The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-24-2008, 01:03 PM

Taylor Davis is on a distinguished road
Default new to california

im a marine at camp pendleton ca. and have fly fished my whole loife. i was wondering if any one knows of anywere i can flip a fly. or if i should just start to go saltwater. please let me know if ya'll have any ifo.
Old 06-24-2008, 07:22 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton
Default Re: new to California

Hi Taylor,

You don't have to post the same post to more than one forum. Your post will be seen as a new post by all viewers.

If you are looking for trout your best bet is the Kern River drainage East of Bakersfield. Some big fish below Lake Isabella but hard to catch. Above Lake Isabella you have a bunch of options. Even some Golden Trout if you are a hiker.

Close to Pendleton your best bet may be saltwater. I know Pendleton uses one of the beaches for landing exercises but I don't know if it is a private beach just for Marines. Surf fishing can be productive at times.

Frank
Old 06-24-2008, 07:29 PM
dooolan is on a distinguished road
Default Re: new to california

I live in San Diego and fly fishing for trout does not happen down here. However, fly fishing for carp and bass can be had at many of the local reservoirs. Saltwater fishing in the surf, bays, or off the coast is very popular.
Take a gander at the local fishing forum and ask the same question and you will get tons of info:
San Diego Fish Online - Home

I was thinking of starting saltwater fly fishing but I have to save up for some new equipment and line... maybe next year I will do it.

Enjoy the weather!!

doolan
Old 06-25-2008, 06:15 AM
dooolan is on a distinguished road

ALso, I almost forgot. I have had buddies who fished Oneil Lake on Pendelton before for bass with success. You need a boat for the most part....
Old 06-25-2008, 08:51 AM

Trucha is on a distinguished road

I used to fish right on base at the beach nest to Camp Del Mar. You can get surf perch, halibut and an occasional sand bass. Other beaches are good there, too. San Onofre up north. La Jolla State Park (clothing optional there, so you can get an eyefull), Mission bay down south. The mountains a little further up north have some streams that contain trout; Bear Creek, East Fork, Piru Creek. Also, you have some warm water fishing around the area. Check out His and Hers Fly Shop in Costa Mesa for more information. The Fly Fishing Club of Orange County has many trips planned and are a good club to look into.

Semper Fi.
Old 06-26-2008, 09:46 PM

Default thank you all

im new to this forum stuff that is why i sent two out. but thank you all for the good info on the fishing. you have no idea how much it helped.

as for saltwater can anyone tell me a good rod set up? right now i have a 9' gloomis graphite rod and a bauer reel. its been a while since ive gone. and i know that my rod wont last in the ocean. any suggestions if you all have any?

but as for the all the info it really was good stuff. thanks again and good fishin to yall.
Old 06-27-2008, 12:43 AM

racine is a jewel in the roughracine is a jewel in the roughracine is a jewel in the roughracine is a jewel in the rough

Taylor,
Thank you for serving.
You might consider fishing for bass. I'm a long time trout fisher but had to try bass when I moved to the deep south. They are not as pretty but they sure put up a good fight and like to dance for you when hooked. Best part is that you can use trout rigs for them but just use larger tippets to cast those bigger bugs, nymphs, beadhead buggers, hoppers, and smaller frog patterns. I will use a 4-8 wt for bass or the smaller bream. I have recently tried the salt but it was a bigger investment than I wanted. Due to an older rotator injury I had to buy a lighter & pricier setup rather than the TFO I tried. Let us know if you go after those goldens. Good luck and be safe.
Racine
S.F.
Old 06-27-2008, 03:02 PM

dear Racine thank you so much for your info on the bass. it gives me some hope out here in california for some good fishing. thanks again and god bless.
Old 06-28-2008, 08:51 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi Taylor,

You say you have a Loomis rod but you don't tell us what model and weight it is. You can use a regular fly rod in salt water but you have to be extra careful about rinsing your rod and reel in fresh water after each trip. Make sure you rinse the guides. The same goes for the fly line.

Your Bauer reel will hold up in the salt. Which Bauer is it?

Frank
Old 06-28-2008, 03:24 PM

its a Bauer macKenzie superlite reel and for the rod i its a GLX 6 pound line weight. i also have a Abel super series my dad got it for me for graduation and just havn't used it yet. i still have to put line on it. That is my arsenal i use to fish with. but im going home next week for the 4th and am thinking about bringing my float tube back.