The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-06-2008, 01:01 PM

eaglesfn68 is on a distinguished road
Default seating your ferrules

When you guys put together your rods what method do you use to make sure they don't come apart and your rod breaks. Do you use wax(what type?), no wax, tape, or something else.

I know this is a big concern for people with many piece rods.
Old 07-06-2008, 01:49 PM

Fly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: seating your ferrules

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaglesfn68 View Post
When you guys put together your rods what method do you use to make sure they don't come apart and your rod breaks. Do you use wax(what type?), no wax, tape, or something else.

I know this is a big concern for people with many piece rods.
Funny you asked - I've had the same questions and just finished researching them out. While some rod manufacturers suggest wax for ferrule lubrication, others say that's the worst thing you can use, since it tends to attract grit which can scratch the graphite causing stress points potentially breaking the rod and in any case wax build-up can distort the ferrule clearances stressing the female ferrule and possibly cracking it under strain. From what I've read, the consensus seems to be to use lubricants specifically designed for ferrules like U-40 or Renzetti Ferrule Lubes.

As additional protection for keeping the rod sections from coming apart under casting leverage, most of the thought on this seems to come from the Spey casters, since the combination of two hands and longer rods results in greater leverage on the rod ferrule joints with a greater likelihood of ferrule slippage and separation during a heavy cast. The standard school of thought there seems to be to use electric tape (3M All Season recommended because of less likelihood of tape residue damaging the rod finish) wrapped around each ferrule joint. If done carefully, the tape can be re-wound and re-used, cutting down further on possible rod finish damage which is increased each time the tape is completely removed. The second and more recent method for preventing ferrule joint separation is by using short sections of surgical latex tubing to slightly stretch-fit over each ferrule joint much like a compression bandage. When not in use, the tubing can be rolled back over the female ferrule, to be rolled back down again over the male ferrule section when the rod is next re-assembled.

I am in the process of trying to remove the wax from my rods' ferrules (any suggestions much appreciated!) and coating them with U-40 Ferrule Lube, as well as adding short latex tubing sections for preventing ferrule slippage, for a fly-fishing trip I have planned for mid-July, and I'll report back on how well this new set-up worked when I get back.
Old 07-06-2008, 02:18 PM

this all sounds ridiculous to me. I mean cant i fish by just putting my rod together. My family fly fishes and they don't use anything to put the ferrules together and they have never had anything break. I mean just by checking your ferrules every couple of casts or so should work shouldn't it.

and i do mostly roll casting so wouldn't that make it less likely for the ferrules to come apart since there is not as much stress on the rod.
Old 07-06-2008, 02:47 PM

plland is on a distinguished road

I've always just stuck the pieces together too.
2. What I use when a black #10 woolly bugger isn't catching.
Old 07-06-2008, 03:02 PM

but if your have a 4 piece rod it might be a bigger deal than a 2 piece rod.
Old 07-06-2008, 03:48 PM

Joe D is on a distinguished road

Try putting your rod together with each section at a 90 degree angle to the other and turning them inline as you seat the sections. If your rod still gets loose you may want to try some ferule wax used sparingly. If you wax your ferule, you only need to do it once or twice a season, not every time you use the rod. Remember, less is more.

Keep in mind that temperature changes can cause the ferules to loosen, so if the problem seems to occur in the evening when it starts to cool down, or mid morning when it starts to warm up you might want to simply reseat your rod.

The other thing to watch is if you're casting like a nut.

If all else fails, you can try going through the process that Fly2Fish spelled out above.

Personally, I'd send the rod back to the manufacturer if ferule slippage became a nuisance. If it's a big box rod made in China or Korea your probably just out of luck.
Old 07-06-2008, 03:55 PM

wtex50 will become famous soon enoughwtex50 will become famous soon enough

a quarter turn to seat the ferrules on my graphite rods...straight on (no turn) with my bamboo...I don't normally use ferrule wax except if I have a loose ferrule.. I will use wax to tighten it up. That really shouldn't be a problem with graphite though...happens more often with bamboo
Old 07-06-2008, 04:18 PM

FISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to behold

I've always used a little nose grease when I put my rod together, & after it's together I'll grab the tip section lightly & tap the butt section on my boot toe a few times to insure it's tight...........
I've never had to do it but as long as we're on the subject , How do you separate a rod that has been stuck too tightly together. What's the best way to grab it & will heat & ice work???
Old 07-06-2008, 04:41 PM

Joe D is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by FISHN50 View Post
How do you separate a rod that has been stuck too tightly together. What's the best way to grab it & will heat & ice work???
What works for me is to hold the rod behind my knees with the my legs close together. Then I slowly and evenly move my knees out and pull the rod apart.
Old 07-06-2008, 07:55 PM

Fly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to behold

Keep in mind that the "100% best solution" I suggested below is the closest we all have now to a perfect solution (unless someone else can come up with a better solution, which I haven't seen yet). For myself, I've always before followed Joe D's procedure with no problems, i.e., nose grease works great. However, the procedure I outlined below is really not much extra effort considering the cost of modern high-end fly rods, which is why I am now trying it out.

I'd also add that Joe D's procedure for freeing up frozen ferrule joints works equally well for frozen collapsible wading staff joints. The only thing I'd add is that the applicatiion of ice to the frozen joint before the behind-the-knees force application will enhance its effectiveness.

Thanks for your suggestions, Joe D.