Non-Slip Mono knot even if you can't tie it with hemos. It solves your problem of resizing the loop after every fish. The Tie-Fast is how I tie my mono loop to the end of my fly line. You can use it anyplace you might tie a nail knot.

Scott,

This is a good question Scott. I don't have a precise answer. Joni thinks that a larger loop may create a wave in front of the knot. I think with a small loop you have a firm loop that the fly can swing on. If the loop is too large the loop collapses and you don't get as good a loop for the fly to swing on. I don't use a loop a lot so my experience is limited. It could be that after a couple of good fish any loop will collapse. I have a feeling that the knot becomes part of the fly when it is snugged up like a clinch knot. I don't know how big a loop has to be before it is not part of the fly. The main reason I recommend a small knot is Lefty Kreh thinks it should be small. That alone is good enough for me.

So here is a question for all who are reading. Does the fish interrupt the knot to be part of the fly? Or do they see it as something the fly is hanging onto? Of course no one knows what a fish thinks but any guesses?

Frank
Hi Frank,

Just a quick update on loop knots. After using the non-slip mono knot for the past month, I've modified it by incorporating the wraps with a bowline knot. The difference is that instead of tying the overhand knot before making the wraps(3), I simply form a circle loop in place of the overhand knot, bring the tag up through it, make the wraps, bring the tag back down through the loop and pull tight. So, it could be looked at as a non-slip mono knot with a loop as the first step instead of an overhand knot. Or it can be looked at as a bowline knot with three wraps instead of one. One advantage to the new knot it that it's easier to size the final loop that connects to the eye (the one that we all care about) by sliding the loop than it is to size it by sliding the overhand knot. For right now, I'm just calling it a "3X Bowline" knot.

Also, on the loop size point, my take on that is that the real benefit to the loop is that it provides better "action" with regards to the movement of the fly in the water; making it behave more like a natural in the water flow. Once the loop is large enough to relieve the tight tippet-to-fly connection, there's no need for a bigger loop. The job is done. And, I think that the wave point may very well be true with a larger loop. So, I agree; a smaller loop is better.
Old 08-11-2008, 07:57 AM

yatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud of

Frank,
I have a Tie Fast tool I use for nail knots. But, they don't have instructions for tying any other knots with it. I went to their site and they only have a pdf of the same instructions that came with the tool. Can it be used to tie a uni knot? If so how?
Old 08-12-2008, 04:44 PM
jose will become famous soon enoughjose will become famous soon enough

My mistake. I miss read something. Sorry. Oops!