The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

View Poll Results: How often do you wear a PFD when using watercraft.
Never. 3 9.38%
Occasionally. 10 31.25%
All the time, every time. 15 46.88%
Only if it's mandatory. 4 12.50%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-11-2010, 10:25 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Poll on PFD's.

I can hardly wait until that 100 degree day Larry. I'll be finding a shower somewhere.

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm certain they're wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

Old 09-12-2010, 02:17 AM

Fly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to behold

Wearing a PFD in a boat is a no-brainer, but I'd like to expand this to using one while wading in fast-moving treacherous water. I use a waist belt SOSpenders manually-CO2-inflatable in those situations. It has a "small footprint" when not needed, so what more can you ask for such life insurance? And of course a wading staff.
Old 09-12-2010, 02:26 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Like I said before fysh, the rivers here are uncompromisingly dangerous and traveling without the pfd is a suer way to end up dead if you end up in the water. I put about 1000 or more miles on the rivers each season and have became very respectful of these waters.

I checked always,

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 09-12-2010, 10:42 AM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

Thank You very much Gentlemen.

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm certain they're wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

Old 09-12-2010, 04:44 PM

von behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud of

fysh'

This was a great thread. I only got into using personal watercraft while fly fishing in the past year. Prior to that I would wade or rent a boat. I always wear a PFD.

I've often looked at people in float tubes with all that clothing and gear in very cold water and wondered what they would do if their tube or pontoon had a catastrophic failure.

Swimming in cold water can be challenging at best when you're wearing a swimsuit and you plan on doing it. Add to that a bit of panic and thick, wet clothing, and things can go bad in a hurry. Add current and wind to the mix, and survival becomes a more elusive concept.

I've opted for a traditional PFD, which fits well and isn't any bulkier than a fishing vest with a few fly boxes in the pockets.

Before you get on the water, you have to ask yourself, "Can I swim fully clothed without assistance from the middle of that lake or river in these conditions?"

I especially apply that logic when I get on the water with my children. If I'm wearing a PFD, I can be more effective in helping them if something goes wrong. I have an obligation to be there for them and help them to safety. Of course, they are always wearing PFD's as well.

Cheers,

-VB
Old 09-12-2010, 05:48 PM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute

I've boated all my life. I almost always have a PFD with me, but I don't usually have it on. Now, that begs the question: what good is it to you if you don't have it on? And the answer is: probaby not much.

I think I may reconsider though, that outcome on the South Fork doesn't sound like a situation that I want to find myself in. But, old habits die hard; even the bad ones.

Pocono
Old 09-12-2010, 07:24 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Allan,

I believe it depends very much on the water you are on and of course it is a matter of personal choice also. I never wore one on the creeks or rivers of Pennsylvania unless we were running white water in the canoes. The decision to were one here was a matter of common sense not choice. Like wild white water, when you look at these rivers they scream " I will take your life if you make a mistake", I heard that and put on my vest.

For floating on the lake in the sun or motoring around on the lakes, no I don't have a vest on. When the time to put it on comes you'll know what to do.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 09-13-2010, 07:35 AM

sxm has a spectacular aura aboutsxm has a spectacular aura about

Whether it is on one of our MA lakes or the ocean, whenever there is a boating accident, and it includes canoes, the person who didn't wear a PDF is the one DOA.

And when accidentally fall out of a boat, you might realize it was time to put a PDF on, but perhaps too late. Called boating accidents, especially when other boaters drink and drive. Like driving without a seat belt.

Besides, I have a fishing PDF for my kayak and it has great zip pockets for my fly box and tools. A medium size Orvis green floating box fits perfectly.

Stohlquist Fisherman PFD: PFDs and Life Jackets at L.L.Bean

Stohlquist® Fisherman PFD - Google Product Search
Old 09-14-2010, 08:42 PM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
Allan,

I believe it depends very much on the water you are on and of course it is a matter of personal choice also. I never wore one on the creeks or rivers of Pennsylvania unless we were running white water in the canoes. The decision to were one here was a matter of common sense not choice. Like wild white water, when you look at these rivers they scream " I will take your life if you make a mistake", I heard that and put on my vest.

For floating on the lake in the sun or motoring around on the lakes, no I don't have a vest on. When the time to put it on comes you'll know what to do.

Ard
Ard,

I missed your reply. I agree, it does depend on the water.

Most of my boating has been on the ocean, with crew and with boats that won't go out from under you and dump you in the drink! When I've floated rapids, I have had a PFD on. But, wading the PA creeks and rivers; with the exception of the upper Delaware and stretches of the Lehigh below the dam, doesn't prompt me to wear one.

Allan

Last edited by Pocono; 09-16-2010 at 07:30 PM.
Old 09-16-2010, 01:19 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

If the 'craft' is moving, it's on. A little late if you get yourself into a 'sudden' AH S!!!!!!