The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-09-2008, 05:09 AM

socalsalt will become famous soon enough
Default Joni: anglers roost serpentine reel

Hi Joni, Did you get the serpentine reel yet from anglers roost yet? Is it barstock or cast? I called the owner and he is not! a nice fellow at all,I politely asked him if his serpentine reel was barstock and he screamed at me "I dont know if it is barstock, it comes from the east"!
Are all New yorkers just AS*HO*E*?????? I mean it is his fudging product, he should know it inside out?!?!??!?! Remind me to stay away from New Yark and any New Yarkers

What confidence does it give you if he does not even know if the reel he is selling you is barstock or not? And to scream and be rude? If anyone else wants to call him and see if they get a more human like response the anglers roost phone number is 716-565-9838. (google anglers roost and you will see it is the office number and I am not giving you his private phone number)
Old 07-09-2008, 08:43 AM
jose will become famous soon enoughjose will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Joni: anglers roost serpentine reel

It's true that many New Yorkers can be a bit more high strung than those from more relaxed parts of the world, but don't let one person turn you off to NY or to its people. I was born and bred here, and I would have the same reaction as you did if someone were to treat me the way you were treated. That person was a jerk, regardless of where he comes from.
Old 07-09-2008, 12:59 PM

Brunner is on a distinguished road

I think there's rotten apples in every bunch and not every stereotype is true. With that being said, I will now get on my horse and go get some Lone Star Beer and a 72 oz. steak.
Old 07-09-2008, 01:15 PM

plland is on a distinguished road

What is this thread? A private message to Joni, a rant, or are you looking to discuss Anglers Roost reels?

In case you didn't know, the private messaging tool is in the upper right corner of the forum control panel.
2. What I use when a black #10 woolly bugger isn't catching.
Old 07-09-2008, 07:58 PM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by plland View Post
What is this thread? A private message to Joni, a rant, or are you looking to discuss Anglers Roost reels?

In case you didn't know, the private messaging tool is in the upper right corner of the forum control panel.
Sounds like just a question directed to her about Angers Roost. The guy you talked to is a total prick, he's the same way with e-mail. And that's the nicest thing I can say about ole Bubba.. (I'm suprised that company is still in business). No go with that reel btw. It's a Vom Hoffe repro and it weighs a ton, is made in China, the clown has been trying to sell them on ebay for a couple months now with no takers. And only $75. And I can't imagine why.
Old 07-09-2008, 09:39 PM

plland is on a distinguished road

That's why I was wondering if he meant to send it PM. Since we're discussing Anglers Roost, I have one of their Reel 101's and the spool feels smooth and balanced like it could be barstock. However, the drag has a significant amount of start up friction and is very below average in terms of smoothness. I would be very suspect of any new reels by ARE that don't claim to have better drags than that reel has.
2. What I use when a black #10 woolly bugger isn't catching.
Old 07-09-2008, 11:14 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry SOCALSALT, I just saw this post. Like Mojo said, the guy that answered my e-mail lost my money right out of the gate. A-HOLE.
I am strange anyway in that I like the newer reels.
I did get a cool South Bend off e-bay. Down side is it is right hand retrieve and I am not sure I want to deal with that and it is RED and I already have GREEN silk thread for my Boo I am going to build. That is why I was interested in the BASS PRO SHOP Olive Mid Arbor. The olive/bronze could look nice and the fact the mid arbors are a little heavier could work out nice on a 7'9" or 8' Payne 201.

A friend of ,mine in Alaska did get the Vom Hoffe replica, and yes it is way heavy. I will ask him what it is made of.
Old 07-08-2009, 12:28 PM

gerry is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by socalsalt View Post
Hi Joni, Did you get the serpentine reel yet from anglers roost yet? Is it barstock or cast? I called the owner and he is not! a nice fellow at all,I politely asked him if his serpentine reel was barstock and he screamed at me "I dont know if it is barstock, it comes from the east"!
Are all New yorkers just AS*HO*E*?????? I mean it is his fudging product, he should know it inside out?!?!??!?! Remind me to stay away from New Yark and any New Yarkers

What confidence does it give you if he does not even know if the reel he is selling you is barstock or not? And to scream and be rude? If anyone else wants to call him and see if they get a more human like response the anglers roost phone number is 716-565-9838. (google anglers roost and you will see it is the office number and I am not giving you his private phone number)
I to delt with this guy, and he was far from polite.
Old 07-08-2009, 02:03 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

Seeing how this post popped back up.
I will say, I wouldn't buy the Anglers Roost reel. It is a terrible reel. It has a gap in the middle that jams up with line not to mention what it does to your line, and the reel seat is weird. Only fits certain reel seats.
Don't waist your money. Now ZHU has one and it is nice.