The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-03-2008, 03:50 AM

Jeromy is on a distinguished road
Default Hello! Fly fishing newbie

Hello!

Awesome forum! Tons of great info here! I will be browsing and asking many questions, hope you all don't get sick of awnsering them

My buddy has been pestering me to go with him to Montana fly fishing with him for a few years now, So this year I finally decided I had better join him. So end of july we are heading to the Madison for a 4 day fishing trip. I had a el cheapo fly rod from high school that I used to play with now and again (never actually caught a fish with it). Buddy pretty much said needed a new one. Went and threw a few at sportsman's warehouse and cabelas, Ended up with a Sage launch 9' 4 piece 6wt rod combo that came with a cabelas rls reel and rio grand wf line. So now I just need everything else!

look out newbie on the loose!!!
Old 07-03-2008, 09:23 AM

wtex50 will become famous soon enoughwtex50 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Hello! Fly fishing newbie

Good luck on your trip....I'm sure you will get hooked on Flyfishing and Montana is a great place to fish. I think you got a great outfit...I have the Launch 6 wt and love it. In Montana a 5 wt or 6 wt is perfect...I got my 6 wt to throw streamers, wooly buggers, etc..You can use a lot of size 4, 6 or steramers and flies. I also have the RIO Grand line and use it on my St Croix Ultra 5 wt......these lines are a 1/2 weight heavier than the usual wt designation - in your case the line would be a 6 1/2 wt line which is supposed to load fast rods easier - I like that line a lot. While your Launch is not a FAST action rod - more of a Medium Fast - it should load just fine and cerainly will be easier for you to get proficient with. You got you a nice rig that will last you a long time....Good luck and tight lines.
Old 07-05-2008, 09:19 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi Jeromy,

Welcome to the forum. It appears you are off to a good start. Having a friend who fly fishes will be a big help. Looking forward to a report about your trip. You will probably have a few questions when you get back.

Frank
Old 07-05-2008, 11:12 PM

Jeromy is on a distinguished road

thanks for the warm welcome guys!

Were heading out tomorrow morning to the provo river to do some practice, Should be fun!