The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-08-2008, 10:21 AM

axle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud of
Default St. Croix Avid

Sorry to bother people with questions, but you guys are my main source of info on rods and equipment. No one I know around me does any fly fishing.

What does anyone one know about the St. Croix Avid's that are pre-IPC? I got a line on an 8' 3wt.
Old 07-08-2008, 11:04 AM

deserttrout6 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: St. Croix Avid

I don't know what IPC is but I have several Avids that are over 4 years old and they are great!!! To me, they are the best rod for the dollar, they are made in America, they are forgiving and in addition to my flyrods (3,5 and a 6w) I have a custom 9' Spinning rod made from an Avid black and a custom 9' casting/trolling rod also made from the Avid blank.

deserttrout
Old 07-08-2008, 11:08 AM

axle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud of

According to the St. Croix site, it stand for "Integrated Poly Curve".

History

I love St. Croix rods for all of those reasons. I have an older Imperial 9ft. 5wt and two (2) spinning rods (Premiers) that are ultralight. One is a custom.
Old 07-08-2008, 11:52 AM

deserttrout6 is on a distinguished road

The Avid is a step above the Imperial (I have several of these, most 5W and UNUSED!!! I sell for $125 either 2 or 4 piece). I also like St Croix!
Jim
Old 07-09-2008, 07:48 PM

LDR is on a distinguished road

I have got a AF803 and love it. I use 4wt line and don't have a problem getting a hefty deer hair caddis out there. It is a joy to use and is light enough to throw bugs all day long.
Old 07-09-2008, 09:42 PM

FlyRichardFly will become famous soon enoughFlyRichardFly will become famous soon enough

I have a 8' 3wt Avid that I purchased just before the IPC. I bought it at Cabelas in Hamburg, PA for only $99. Big sale, lots of flyrodders buying. It lists for 180, I think.
St Croix are wonderful rods that used to be made in America. Now most are made in China.
St Croix was my favorite rod until they got money hungry!! The Legend Ultra was the top SC rod. A beautiful green, super light, fast action with beautiful cork. Then they made the Legend Elite...... at twice the price!! And all the new models. I don't get it!! The Premier blank with a lot of marketing and a lot of new names!
St Croix used to say "the great American rod with a modest price"
Now almost all of their stuff is made overseas and they must have gotten some new marketing guys. The spin rods are laughingly funny with the horrible bright blue and all the funny names with the new rods.
IMHO the old St Croix rods before IPC were the best around, but now I wouldn't buy another one.
Redington, my fav, just got bought out and Orvis, my second fav, went into the clothing business!! LOL All the sales are womens clothing!! Every week on my pc I see another sale for Orvis cloths!
Sorry for venting....... I still think Orvis is the best with Sage right behind them.
When I get enough courage, I will get a Helios or a Z-Axis. For some strange reason, I'm afraid to spend my money on fishing stuff...... but I shell it out for everything else!

"People are crazy, times are strange"
"I'm locked in tight, I'm out of range"
"I used to care, but things have changed"
- Dylan
Old 07-09-2008, 10:40 PM

plland is on a distinguished road

Not sure what you mean by most of St Croix stuff is made in China now. I have a Legend Ultra that I purchased recently and it says "USA" on the blank.
2. What I use when a black #10 woolly bugger isn't catching.
Old 07-10-2008, 07:23 AM

St. Croix has definately changed their warranties in the last few years. As far as fly rods go, the Reigns, Avids and up get a lifetime, although the Reign has a limited lifetime. The Premiers and Triumphs have a 5-year. It's a little confusing.

As far as where the stuff is made: (pasted from the St. Croix site)

Legend Elite, Legend Ultra, Legend Tournament, Legend Inshore, Avid, Premier, Tidemaster, Wild River - USA
Reign, Triumph, Premier Ice Rods - China
Legend Fly Reels - England
Avid Bait Casting Reels - Japan
Avid Spinning Reels & Premier Reels (Except Model 750) - Thailand
Premier Spinning Reel Model 750 - China
Premier Fly Reels - China

I am so leaning toward buying the 3wt. I'm looking at it for Panfish.
Old 07-10-2008, 11:38 AM

LDR is on a distinguished road

Got a spot down the road a bit that has some 1.5 pound bluegill. They will double over a 3wt; and talk about fun. The Avid 3 wt is just the rod to put a grin on your face with some panfish.
Old 07-10-2008, 12:36 PM

I got a few places in mind for this rod. However, it might be a little light if the largemouth my son caught there decides to play. That was 2 years ago, and he as 14" if an 1".