Buying a new rod, need some help please!

kfisher99

Reaction score
Hi, I currently just got into fly fishing and have been going alot lately, with my new 5 wt echo that I really like. I've just been catching about medium sized rainbow, cutthroat, and brown trout. Nothing much larger than about 14 inches. I am moving up to northern california(sacramento area) around the american river, and I want to get into the large freshwater fish they have up there which include: steelhead, king salmon, striped bass, and american shad. I'm of course going to need a larger rod than my 5 wt, but I don't have that much to spend. So I need some advice on a semi-low cost rod, reel, and line setup that can enable me to hunt these large steelhead this october/november. I am looking to spend around $300 for everything and was also wondering if a spey casting rod was a necessity or just a regular one handed rod. Thanks for any advice!

MoscaPescador

Reaction score
Hi kfisher,
You are asking a lot of a fly rod to do for you. If that's the case, get an 8 weight. It may be heavy on the steelhead and shad, but it will give you the backbone for King Salmon and Striped Bass. Six and seven weights are commonly used for steelhead and shad.

I will let others chime in on gear specifics. Keep in mind that there are three quality fly shops in Sacramento County that could get you outfitted.

Is Spey casting necessary? It isn't. It's great for long swings or casting with little backcasting room, but it isn't the right tool for close in nymph fishing. The Lower American will offer places where one technique or the other is more favorable.

MP

kfisher99

Reaction score
thanks for the input, I went to my local fly store and saw that they had a winston ascent for 100 dollars off(it had some abrasions and scratches but they gave me 100 dollars off because of it) lol. It is an 8 wt. I got a hell of a deal it normall sells for 230 and i got it for 130. I think this will serve me well for what im after.

MoscaPescador

Reaction score
Good job on the find. Now you just need a reel and line.

I did not talk about reels. When you start fighting larger game, you will need a reel with a quality drag system and good line capacity. There are many good reels at lower price points. If look at the reels section, you will consistently see Lamson and Allen mentioned.

As for line, get yourself a floating line to start. It will cover most Nor Cal steelhead fishing. For striper fishing, you will want to have a spare spool for your dedicated striper line.

Getting new gear is fun. You may want to get that reel and line soon. The "halfpounder" run is in the Lower American now, plus I have heard reports of some early adults being hooked.

MP

kfisher99

Reaction score
Thanks for the help, I did get a nice large sage reel with a good drag system, but the line is quite a dillema for me. I didnt want to dish out the extra cash for a spare spool for two lines, so I just put a fast sinking sink tip line because the guy told me most of those types of fish will be near the bottom. But then others told me I will catch most on top of the water, so I'm not quite sure what I am going to use for line still.

MoscaPescador

Reaction score
Most steelhead you will catch are on the bottom. The difference is in the take. There are times when dead drifting nymph patterns using a floating line is most effective. There are times in which swinging with a sink tip is most effective. The Lower American offers a lot of different fishing scenarios. Being able to adapt to them is key.

MP

Sage & Abel

Reaction score
Thanks for the help, I did get a nice large sage reel with a good drag system, but the line is quite a dillema for me. I didnt want to dish out the extra cash for a spare spool for two lines, so I just put a fast sinking sink tip line because the guy told me most of those types of fish will be near the bottom. But then others told me I will catch most on top of the water, so I'm not quite sure what I am going to use for line still.
You could always get a WF Floating Line with interchangable sink tips - which I use when I'm swinging.

Chicago Fly Fishing Outfitters Online Store - - Leaders, Tippets, Wire & Related - Rio Freshwater VersiLeaders