The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-14-2010, 08:16 PM

averagejoefish is on a distinguished road
Default one stream, two reports (trout pics)

copied from - averagejoefisherman.blogspot.com/

When Thursday rolled around last week I was able to leave work early. By 4:00 my office, and the work I left in it, was a distant memory. With my gear loaded into the Silverado I was headed north to one of my favorite little creeks. For those of you who read “A Fishing Report – Average Joe Fisherman Style” you will be happy to know that I remembered all of gear this time. =)

My train of thought was that we were coming off a major holiday weekend and the streams would have been busier than FedEx at Chrismas. Between the holiday fisherman, kids playing and the aluminum hatch (canoes) all of the trout would be hiding better than witnesses in the FBI witness protection program. Yes I was certain that the fishing would be best on smaller creeks where the canoes at least could not go. In hindsight I was 50% correct.

The stream I decided to fish is one of those rare jewels that fisherman do not speak of. It is home to wild rainbows and brown trout and is extremely tiny in places. If you are lucky enough to catch a trout that pushes thirteen inches on this particular stream you should feel very fortunate. A deep bend or pool might be close to twenty four inches deep.

Once I arrived at my destination I decided to walk through the woods, get in downstream, and fish back to the bridge. At the bridge I would hop the road and keep fishing upstream till dark. After about a fifteen minute walk through the woods I couldn’t stand it anymore and had to start fishing. Finally I was standing in cold clear water that barely made it to my shins. Once I started fishing I found trout everywhere. In fact it was a common occurrence to see several trout competing for my presentation. The day had the makings to be one of “those” days… then I arrived at the bridge.

I am not exactly sure what happened upstream of the bridge over the holiday weekend, but there were no trout. None! I did not even spoke a fish, which for those of you who fish small streams know is pretty much impossible when walking in the water. After three hours of fishing and seeing not so much as a refusal I tapped out. Normally I would not give up on a piece of water but there were too many other rivers close at hand and I was frustrated. With thirty minutes left of light, I packed up and headed to a different stream. As I approached the stream there was pretty significant white fly hatch going on. I had just enough time to pick my shot. At the end of log a hefty sixteen inch brown trout took notice of my offering not once but twice. On this particular evening two attempts were not enough to bring the trout to hand. Being an Average Joe Fisherman I am going to chalk my lack of success up to river pressure from the holiday, not my fishing ability. Oh well, there is always next week.

Click the image to open in full size.

Old 09-14-2010, 10:33 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: one stream, two reports (trout pics)

Very nice trip report and photos, thanks for sharing!

Larry
Old 09-14-2010, 10:48 PM

twfitw is a jewel in the roughtwfitw is a jewel in the roughtwfitw is a jewel in the roughtwfitw is a jewel in the rough

Nice report and photos, it's always nice to avoid the crowds...
Old 09-14-2010, 11:34 PM
Banned

Sasha is a splendid one to beholdSasha is a splendid one to beholdSasha is a splendid one to beholdSasha is a splendid one to beholdSasha is a splendid one to beholdSasha is a splendid one to behold

Cool report: Good read, nice pics and no hotspotting
Old 09-14-2010, 11:45 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

That's my kind of creek Joe,

This is the time of year trout can make themselves scarce. What state are you in? I'm wondering about water temps there, that can explain hard to find fish.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 09-15-2010, 10:12 PM

Thanks guys. This little jewl is located in Michigan. The nights have been in the 40s. The streams are plenty cold. =)
Old 09-16-2010, 12:33 AM
Glen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really nice

Very nice trip report and what a beautiful creek. Thank you for sharing!

I'm hoping to go up to the Truckee River on Friday. To see if I can entice some of the little 25" inch browns. I hope I don't get my skunk on!

I've got to go spend some time in a State where the rivers & streams don't get hammered as much as here in California.

Maybe I'll take a trip up to Idaho I've got a friend I haven't seen in years who is a CA. transplant in Coeur d'Alene and other friend who used to ranch in this area with whom I started and trained Ranch Horses and worked his cows place with him. His property was purchased by CalTrans so he quit CA and and bought a much bigger piece up there. Perhaps I could give him a visit too and between them hit a few the ID rivers and steams.
Attention New Fly Fishers and those just wanting to improve- Join a Fly Fishing Club. They have classes on every aspect of fly fishing for beginners to advanced for free or cheaper than offered elsewhere. Some offer mentor programs. You will make friends with other fly fishers. Clubs often have outings in which members pay special group rates for guides or to fish prime private access areas.
Old 09-16-2010, 09:33 AM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

Nice report and picslovely creek
Old 09-16-2010, 09:52 AM

yatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud of

Man that is some pretty creek. Thanks for the report.
Old 09-16-2010, 09:05 PM

Thanks guys... trout season is coming to an end here so the push is on to get out as much as possible... the reports will be coming fast a furious now. =)