The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-21-2010, 03:23 PM

Jockayethenoo is on a distinguished road
Default NY visit - fishing tackle shops etc etc

Hi people

I'm going to be visiting NY in a few weeks, staying in Manhattan in the East Village area. It's my first time in NY, well apart from passing through Newark Airport several times over the years!
Anyway I will be doing the tourist thing with SWMBO, but I'm allowed, if it fits in with our (her) itinerary, to do a bit of sniffing about some fishing tackle shops etc. If nothing else I will probably visit the Orvis shops but I was looking for something a bit more interesting!!! Anyone recommend any place worth a visit? I'm mainly interested in fly fishing...

Thanks very much
Jim
Old 09-21-2010, 04:42 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: NY visit - fishing tackle shops etc etc

Hi & welcome to our forum,

I have never been in one in Manhattan but we have Long Island people who will no doubt help you out. If you want "different" you need to fit a rental car, map, and a drive upstate to Rosco NY. in the Catskills into her itinerary. Very beautiful this time of year and there are some very old and interesting shops there. The Catskill Fly Fishing Museum is just outside of town too. Now that's different.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 09-21-2010, 05:25 PM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute

hey Jim,

welcome to the forum.

Yes there’s the Orvis store on the corner of 44th Street and 5th Avenue

But you should also check out the Urban Angler (a pretty cool fly shop )
Urban Angler Fly Shop | Manhattan, New York City | Arlington Virginia | Washington DC | homepage
(800) 255-5488 or (212) 689-6400
it’s on 206 Fifth Avenue (on the 3rd floor)
(between West 25th and 26th streets

If you’re coming from the East Village the nearest subway stops would be 23 Street Stop on the N or R line or 28 Street on the #6 for the Urban Angler

You can book local fly fishing guides through Urban Angler if there's a chance you might be able to sneak away--- the salt water scene should still be red hot for striped bass, bluefish, and false albacore if you're coming in a few weeks. Look for guides like Joe Shastay who guide in New York harbor, or guys that guide in Jamaica Bay, which is fairly close to NYC. Other guides listed that operate out of Montauk etc on the eastern end of LI (120 miles away) so that would be more of a weekend thing if you have the time.

Good luck!
Old 09-21-2010, 05:54 PM

Jockayethenoo is on a distinguished road

thanks very much for taking the time to reply guys, and thanks for the welcome...
Unfortunately time is very tight so getting away from Manhattan is not going to happen. I wish you hadn't told me about The Catskill Fly Fishing Museum that will be at the back of my mind the whole trip now lol, but I will definitely pay Urban Angler a visit, thanks for that...

Those trips around NY sounds great fun, if only I wasn't saving for New Zealand and working out how I'm going to get permission to do that!!!

A big thank you from Scotland...
Jim
Old 09-21-2010, 06:12 PM

jager is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jockayethenoo View Post
Those trips around NY sounds great fun, if only I wasn't saving for New Zealand and working out how I'm going to get permission to do that!!!
Kitchen Points

Just substitute 'fishing' any place it says 'motorcycling.'

New Zealand - Now THAT is a trip! Good luck with that one, Jim. And welcome aboard here.

blog: http://jeffreyhughes.net/wordpress/
Old 09-21-2010, 06:18 PM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute

Have a great visit to NYC Jim.

(BTW, you wouldn't necessarily have to leave manhattan-- some of the guys fish in the NYC harbor in the east river, and/or right around the Statue of Liberty and could probably pick you up in Manhattan)
Old 09-22-2010, 08:34 AM

randyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to all

I fly fish the Harlem Meer in Central Park. I think the Meer is worth checking out. You can take the 5 or 6 subway train, get off and 110th street and then walk west.

Right now, however, the DEC police are checking for fishing licenses.

Also, I would check out the park alongside the Hudson River. I also fish from the pier at West 69th Street.

Randy
Old 12-30-2011, 07:08 AM

fire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to behold

Found this old thread referencing the Urban Angler Shop in NYC. I've got to go to the city this afternoon, through Sunday afternoon (for work), but I will have some downtime.

East Village wasn't in my list of neighborhoods to be in this week, but is a trip to Urban Angler - New York worth going out of my way to do? I still have a short list of tying materials that my local shop wasn't able to completely fill, last night....

Has anyone been there lately?

"A leader with great passion and few skills always outperforms a leader with great skills and little passion." Chief Rick Lasky
Old 12-31-2011, 09:49 AM

randyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to all

It's not in the East Village. It's on 5th Avenue and about 25th street.

Yes, it's worth visiting, though I doubt it's not too much different from other fly shops, except that it carries mostly top-of-the-line products, and never has sales.

Perhaps you'll be near Orvis, 5th Avenue and 44th Street.

Randy
Old 12-31-2011, 04:02 PM

fire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to behold

Randy,

Thanks for the info on the shop. I'll be sure to get there later in the month. Visited the mid-town Orvis shop a couple of weeks ago when I was here. Nothing spectacular, as I live about an hour away from Orvis - Manchester, and I was there twice in November.

At work now, and they are closed on Sunday's, so tomorrow is out.... That's OK though, as I'll be back down here for 3 or 4 days of work later in January.

Actually wound-up in East Village (because the wife wanted to shop on Orchard St. for a new leather jacket!), but I never made it a little north to the 25th Street area. Sorry about the poor location reference... Unfortunately, I don't know the City as well as I'd like to, and I tend to think of everything north of Canal, south of 34th, and east of Braodway as "East Village".

"A leader with great passion and few skills always outperforms a leader with great skills and little passion." Chief Rick Lasky