The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

View Poll Results: How often do you wear a PFD when using watercraft.
Never. 3 9.38%
Occasionally. 10 31.25%
All the time, every time. 15 46.88%
Only if it's mandatory. 4 12.50%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-16-2010, 05:24 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton
Default Re: Poll on PFD's.

Von Behr wrote: I've often looked at people in float tubes with all that clothing and gear in very cold water and wondered what they would do if their tube or pontoon had a catastrophic failure.

With float tubes it is smart to pick one with more than one tube or bladder. The back rest in most float tubes is a separate bladder. If a main tube failed you would still be able to use the back rest for flotation and make it to shore. Not nearly as good as a life vest but doable on small waters.

With a pontoon boat you always have at least two separate tubes. If one went flat the other would keep you afloat. You couldn't row but it offers some level of safety in slow moving waters. I personally believe any time you are in a river you should have on your PFD. Especially a river you are not familiar with or has even moderate rapids.

The effect that very cold water has on a persons ability to rescue their selves should not be underestimated. Add in a little panic and you will be in love with your PFD. Serious injury or death happens to people who are not prepared for accidents on the water.

Frank
Old 09-16-2010, 07:40 AM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredaevans View Post
If the 'craft' is moving, it's on. A little late if you get yourself into a 'sudden' AH S!!!!!!
EXACTLY!
Has anyone ever seen someone slip and fall into the water? I have, and it's amazing how quickly the distance between a person in the water and a boat
grows. When we sail, I toss one of those small floating cushions in the water, and declare man overboard. It's my wife and son's job to retrieve it, and it takes time to turn a boat around while under sail. My own MOB drills occur when my hat blows off (a lot ), etc. Drills are best when they're unexpected, so passing flotsom does the job as well. One of the toughest spots to retrieve stuff is in the more narrow and busy portions of the ICW. I insist on PFD's for swimming if the water is above your shoulders. Our current boat has 3 feet of freeboard, and climbing a ladder has been an issue more than once in less than warm water. My wife was swimming in the middle of the summer several years ago, and stayed in too long. I kept insisting that she get out, but she told me she was having a great time. Then she got cold, and tried to climb the ladder. I reached over to help her, and she was ice cold, and didn't have the strength to hold my hand tightly. She was wearing her life vest, however, and I was able to finally get her up the ladder. That was when she weighed 125lbs......
Old 09-16-2010, 05:53 PM

coot is on a distinguished road

As a duck hunter on big water I am NEVER without a PFD.

One mistake....could be my last.
Old 09-16-2010, 07:46 PM

Vans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud of

I have a couple family members who have found themselves in the water. My dad sank a boat off Tillamook bay a few years back. He was able to get into a survival suit and a near by charter pick up him and his group. He did mention how cold it was. Also a cousin of mine and a friend sank a small boat while crabbing in Tillamook bay as well. He had his vest on and was very thankful for it. He is certain he would have drowned. The water at that time of year(not that the Pacific ocean varies all that much in the PacNW) was so cold it took his breath away.

I am looking to get a pontoon and will make a point of having some kind of pfd with me in most cases.