The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-29-2008, 08:47 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sinking or sink tip line for a 3wt??

plland, like you already said. No casting difference, just the II gets in the zone.
Old 06-30-2008, 06:50 PM

fshfanatic will become famous soon enough

When I am not on the bottom or fishing dries I am using an Intermediate sink line. It is my "go to" line.

Orvis and Courtland both make a clear intermediate sink. I have used them both and really liked each. The Orvis intermediate was a slicker line and for me casted much better.

I use a much shorter leader when fishing with the clear lines as I find I get better control of the fly. I actually have a clear poly leader which attaches via loop to loop and is like 3' long, then 1.5 - 2' of tippet.

Give them a shot. I think you will like them as much as I do.
Old 06-30-2008, 10:27 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

Good point fshfanatic on it being clear, why use a longer leader.
Cabelas use to sell (don't know if they still do) 5' sink tips that were also clear and very limber, not like allot of the other sink tips. I used them for many years.
Old 06-30-2008, 11:36 PM

fshfanatic will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joni View Post
Good point fshfanatic on it being clear, why use a longer leader.
I have found since I shortened my leaders with both my intermediate line and my full sink lines, my catch rate increased. I feel this is because alot of fish will mouth the fly momentarily and then spit it out. With the shorter leaders you feel this better. Also with the shorter leaders and a non-weighted fly, I have a better sense as to the actual depth of the bug.

The only time I will use longer leaders is when tossing small dries or c-mid fishing with an indicator. However, when using large dries, such as hoppers or Chernobyl ants, I also tend to use a shorter leader as the truly aggressive fish that hammer these huge bugs don't tend to be "leader/line" shy.
Old 07-05-2008, 09:27 PM

smith950 is on a distinguished road

plland, I recently started using Rio AquaLux Intermediate on a Winston Boron IIt, medium action, 7’6” 3wt. It worked well on crappies and sunfish. It couldn’t cast it as far, but didn’t need to. I have both Rio Intermediate and Deep 6 on my 7 wt. Good luck.