The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-22-2010, 10:46 PM

Vans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud of
Default Re: rookie needs some help

Quote:
Originally Posted by raindogt View Post

When you say a wet noodle-- what does that mean? You don't like the flex of the rod? Does it have a 'dead spot' in the cast?
I think i can answer this. I had a similar feeling on a Martin starter kit rod. With the standard wiggle test we all do in a outdoor store, fly shop, etc while admiring a rod the rod will wildly dance all over, along the entire length of the rod.

Sure some rods are designed for this type of action but i think there lis a line that is crossed between a good rod and a poor one. The action feel a bit out of control, if you get my meaning.
Old 09-23-2010, 09:33 AM

pie314 will become famous soon enough

Vans, you nailed it on the head. I'am aware that there are different actions and some rods will "wiggle" a little more than others. I feel that the cabelas rod I have right now flexes throughout the whole rod during casting and i find it hard to be smooth with it because it wiggles all the time. I also have a 7wt. cabelas LST rod for bass pike and warm water lake fishing, I like the feel of that rod but i have broken it twice while trying to land fish, they were not that big either. So I want to try a different brand, maybe a little more reliable, i checked out ross and it seemed like they have some reasonably priced rods. Now i just have to find someone who carrys them around here and go check them out.
Old 09-23-2010, 05:35 PM

Vans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud of

I replaced that noodlie Martin rod with a Reddington Red.Fly2 rod that feels great. It wasnt very expensive(less that $200 at Dick's) and has a good fast action confined to the tip.

See if you can find one and give it a wiggle.
Old 09-23-2010, 06:29 PM

ausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to behold

I do not work for TFO either BUT....I too am about 4 or 5 years into this fly-casting business and though I may have much to learn, I have also fished 9 or 10 rods thoroughly in my efforts to learn to cast. It is true that your casting stroke changes with the action of the rod, but some rods do just feel like wet noodles "to you" when you cast them. If you have tried altering your casting stroke and it is not working for you try a different action rod. I have been told by what I think are honest and informed fly-casters that the TFO finesse is not just the best casting rod for the money, but it is the best casting rod for any money. As the yellowstone shootout showed its capabilities compared to all of the $600 rods you could find, it stands firm as a serious competitor at ANY price piont. After fishing a cheap redington, and a very cheap Bass Pro before that, I started trying the TFO's. I have used the Professional, TICRX (very fast, I only use it for streamers or huge water) I own the 5 wt Finesse in 7'9, and 8'9 and between these two rods, I never reach for another on unless it is my little 7' 3wt brook trout only rig. I can throw tiny tricos and reasonable sized streamers (sz6 dumbell eye) on the 8'9 5 wt. The only thing It doesnt do well is act like a big streamer rod. I have a fast action 5, or a 6 weight that I use for slinging huge articulated size 2 streamers for the night-time Browns. Look for a bad review of the TFO Finesse, I haven't found one anywhere! Only knock is that they are not USA made, but you will not find a $200 USA made rod unless you look at ST. CROIX, but I have never tried one.
Old 09-24-2010, 07:45 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi rookie,

I think the TFO is a good choice in that price range.

Frank
Old 09-28-2010, 09:23 PM

I thought i would follow up on my original question and let everyone know what i decided. First i would like to thank you guys for your help and your suggestions truly helped me in my decision. I went to a new fly shop today and found someone to help me out and i informed him on my situation. I told him what my budget was and what i intended to use the rod for. First, i decided on a #5 rod instead of a #4 because i still want to be able to throw a decent cast into the wind, or a bigger streamer or nymph setup, ect. i came to a conclusion a #5 would perform slightly better. After a 30 minute conversation he picked 4 rods off the rack and we went outside to try them out. The rods were a 8,6" st. croix imperial, a TFO 9,0" professional series, cortland 9,0" big sky, and a sage 9,0" flight series. At this time i was not aware of the price differences, and thats the way i wanted it so my mind wouldnt play tricks on me and pick the most expensive thinking that rod was the best. First was the st. croix, i liked the rod, good control, med. action, but something wasnt there, it didnt have the feedback i wanted. next was the sage, i have to say for such an accomplished company this rod felt the worst, maybe they just focus on their top of the line rods and not too much on their lower end. Then i tried the cortland, this rod was awesome, but the action was a little too fast for me and i didnt feel i could land a soft presentation if need be. The final rod was the TFO, and yup, i found the one, perfect action, stiff for some good distance but still soft enough to be very accurate and lay down a nice presentaion. Feed back through the rod was great, i could feel the line loading on casting and it just had a great feel.
I was amazed at how much my casting improved just by getting a different and higher quality rod. The other added bonus was that the TFO was the cheapest rod of the 4, awesome.
Now i just need to find a quality line, any suggestions?? i was thinking of scientific anglers gpx, i think thats what its called.
Old 09-28-2010, 09:34 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by pie314 View Post
Now i just need to find a quality line, any suggestions?? i was thinking of scientific anglers gpx...
Good thinking.

MP
Old 09-29-2010, 05:03 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi pie314,

The SA GPX is a fine line and I use it on some of my rods. Since you liked the action of the TFO Pro when you casted it, what line did it have? The Pro is not a rod that I would use the GPX with which is a 5 1/2 weight line instead of a 5wt. If you cast it using a GPX then it would be a good choice. If it was a standard 5wt line then I would not go with a GPX.

Frank
Old 09-29-2010, 07:17 PM

charged has a spectacular aura aboutcharged has a spectacular aura aboutcharged has a spectacular aura about

Its difficult to recommend a rod, it seems everybody likes a different feel. I haven't ever used the 3 forks setup, but have used the traditional. (I personally wasn't exactly thrilled with it, it was too slow for me).
Click the image to open in full size.

I now have a few more, and out of my current lineup, I've lately been fishing the Crystal River Cahill the most. It just works for me, and i like it. Despite all the recommendations, you won't know how well you will like the rod, until you cast it. (More money, might not mean that it works better with your casting stroke.)

Looking at the color of the corks, you could kind of see how much I like / fish each of the rods.

The reason the 8wt cabelas gets so little use, is that the 7wt TFO cast lines 6-9 alot better with my stroke, than the 8wt traditional.
Old 09-30-2010, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Whiton View Post
Hi pie314,

The SA GPX is a fine line and I use it on some of my rods. Since you liked the action of the TFO Pro when you casted it, what line did it have? The Pro is not a rod that I would use the GPX with which is a 5 1/2 weight line instead of a 5wt. If you cast it using a GPX then it would be a good choice. If it was a standard 5wt line then I would not go with a GPX.

Frank
Frank,

I was told from a guy at the fly shop it was a good line, im sure it is but, i read more on the line and like you said, it would not be a good fit with my rod. I cant tell you what line i tested the rod out with because the employee at the shop didnt know. All i can tell you is that it was a dull teal color. I wish i knew what the line was because it casted excellent. What kind of line would you suggest. (cold water trout)