The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-13-2010, 04:50 PM

kglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Czech Nymphing - Is It Fly Fishing?

Came across this in my meanderings and was intrigued by his premise - you decide.

Czech nymphing is not fly fishing - fly fishing and fly casting from a pro - GŁnter Feuerstein international Master flycasting instructor

I don't have an opinion either way, but I'm sure some will have some strong feelings...

Kelly.
Old 09-13-2010, 05:14 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Czech Nymphing - Is It Fly Fishing?

Kelly: I don't feel strongly either way, but then in the last paragraph he goes on and says 'In my opinion it would be a good decision to ban all nymphs, nymph systems and streamers which cannot be cast by using multiple overhead false casts on an average distance of 15 m".
I don't agree with that at all.

Is his attempt at banning Czech nymphing just a first strp to ban all nymphing?

Larry
Old 09-13-2010, 05:18 PM

ghostdncr has a spectacular aura aboutghostdncr has a spectacular aura about

In my experience, there are always going to be individuals who try to game the system.

I get deep satisfaction from taking fish on tiny dry flies, but use wets and nymphs periodically and am just starting to dabble in streamers. Czech nymphing strikes me as a method of gaming the system, so I can't imagine ever trying it. At the same time, it raises the question should we ban everything sub-surface? Kinda like gun control, in that where do you draw the line?

If you really want to fill the larder with fish, you're gonna be hard pressed to beat a quarter-stick of dynamite for "bait". I don't see the majority of us trying that, either.
Old 09-13-2010, 06:02 PM
Glen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really nice

"Hereby I want to ask all owners of fly-only-waters to overthink this development and their tackle regulation"

Since when is over-thinking anything a good thing.

I am a Supervisor in a state agency and if I do not manage over-thinkers (a.k.a. analysts) they will never get anything completed.

Matter of fact if I do not give them very specific criteria I'll end up with reports from them the size of an encyclopedia, when I only need a few pages.

IMO this guys whole article is certainly wasted and ridiculous over analysis.

Perhaps I'm just too simple comparing Czech nymphing or any other nymphing technique to fly and bubble fishing is just plain nuts.

This dude needs a Protologist to help him find is head!

Attention New Fly Fishers and those just wanting to improve- Join a Fly Fishing Club. They have classes on every aspect of fly fishing for beginners to advanced for free or cheaper than offered elsewhere. Some offer mentor programs. You will make friends with other fly fishers. Clubs often have outings in which members pay special group rates for guides or to fish prime private access areas.
Old 09-13-2010, 10:19 PM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future

This stuff originated in Europe where fly fishing is a far cry from what we have access to here in the U.S.
I really wish that sort of dredging for fish could have stayed in Europe but the Euro fly fishing contest rules pretty much dictate what can and cannot be used so chains of heavy nymph-like baits are dragged through the current. Since those international competitions are now becoming popular here in the States, a good number of American anglers are now adapting to the Euro rules.
I imagine we too may one day see indoor fly fishing competitions like they have in Europe. As for me, the competitors can have it... I'll leave that sort of stuff to those who fly fish for reasons far different than mine.

Last edited by Jackster; 09-14-2010 at 12:07 AM.
Old 09-13-2010, 11:08 PM

crittergetter is just really nicecrittergetter is just really nicecrittergetter is just really nicecrittergetter is just really nice

I am a fan of all kinds of fishing especially fly fishing. And I think this guy needs to get a real job and quit trying to sell stories to the first one that will publish it. Maybe he watched to much "River Runs Through It" and has a hidden fantasy of being Brad Pit!!!

His logic doesn't hold water. If his logic did then where do you stop? Streamers, Tandem Riggs??? Can I use a San Juan Worm? Can I use a hopper dropper combo or hopper Gnat combo?

I still go home 2 times a year visit my folks and fish the San Juan. If I were to use his logic, and ban any fishing except Dry's, you would barely have a chance to catch a few fish looking up. They eat sub surface bugs and the bugs are really really small.

I nymph fish and now use 2 or 3 bugs. The first is my weighted fly. Sometimes I use a #8 Tungsten Bead head Hairs ear followed by a nymph, emerger, or larva pattern. Are they illegal also? Sometimes I use a Czech Nymph to drop the second hook down and float it down an edge of a fast stream or around a rock.

Rant over...

I agree with Fishingmonkey maybe we need to get him a snorkel so he can breath better

CritterGetter

PS... What he really needs to do is write an article to have people push against the banning of all lead everything in fishing. The NRA got their side removed in the latest bill but us fisher people don't have the Lobby they do.

Did I say Rant Over?
Old 09-13-2010, 11:19 PM

milt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond repute

probably poked the proverbial sleeping dog with this one!! i wonder how this guy feels about saltwater 'fly fishing', is it dry's only, or is a deceiver ok? ever fished a lake with a wooly bugger? swung a leech for steelhead? caught a smallie on a clouser? sounds to me like this guy's just missing out on a lot of fun fishin'!!!! milt.
Old 09-14-2010, 01:22 AM

mudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to behold

I've watched some of Brian CHan's videos and read some about chronomid fishing, and what all that it seems that 80% of what fish eat is sub-surface.

Just spent a day at lee's ferry floating a san juan worm and a zebra midge under a thingamabob, sure felt like I was fly fishing. Wasn't I?

I've read lots of stuff posted by Joni and Mojo here on this site about fishing chronimids deep under a slip indicator, are people really gonna start telling them they aren't fly fishing?
Old 09-14-2010, 06:54 AM

madjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud of
Send a message via Skype™ to madjoni

Czech Nymphing - Is It Fly Fishing?O yea

Same subject provoke debates on many forums but essence on the end of it is same....it is fly fishing
Old 09-14-2010, 07:37 AM

HuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to HuronRiverDan

It's a shame that he was able to get that article published. People like that definitely have an agenda, and it isn't good. Fly fishing isn't just about the "enrolling" fly line... When fishing a flies only water it means exactly what it states; flies only, the last time I checked flies came in all sorts of types, dry, emergers, nymphs, streamers... It sounds to me like the fellow doesn't do well with nymphing and has a major case of jealousy when he finds someone who is adept at it.

Is Czech Nymphing fly fishing? Absolutely!

Dan