The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-25-2008, 06:10 PM

fly baller is on a distinguished road
Default polarized sunglasses

im lookin to make my first purchase of a good pair of polarized sun glasses... i wear regular glasses so i bought these walmaart polarized sunglasses that fit over my normal glasses, but im going over to contacts, and want a good pair.

ill be fishing freshwater mostly rivers and streams... so amber is the best color ive heard?

i was also lookin at a pair of costas, just lookin for some feedback... anything else out there that performs noticably betteR?
Old 06-25-2008, 06:54 PM

Davo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud of
Send a message via MSN to Davo Send a message via Skype™ to Davo
Default Re: polarized sunglasses

fly baller

I've never tried the Costas. I've had three pair of good polarized glasses over the last 20 yrs. Revos H2O, Action Optics, and now a new pair of Oakley Half Jackets with the fishing specific lenz. I liked all but the Revos. My new Oakleys have performed well on the flats of Key Largo and the rivers of Wyoming. My old Action Optics did well on the river but did not perform well on the flats. I should mention my Action Optics are 12 yrs old so the lenz treatments are probably out of date by todays standards. Overall you should get the glasses you think look good and have a good rep for performance.

Upstream Anglers and Outdoor Adventures
Old 06-25-2008, 07:12 PM

lefty76 is on a distinguished road

Costa Fathom 580...best glass for the money..check out ebay!!!
Old 06-25-2008, 08:36 PM

Fly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to behold

I would suggest, first & foremost, that you check the fit before you buy them. If mail-order, make sure you have return-for-full-credit-no-questions-asked privileges. Eyeglasses are as hard to fit as any clothing item I can think of, and it can be maddening to have a bad fit. After all, the last thing a sunglasses user wants is to be constantly distracted by fit problems when the first order of business is fly-fishing, driving, etc.
Old 06-26-2008, 07:46 AM

BKE is on a distinguished road

Costa Del Mar Fathoms here as well, comfortable and excellant warrenty.
When they say life time they mean it! I've had 2 pair for about 8 years now and have used the warrenty 3 times (replaced scratched lenses which was my fault for $15), and have replaced worn out temple limbs twice now. Yes, there is a 9.95 fee for all repairs but that beats forking out $$$ for another pair and in most cases you'll pay more than that as S&H when you order from anyone else. Good luck!

Just wanted to add that I wear the same pair to work EVERY day, all day long.
Old 06-26-2008, 02:39 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi fly baller,

All of the major brands are making some terrific glasses these days. I don't think you will go wrong with any of the main vendors. They are all getting their Lenses from the same sources.

I suggest that you look at Oakley's. They are a sponsor of the forum and it is always best to buy from a sponsor if possible.

The comment about fit is very important. I spent four hundred dollars on a pair, not Oakley's, and I don't like them. I don't like how they fit and I don't like the lens color. I have vision problems and glasses are critical to me.

Frank
Old 06-26-2008, 02:43 PM

fly baller is on a distinguished road

cool thanks all for the comments... are the 580 glass lenses worth the extra 50$ or so over the 400 lenses? is their a noticable difference?
Old 06-26-2008, 02:55 PM

BKE is on a distinguished road

Fly baller, Lefty will have to answer that one, my Fathoms have the CR 39 lenses. Maybe a bit lighter but I really can't attest to that either.
Old 06-26-2008, 04:14 PM

marcelnl is on a distinguished road

I use some titanium framed Serengeti's , yet haven't used them at FF so can not vouch for their practicality there....but IMHO they are great....

I am also looking at Oakleys for some wrap around polarized sunglasses for FF, but would like them to be drivewear ....bit I have not heard any feedback on the usefullness for those at FF, anyone?
Would Forumusers by any chance get a discount on the sometimesabhorrent prices for Oakley?
Old 06-26-2008, 04:27 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi fly baller,

The best lens material is polycarbonate. It is lighter, it can be thinner and has the best impact resistance. Impact resistance is very import if you are throwing split shot or weighted flies. You will like it a lot better than CR-39 especially if you have a prescription.

Frank