The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-21-2010, 06:59 PM

averagejoefish is on a distinguished road
Default I have come to realize that I do not like Meteorologists

copied this report from averagejoefisherman.blogspot.com/

Before I get into the most recent Average Joe Fishing report, I would like to say something about Meteorologists. Several times this season I have made fishing plans based on weather conditions. I have taken time off to chase larger trout while it was raining and postponed trips due to sunny, hot, humid weather. These decisions do not come easily for me since the days I can spend on the water, between working and family time, are limited. Therefore I rely on people who have gone to school for several years to study weather patterns and use the latest technology to predict, within a certain degree of accuracy, what the next dayís weather will be. These people have college degrees from our finest universities and have spent thousands of dollars on higher education. Why is it then they cannot seem to do their job with any resemblance of reliability? I cannot recall a single day this whole entire trout fishing season, and it closes in less than two weeks, when I made a decision to fish or not fish based upon a weather forecast where the Meteorologists have gotten it right. Being an Average Joe Fisherman, I am already at a disadvantage when it comes to out smarting trout or most species of fish for that matter, and need all the help I can to make sure the odds are in my favor. I am beginning to think that there is some big conspiracy between PETA and Meteorologists whose main concern is to make sure that I catch the fewest fish possible in an effort to make me quit fishing altogether. Well guess what? Itís not going to happen! I am going to fish until my body cannot fish anymore! Damn you Meteorologists! And donít even get me started about the term Meteorologist which, when you break it down, means the study of meteors and has nothing to do with weather forecasting! Ugh! Ok, I feel better now, on to the report. =)

After fishing on Wednesday, I thought the chances of me fishing again before the week was out were slim to none. The stars were aligning for me however. My wife, out of the blue, said ďWhy donít you go fishing Saturday since Morgan (my daughter) and I will be busy.Ē Come again? I have permission to go fishing and didnít even have to ask for it! Well you donít have to ask me twice! A quick check of the weather channel told me that there was a high percentage for rain Saturday. Excellent! This is the time of year when I really like to try to catch big brown trout. The trout are all decked out in the spawning colors and are very territorial. Add rain to the mix and it becomes the perfect formula to catch something huge. To put it mildly, I was stoked!

I awoke Saturday to the sound of rain just starting to hit the roof of the house. I was showered, dressed, had my gear packed, and was on the road within the hour. The sky was dark with what appeared to be an all day rain, just like the Meteorologist said. It was going be a banner day. I could feel it!

When I arrived at my stream of choice, guess what the weather was like? Sunny! Not just sunny, but sunny with very few clouds! You have got to be freaking kidding me! Several Meteorologists told me that it would be raining all day. Well guess what? It didnít rain all day! Had I known that it was going to be sunny I still would have chosen to go fishing but I would not have gotten my hopes up to catch a trophy brown trout.

Being the person that I am, I quickly got over my disappointment in order to enjoy the day. But then again, based upon the turn this post has taken, maybe I hadnít got over it as quickly as I thought. It was a gorgeous day however and I was going to enjoy it.

The fishing itself was pretty slow. I did catch several brown trout and many more brook trout. The biggest fish of the day was a beautiful fourteen inch brown trout. He came out once to look at my presentation but missed his opportunity to eat. I waited a few moments and tried again. The second time was the charm as he annihilated my offering. The water was so clear I was able to see the white of the big fishís mouth when he struck.

The highlight of the day was having enough time to be able to fish past where I normally would end my day. Fishing new water is always fun for me albeit a little less productive since I obviously do not know the water intimately. My day ended when I came to one of the biggest beaver dams I have seen in many years and was unable to continue upstream due to water depth. I find beaver dams to be somewhat of an enigma as you never really know what you will catch on the other side. I stood atop of the dam and made several cast into the deep dark water. Several more brook trout that were brilliantly colored, a couple of smaller brown trout and two river chubs were brought to hand. With great effort I made the last cast of the day as far upstream as possible. As my offering returned to me I saw a huge fish swirl underneath it, easily two feet in length. As I sit here writing this post I am still not sure if it was an enormous brown trout or a big pike that I saw. It could have been either since, as I stated earlier, you never really know what you will catch on the other side of a beaver dam.

What is the strangest thing you have caught while fishing up stream of a beaver dam?

Click the image to open in full size.

Old 09-22-2010, 06:37 AM

joshgamble will become famous soon enoughjoshgamble will become famous soon enough
Default Re: I have come to realize that I do not like Meteorologists

That's why I don't even bother checking the weather. I just go prepared for anything. The only things that will stop me is lightning, hail, or severe rain. Its the only career where failure is accepted.
Old 09-22-2010, 09:17 AM

Bigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to Bigfly

I agree with josh, on point #1. I fish, the weather can do what it wants.
On point #2. I don't think failure is accepted, it's rationalized. You can't win every time, right?
If I did, I doubt this sport would hold my interest anyway.
As far as beaver dams go, I lost a two footer+ when he went over the dam this week. Finny bugger.
Joe, I recommend "becoming one" with the satellite radar for your area, (NOAA, water vapor). After a while, you can skip the middle man.
There was a time before TV, when we predicted our own weather, and staked our lives on it.
Hell, come to think of it, I still do that.

(Blue skies, lightning, pelting hail, RUN AWAY!)

Jim

Bigfly

Last edited by Bigfly; 09-22-2010 at 11:17 AM.
Old 09-22-2010, 11:49 AM

joshgamble will become famous soon enoughjoshgamble will become famous soon enough

The failure I was refering to was of the weather person. They get to get it wrong and still get payed.
Old 09-22-2010, 01:42 PM

Bigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant future

Josh, Aaaaaa.
Like Rosanne Rodanaanna said, "never mind".
They say around here, only fools and tourists predict the weather.
I'd hate to be a weatherman. Folks will not like you no matter what ya say.
Unless you're Willard. Maybe thats why he mentions centarian birthdays.
Made somebody happy.

Jim

Bigfly
Old 09-22-2010, 09:57 PM

averagejoefish is on a distinguished road

Bigfly, cool pic. I too will fish in almost any condition, but it would be nice once in a while to be able to prepare in advance. =)
Old 09-22-2010, 10:35 PM

Thats why my wife yells at me when we go to Costco.There is never space in the trunk for the shopping, with all my fishing backup clothes and gear.
Old 09-23-2010, 12:40 AM

madjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud of
Send a message via Skype™ to madjoni

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshgamble View Post
The failure I was refering to was of the weather person. They get to get it wrong and still get payed.
What a coincidence
Same here
Their prognozes is very 'precize' like:it will be sunny tomorow if rain doesnt poor
So I become my own meteorogist and know some stuff for sure,if wind blows from north then is no rain here
Old 09-23-2010, 11:03 AM

Thanks Joe, liked yours as well. Took that shot cringing in my camper, with a little point and shoot. I had been on the water in a boat with a client. We had called it, a bit early just in case. Glad we did!
I gave up on weathermen long ago. They were wrong often enough, that epics seemed to be the norm.
In the spring we get intense isolated showers. So when I'm guiding, I carry little emergency rain coat for my clients. Takes up almost no room in my pack, but has saved the day a few times.
Who wants to leave just because it's raining?
I also carry a change of clothes, in case someone swims.
In fact, I carry enough stuff to be set for a couple of days. Food, sleeping bag etc.
Ya never know what life will bring, and fishing could be too good to leave!

Jim

Bigfly

Last edited by Bigfly; 09-23-2010 at 11:21 AM.
Old 09-23-2010, 02:37 PM

milt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond repute

There is no such thing as bad weather... only bad clothing-Norwegian proverb.