The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-23-2008, 11:47 AM

eaglesfn68 is on a distinguished road
Default flies

hello, im new to fly fishing and want to learn more about the different types of flies, when to use them, how to fish them, exc. I cant seem to find a website or anything about flies. anybody have a website or flies i would appreciate it. thanks.

jason
Old 06-23-2008, 12:00 PM

BlueDun has a spectacular aura aboutBlueDun has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: flies

There are several people on this forum who know of some great web-based resources and I am sure one of them will respond. In addition, since there are so many different types of flies, you might have more luck if you looked at flies based on the type of fish and geographic area you plan to fish. For example, your choices would be different if you were targeting brookies vs. big brown trout vs. smallmouth vs carp. So, if you wanted to target brook trout and did not know what flies to use, search for websites on fly fishing for brook trout. You will probably see information about what types of flies to use and how to use them.
Old 06-23-2008, 12:13 PM

BlueDun has a spectacular aura aboutBlueDun has a spectacular aura about

Thought of another way to find info on flies after I clicked "submit" on the last post. You could also look for resources on different categories or methods of fly fishing. For example, the books I have on streamer fishing and nymph fishing discuss appropriate flies for those methods and how to use them.

Examples:
Nymph-Fishing Rivers And Streams by Rick Hafele
Streamer Fishing for Trophy Trout by Kelly Galloup

Additionally, along with giving the instructions for tying flies, some fly tying books and websites give information on how to use the flies.

Example: Advanced Fly Tying by AK Best and John Gierach
Old 06-23-2008, 01:19 PM

MrEsox is a jewel in the roughMrEsox is a jewel in the roughMrEsox is a jewel in the rough

First thing you need to learn is types of flies. Later you can figure out when you want to use them. There are three types of flies in fly catagories. Dry, wet, and streamers. Dry and wet flies look like adult, nymph, and larva bugs. Wet flies sink while dry flies float. Streamers are more of a flashy attraction and color. Most minnow imitators can be put into this range. Most streamers look more fishy then buggy. So in short if it looks like a bug or a life stage of a bug then it is a wet or dry fly. If it looks like a bait fish or is just very flashy, its a streamer. The when to use is actually just up to each person. When one type of bug is plentyful and on the surface or above the water, usually you would want to use a dry fly. When nymphs and larva are what is being fed on heavily, a wet fly (nymph type) will be best used. At times it pays to see what is flying around or what is not flying around. The biggest thing is to keep an eye open to what is going on around you when your out.
Old 06-23-2008, 05:13 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi to all,

I agree with Esox,

One of the best ways that I know about is to study the flies listed on a major vendor wed site like Kaufmann's Streamborn . They list their flies by use and type. You can learn what a certain fly looks like such as a Nymph or Dry Fly. You can learn about Streamers, Saltwater or Steelhead flies. Give it a try and I think you can learn a lot.

Frank