The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-27-2008, 03:41 PM

eaglesfn68 is on a distinguished road
Default Rod Length

I have buying a TFO Pro pretty soon as my first fly rod and was wondering about fly rod length. I know that 9' is the norm but with the streams i fish would a 8' 6'' be better. I fish in Pennsylvania, streams are Spring Creek, Bald Eagle, Black Moshannon. But with 6 mile run up there that is very tight and woody i was thinking a little smaller rod would be good.
Old 06-28-2008, 01:36 AM

Nooksack Mac is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Rod Length

Nine foot rods are indeed something of a standard, because they cast and mend long distances, but in graphite are still light enough for all-day use. However, many smaller streams and fly presentation situations are better covered with shorter rods. I prefer 8 1/2' rods for dry fly work even in the open, because they save energy over the course of a day. When the trees and bushes gather close, rods as short as six feet are practical. My current favorite small-stream rod is 7 1/2'
Old 06-28-2008, 06:56 PM

MrEsox is a jewel in the roughMrEsox is a jewel in the roughMrEsox is a jewel in the rough

Yup, 9ft is the norm...though it seams that when you get to the 9wts or bigger and in a saltwater rod you end up with a longer rod. As well as going to smaller wts like 1 or 2, they are much shorter. All the 1 2 and 3wts I've seen have been in that 7ft range.
Old 06-28-2008, 08:54 PM

Davo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud of
Send a message via MSN to Davo Send a message via Skype™ to Davo

When I lived outside Philly i use an 8' 3 wt and a 7' 6" 7 wt. The shorter rods were great for working your way through the brush on the small creeks. Unless you are going to be on big open water some of the time I would recommend choosing a shorter rod.

Now that I live out west I use my 9' rods all the time. Bigger fish and bigger water call for longer rods. Every now and then I find a small creek where I can bring out the short rods. But most of my time is spent with my long ones.

Upstream Anglers and Outdoor Adventures
Old 06-29-2008, 03:34 PM

Joe D is on a distinguished road

Fishing every stream with the same rod is like trying trying to play every hole on a golf course with the same club.

A nine footer will be too long for some applications and a seven footer will be too short for others. Being rod length has little, if anything to do with casting distance and everything to do with mending and line control I would select a rod that is best for the waters you fish regularly and not the ones you might fish. An 8 1/2' would probably fit your streams and give you something still usable on smaller water.

If you can go for two rods, go with a 7 1/2' and an 8 1/2' or 9'.
Old 07-01-2008, 02:02 PM

imxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of light

Sounds like you would be more comfortable with an 8.5" rod, go for it.
It will do anything a 9' will & probably be more practical for the Eastern
waters you fish. If you get on a large river it will right at home. I'm with N'Mac prefer 8.5' for dries on any river.
Old 07-01-2008, 06:09 PM

hardhat is on a distinguished road

I agree with Joe D in that it really takes more than one rod to meet all the obstacles a person could run into in various fishing situations. I usually fish in different states and encounter many different situations. I will take with me several rods which I feel will work in the areas I will be visiting. The type of fishing I will be doing will also determine the rod(s) choice.
Also, longer rods can be a benefit if you are doing more short cast and or reaching. When in small stream situations with little casting room, and I am going to cast, I may use a shorter rod or change my casting stroke. If you are going to try one rod, buy the rod you can handle the best. I think most people would agree that the purchase of one rod is usually the beginning of filling your golf opps I mean rod bag.