The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/general-discussion/)
-   -   Czech Nymphing - Is It Fly Fishing? (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/general-discussion/48752-czech-nymphing-fly-fishing.html)

kglissmeyer1 09-13-2010 04:50 PM

Czech Nymphing - Is It Fly Fishing?

Came across this in my meanderings and was intrigued by his premise - you decide.

Czech nymphing is not fly fishing - fly fishing and fly casting from a pro - GŁnter Feuerstein international Master flycasting instructor

I don't have an opinion either way, but I'm sure some will have some strong feelings...

Kelly.

mcnerney 09-13-2010 05:14 PM

Re: Czech Nymphing - Is It Fly Fishing?

Kelly: I don't feel strongly either way, but then in the last paragraph he goes on and says 'In my opinion it would be a good decision to ban all nymphs, nymph systems and streamers which cannot be cast by using multiple overhead false casts on an average distance of 15 m".
I don't agree with that at all.

Is his attempt at banning Czech nymphing just a first strp to ban all nymphing?

Larry

ghostdncr 09-13-2010 05:18 PM

In my experience, there are always going to be individuals who try to game the system.

I get deep satisfaction from taking fish on tiny dry flies, but use wets and nymphs periodically and am just starting to dabble in streamers. Czech nymphing strikes me as a method of gaming the system, so I can't imagine ever trying it. At the same time, it raises the question should we ban everything sub-surface? Kinda like gun control, in that where do you draw the line?

If you really want to fill the larder with fish, you're gonna be hard pressed to beat a quarter-stick of dynamite for "bait". I don't see the majority of us trying that, either. :icon_roll

Glen Wright 09-13-2010 06:02 PM

"Hereby I want to ask all owners of fly-only-waters to overthink this development and their tackle regulation"

Since when is over-thinking anything a good thing.

I am a Supervisor in a state agency and if I do not manage over-thinkers (a.k.a. analysts) they will never get anything completed.

Matter of fact if I do not give them very specific criteria I'll end up with reports from them the size of an encyclopedia, when I only need a few pages.

IMO this guys whole article is certainly wasted and ridiculous over analysis.

Perhaps I'm just too simple comparing Czech nymphing or any other nymphing technique to fly and bubble fishing is just plain nuts.

This dude needs a Protologist to help him find is head!:yikes:

Jackster 09-13-2010 10:19 PM

This stuff originated in Europe where fly fishing is a far cry from what we have access to here in the U.S.
I really wish that sort of dredging for fish could have stayed in Europe but the Euro fly fishing contest rules pretty much dictate what can and cannot be used so chains of heavy nymph-like baits are dragged through the current. Since those international competitions are now becoming popular here in the States, a good number of American anglers are now adapting to the Euro rules.
I imagine we too may one day see indoor fly fishing competitions like they have in Europe. As for me, the competitors can have it... I'll leave that sort of stuff to those who fly fish for reasons far different than mine.

crittergetter 09-13-2010 11:08 PM

I am a fan of all kinds of fishing especially fly fishing. And I think this guy needs to get a real job and quit trying to sell stories to the first one that will publish it. Maybe he watched to much "River Runs Through It" and has a hidden fantasy of being Brad Pit!!!

His logic doesn't hold water. If his logic did then where do you stop? Streamers, Tandem Riggs??? Can I use a San Juan Worm? Can I use a hopper dropper combo or hopper Gnat combo?

I still go home 2 times a year visit my folks and fish the San Juan. If I were to use his logic, and ban any fishing except Dry's, you would barely have a chance to catch a few fish looking up. They eat sub surface bugs and the bugs are really really small.

I nymph fish and now use 2 or 3 bugs. The first is my weighted fly. Sometimes I use a #8 Tungsten Bead head Hairs ear followed by a nymph, emerger, or larva pattern. Are they illegal also? Sometimes I use a Czech Nymph to drop the second hook down and float it down an edge of a fast stream or around a rock.

:sorry: Rant over...

I agree with Fishingmonkey maybe we need to get him a snorkel so he can breath better:teef:

CritterGetter

PS... What he really needs to do is write an article to have people push against the banning of all lead everything in fishing. The NRA got their side removed in the latest bill but us fisher people don't have the Lobby they do.

Did I say Rant Over? :p

milt spawn 09-13-2010 11:19 PM

probably poked the proverbial sleeping dog with this one!! i wonder how this guy feels about saltwater 'fly fishing', is it dry's only, or is a deceiver ok? ever fished a lake with a wooly bugger? swung a leech for steelhead? caught a smallie on a clouser? sounds to me like this guy's just missing out on a lot of fun fishin'!!!! milt.

mudbug 09-14-2010 01:22 AM

I've watched some of Brian CHan's videos and read some about chronomid fishing, and what all that it seems that 80% of what fish eat is sub-surface.

Just spent a day at lee's ferry floating a san juan worm and a zebra midge under a thingamabob, sure felt like I was fly fishing. Wasn't I?

I've read lots of stuff posted by Joni and Mojo here on this site about fishing chronimids deep under a slip indicator, are people really gonna start telling them they aren't fly fishing?

madjoni 09-14-2010 06:54 AM

Czech Nymphing - Is It Fly Fishing?O yea:)

Same subject provoke debates on many forums:rolleyes: but essence on the end of it is same....it is fly fishing:)

HuronRiverDan 09-14-2010 07:37 AM

It's a shame that he was able to get that article published. People like that definitely have an agenda, and it isn't good. Fly fishing isn't just about the "enrolling" fly line...:D When fishing a flies only water it means exactly what it states; flies only, the last time I checked flies came in all sorts of types, dry, emergers, nymphs, streamers... It sounds to me like the fellow doesn't do well with nymphing and has a major case of jealousy when he finds someone who is adept at it.

Is Czech Nymphing fly fishing? Absolutely!

Dan