The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-26-2008, 12:44 PM

thrashwater is on a distinguished road
Default Redington package deal

This is my first post here, although I've been lurking for a while, trying to soak up some of the considerable knowledge on these forums. We recently retired here (north Arkansas) from south Florida, and being located near the White River, Bull Shoals Lake, and the Buffalo River, it seems appropriate to get back into fly fishing again, after a long absence. I have a Sage 9' 9wt rod with SA System Two reel left over from my life in Florida... too heavy for around here.

I was at Bass Pro yesterday, and found a Redington outfit that the flyfishing department sales person was in the process of marking down. It consists of a 9' 6wt RS3 rod, Redington CD 5/6 reel, WF6 line with backing, reel case, and a nice rod/reel case. The new price was $189, marked down from $329. I'd heard of Redington rods and that they have a decent reputation and good warranty, and after a lengthy conversation with the sales guy, I took the plunge.

I came home thrilled with my deal, only to read on these forums a couple of pretty negative comments about the CD reel series, and discovered on the Redington site that the RS3 is last year's model (that in itself doesn't bother me... I'm an older model myself!).

Feeling somewhat deflated, I'm wondering if I got such a good deal after all.

Thoughts and comments would be appreciated.

Thanks, Greg
Old 06-26-2008, 02:05 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton
Default Re: Redington package deal

Hi thrashwater,

You are close to some very good trout fishing. Don't forget the Norfork. Some huge Browns there at the right time of the year. You have to be careful about fast rising water when they are generating.

If you were a beginner the reel would be fine. The White and Norfork can have really big fish. I am not sure your reel is up to that type of fishing but I don't know anything about that particular reel. I would give it a try and see how it works out. Being a saltwater fisher you probably play your fish from the reel so the drag is more important.

Keep us posted on how your outfit works for you.

Frank
Old 06-30-2008, 09:26 AM

ducktrooper is on a distinguished road

Hey Thrashwater.....I purchased the same combo last week at Bass Pro in Memphis, only I paid $229. I've researched thoroughly and only read really good things about the rod and reel. Many think the CD reel is quite comparable to the Orvis mid arbor Battenkill. I'm hoping to try my combo out on next trip to AR...will use mostly for streamer fishing.
Old 07-01-2008, 03:15 AM

tlcrep will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrashwater View Post
This is my first post here, although I've been lurking for a while, trying to soak up some of the considerable knowledge on these forums. We recently retired here (north Arkansas) from south Florida, and being located near the White River, Bull Shoals Lake, and the Buffalo River, it seems appropriate to get back into fly fishing again, after a long absence. I have a Sage 9' 9wt rod with SA System Two reel left over from my life in Florida... too heavy for around here.

I was at Bass Pro yesterday, and found a Redington outfit that the flyfishing department sales person was in the process of marking down. It consists of a 9' 6wt RS3 rod, Redington CD 5/6 reel, WF6 line with backing, reel case, and a nice rod/reel case. The new price was $189, marked down from $329. I'd heard of Redington rods and that they have a decent reputation and good warranty, and after a lengthy conversation with the sales guy, I took the plunge.

I came home thrilled with my deal, only to read on these forums a couple of pretty negative comments about the CD reel series, and discovered on the Redington site that the RS3 is last year's model (that in itself doesn't bother me... I'm an older model myself!).

Feeling somewhat deflated, I'm wondering if I got such a good deal after all.

Thoughts and comments would be appreciated.

Thanks, Greg
$189 for all of that?? Did you put on a robbers mask?? You know Rio's Simon Gawesworth (owned by Sage) uses a rs3 spey rod? If you get a 5 pound trout on the reel, I seriously doubt the drag will explode and you will lose the fish. Only drawback: Did you cast the rod before you bought? There are so many variances, so many actions of rods, you absolutely have to try out the rod before you buy it. I dont know anything about the rs3, but you may find out your stroke and what you like is a slow as molasses fiberglass rod, and the rs3 is a moderate to fast rod.