The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-06-2008, 10:28 PM

Cowboy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: seating your ferrules

I have been fly fishing for over 60 years and have always used nose grease. Never have had a problem with ferrules coming apart, either casting or breaking down. Sometimes the old way is the best way..
Old 07-07-2008, 02:45 PM

racine is a jewel in the roughracine is a jewel in the roughracine is a jewel in the roughracine is a jewel in the rough

I did the same search fly2fish did calling on Sage and Winston. Sage recommended sparing use of parafin or nothing while Winston recommended using nothing at all. I had to return a rod to Winston for a cracked ferrule that manifested as a joint that would not stay together after 1-2 casts. It also occured after landing 3 large (20-23" browns) in succession each taking 5-10 min. to land ( I had forgotten my net). I happened on some input on Ferrule lube ( U40) and did some further reading. I've used it on 4 of my rods (4,5 & 2 pc) and so far I've not seen any ferrules coming apart( 2 months now). I did not like the possibility of wax attracting sand and etching my graphite so I nixed that idea. I used the facial oil trick for the longest time but thought there would be a better alternative. BTW, U 40 isn't expensive.
Old 07-07-2008, 03:11 PM

Fly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to behold

Oddly, while as I mentioned below I've never yet had a problem with a rod ferrule seizing up, I have had a problem with a collapsible wading staff doing so. Racine, since you actually have some experience using U-40, do you think it would work on aluminum wading staff ferrules as well? I can say with experience that wax does not work well as a lubricant on aluminum wading staff ferrule joints, but perhaps that's because wax is recommended more for its slack space-filling capability rather than its lubricating effect. I do note that U-40 recommends its use on metal ferrules as well as graphite, stating that metal ferrules will require more frequent re-applications than non-metal ones.
Old 07-08-2008, 12:48 AM

randyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to all

I've cracked two ferrules when they came apart when I was casting. I think the best solution is to check the ferrules after every few hours of fishing. Also I started using ferrule wax. Now I'm not so reluctant to twist the ferrules tightly together. So far this seems to be working, but the jury is still out.

Randy
Old 07-09-2008, 01:24 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi to all,

I said this in another thread but with bamboo I use to run the male ferrule through my hair. Then rub the ferrule between my thumb and fingers.

Hey cowboy how are you doing. How far up my nose do I have to insert that ferrule?

Frank
Old 07-10-2008, 07:42 AM

racine is a jewel in the roughracine is a jewel in the roughracine is a jewel in the roughracine is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly2Fish View Post
...I have had a problem with a collapsible wading staff doing so. Racine, since you actually have some experience using U-40, do you think it would work on aluminum wading staff ferrules as well? I can say with experience that wax does not work well as a lubricant on aluminum wading staff ferrule joints, but perhaps that's because wax is recommended more for its slack space-filling capability rather than its lubricating effect. I do note that U-40 recommends its use on metal ferrules as well as graphite, stating that metal ferrules will require more frequent re-applications than non-metal ones.
What have you got to lose? Try it and let us know. I know this, I haven't had a ferrule come loose since using the U40. It actually feels very tight but will pull free when I need it to. Your question is another reason I use wading staffs that screw tight together rather than ones that have an elastic to assemble. I've seen those poles get stuck between rocks and come apart when tugged.
Old 07-10-2008, 09:54 AM

Fly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by racine View Post
. . . Try it and let us know. . . Your question is another reason I use wading staffs that screw tight together rather than ones that have an elastic to assemble. I've seen those poles get stuck between rocks and come apart when tugged.
Racine, that's an interesting point about the advantage of screw-together wading staffs I hadn't considered. If you don't mind me asking, what model do you use?

I've got a trip to the San Juan/NM next week, so I'll check out how the U-40 works on my aluminum wading staff ferrules - that is, if I can figure out a way to get the wax off better than just wiping it off.
Old 07-10-2008, 02:46 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi to all,

Racine makes a good point about the bungee cord type wading staffs. I have had the unit pull apart when I was learning how to use it. It is designed to operate in compression and they work well when used that way. I carry mine in its case on my wader belt. When I am fishing from my pontoon boat I have it at my side. If I stop to fish and wander away from the toon it is right there waiting to be used. I think if I was using one screwed together I might forget it or leave it in the toon thinking I won't need it. Then when I get into a spot that I need a staff, it is in the toon.

Frank