The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-16-2010, 06:58 PM

ironnoggin is on a distinguished road
Exclamation British Columbia Needs a Little Help!

I don't know if you Folks are aware of the current World Fishing Network's Ultimate Fishing Town Contest in Canada. Currently the running is between Ontario (a slough-shark based fishery) and BC's Port Alberni (salmon and steelhead!). I believe we all understand which offers more in the way of FUN!

Ontario is pulling out all the stops to try and take this title. I am hoping some of you who know BC fisheries will offer a little support!

You can vote every 12 hours, the more the merrier! Here's the link:
Vote | WFN - Ultimate Fishing Town

Thanks in advance for helping ensure OnTerrible doesn't rule the day!

Cheers & Thanks!
Nog
Old 09-16-2010, 10:06 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: British Columbia Needs a Little Help!

Nog: I voted for BC's Port Alberni!

Larry
Old 09-16-2010, 10:25 PM

Thumbs up Re: British Columbia Needs a Little Help!

Many THANKS Larry!

A little more news...

Times Colonist Article from Today:

Is Port Alberni Canada's ultimate fishing town?
By DC Reid, timescolonist.com September 16, 2010 5:02 PM

Want to help make Vancouver Island home to the Ultimate Fishing Town in Canada? Port Alberni has made the cut to the final five and you can make the Island town the best in the country.

The World Fishing Network sponsors the contest at: wfn.tv/ultimate-fishing-town. The nomination period closed Aug. 16, with the top 10 already chosen. The voting period runs until 2 p.m. Sept. 28. Follow the link to the voting page and you will see that Port Alberni is currently in top place with 42,409 votes, slightly ahead of Nestor Falls, Ont., at 41,512, but well ahead of the rest of the pack.

Here is what you do: click the VOTE button near the top and it will take you to the voting page. Simply click the: ‘Click to vote’ button and your vote is tallied. Then you can send them 500 words on why Port Alberni should be the winner.

Local fishermen know Port Alberni should win. It has year-round fishing unlike any other entry anywhere outside of paradise. The annual Labour Day Derby gave away more than $48,000 in cash and prizes last week. John Robertson won $10,000 with a 40.3-pound Chinook. But there’s much more to fishing than this: the sockeye fishing has been great this year with more than 600,000 coming back to the Inlet; coho fishing is switching into high gear; and the Stamp boasts the most consistent summer and winter steelhead hatchery/wild run on Vancouver Island, second only to the Vedder in provincial numbers. There are also big lakes for big trout: Great Central and Sproat, with access to the Sarita and Nitinat rivers are an hour away.

And you don’t have to limit yourself to just one expression of support. Contest rules say you can come back again and again. Every 12 hours, in fact, to push Port Alberni over the top. The winning city earns bragging rights for the rest of their lives, $25,000 in aid of fishing development, a 30-minute feature video on WFN and a trophy for WFN’s Ultimate Fishing Town, 2010.

Local angler Matt Stabler — his saltwater sockeye rig is a thing of beauty and his strike reflex gives new meaning to the word instantaneous — had much to say in his July 6 vote: Fishing opportunities every single day of the year! Including both winter and summer run steelhead. Protected Inlet fishing for sockeye, chinook and coho salmon. Access to the open Pacific for halibut, other salmon, ling cod, rock fish etc. etc. And of course over 100 Lakes in close proximity all teeming with various hungry trout! In short — Fishing Paradise!

Other provinces are getting behind their little, ho-hum fishing holes. In Manitoba, the government has stepped up and offered to double the WFN $25,000, if their town… the name slips my tongue, should unaccountably slip by Port Alberni.

© Copyright (c) The Victoria Times Colonist

Is Port Alberni Canada's ultimate fishing town?
.................................................. ............

So... Is Port the Best? I can think of several other Communities in BC that could rival here. But should the question be: Is BC the Ultimate Fishing Province, I have NO hesitation is crying YES! And for the purposes of this Contest, Port Alberni is BC's shot at the Title.

Get behind us Folks! Every vote counts!!

Cheers,
Nog
Old 09-17-2010, 12:05 PM

Arrow Re: British Columbia Needs a Little Help!

OnTerrible certainly has some dedicated voters! They cut down our lead substantially yet again!
Of course it very much helps when you are voting with 2000+ absentee email address!

C'mon Folks! let's show them how to win this thing... Honestly that is!

Cheers,
Nog
Old 09-17-2010, 03:44 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Apparently this 'poll' is Chicago based Politics: "Vote early and vote often.."

fae
Old 09-17-2010, 04:27 PM

MacFly55 will become famous soon enoughMacFly55 will become famous soon enough

sorry.. I just noticed this post.. but did get my vote in for that BC Port place..

MacFly
Old 09-18-2010, 07:19 PM

Exclamation Re: British Columbia Needs a Little Help!

Thanks for the support!

But, they are actually catching up to us!

Could use a little Help Please!

Cheers & Thanks!
Nog
Old 09-19-2010, 11:17 AM

Ouch! Now they are actually BEATING us!

Guess cheating sometimes does pay...

Could really use a little help now Folks!

TIA!
Nog
Old 09-22-2010, 03:30 PM

They are having a few issues with the voting site. Just spoke with one of their representatives, they are scrambling and should have it back up to snuff shortly now. The problems encountered are simply due to the extreme volume of traffic the site is receiving, nothing nefarious they say. Between 400 and 500 thousand votes have been registered, and their servers are close to smoking from the sheer number of hits!

Related Interviews are scheduled to be broadcast today: 5:00pm on CHEK, 6:00pm on CBC.

Appears the WFN site is SWAMPED! Slow, but you can still get in if you have just a little patience...

I gotta run now, the weather has smartened up. And as much as I want to be in on the Final Run, I do after all have to make a living. Figures that would be Fishing!!

Keep the votes coming Folks! let all your contacts know, we really do have a chance here!

Best of Luck BC!! I VERY much Hope we do Get 'Er Done!!

Cheers,
Nog
Old 09-22-2010, 04:52 PM

News Flash: It appears either the voting site was hacked in order to favor Nestor Falls, or the WFN itself rigged the voting. My thought is the former. They have shut the site down for a day while they try to get it worked out.

IMHO should they discover the site was hacked by someone in Ontario, their submission should be given the boot as a consequence!

Don't abandon ship here Folks! Please remember to vote and vote as often as you can when the site is back up. With any Luck at all, the Honest approach will still carry the day!

PO'd beyond belief!
Matt