The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-24-2010, 12:28 PM

eldermike is on a distinguished road
Default Re: tippet discussion

Frank: I did some home testing of rods and tippets for my own knowledge. I tied off tippet and then attempted to break it while taking full advantage of the rod and reel. It's very easy to break with the wrong rod. With my mid flex 3 w and drag set on the reel I can't break it. Unless I point the rod on a low angle or stop the reel from turning the tippet is safe from me. I get about 2 lbs pull out of this rod. That's more than enough for a good sized fish.

But I hear you, longer leaders and 6X min tippet is where I am headed with all this.
Old 09-24-2010, 12:37 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Whiton View Post
I have never felt it was necessary to use a 7X tippet. I always thought a longer leader was better than a super fine tippet. If 7X or 8X tippets are wanted then a very soft rod is needed to protect the tippets.

I have had good luck with Orvis or Rio leaders and tippet material. My favorite leader is the Frog Hair 9'6" trout leader and I use Frog Hair tippet material with their leaders. Climax was my favorite Salmon leaders.

Frank
Frank: I thought I heard that Frog Hair was discontinuing their leader/tippet line, but can't remember where I heard it. I know the fly shops are discounting it at 30%. Here is one site that mentions the 30% discount.
North Park Anglers

Larry
Old 09-24-2010, 12:53 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

Fluorocarbon is not suppose to have a shelf life. That is why all the fuss not to throw wast on the ground.
My river flies are 22 to 32 and I use......2lb P-Line. Seriously. It is cheaper although a bigger diameter lb for lb. but I attach all flies with a loop so I can use bigger diameter.

I will second Rio tippet however, and add Frog Hair.
Old 09-24-2010, 03:11 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi Larry,

That site is selling Frog Hair at a discount but they are also selling other gear at the same 30 percent discount. I checked Feather-Craft/Kaufmann and they are not selling at a discount. I hope MP sees this thread and can tell us if he knows anything about Frog Hair.

Frank
Old 09-24-2010, 03:12 PM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future

I use Rio 7X FlouroFlex for bigger fish on the tailwaters and haven't had a problem that wasn't my fault.
I use a 5 weight rod that has power yet has a soft tip that takes the shock of a run or a take nicely. I also have my drag set at a way low level. When the fish takes line the longer length of line itself seems to give enough drag to help subdue the fish.
I admit to having a serious problem with Rio standard mono tippet in the way distant past, the stuff just parted on two of the largest bass in my life. That really miffed me off and at the time I swore... loudly, and swore off Rio. Later I came to the realization that the dealer probably sold me old stock or stock that baked in the sunshine for a few months. I haven't had a problem with Rio since I went back to it 6-7 years ago.
Now all I have to do is see if I still 'got it' and latch on to a few more of those big browns this weekend at the PFF!
Old 09-24-2010, 03:28 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

From what I understand is that Gamma, makers of Frog Hair, got out of the fly fishing industry. It is not as lucrative as the tennis industry. Gamma makes some of the best tennis strings on the market.

MP
Old 09-30-2010, 08:56 PM

flyfishpirate is on a distinguished road

I have always had great luck with RIO, I am using RIO and ORVIS currently, It also depends on how you handle your fish. And casts as well.

Jon

Fly Fishing; Pirates, Ramblers and Gamblers
Old 10-04-2010, 02:53 PM

eldermike is on a distinguished road

Any of you good folks designed your own test for tippet strength? I would be intrested in knowing about them.

I just threw out a few spools of tippet based on my last trip and a negative result from one spool.
Here is what I noticed: FWIW

1) If it breaks with almost zero stretching (acts brittle) it was made wrong or has gone bad over time. Flora is thought to be safe over time. My results do not hold this to be true.
2) While using a palomar knot on a large hook it will not lift slightly over it's marked weight, it's bad. This is easy to do if you have a few dumbbell weights around the house.
3) My last personal test is picking up 80 percent of marked weight with a cinch knot. Example: 7X marked 2.6lbs will not lift 2lbs.
4) Any break while under test that's not at the knot, it's bad. knots do not make the material stronger, they in fact make it weaker. IMHO tippet should break at one of the knots and the fly knot should act weaker than the leader knot.

Agree/disagree?
Old 10-04-2010, 06:25 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

For my trout fishing tippet, I use Orvis Marage tippet and have always been very happy with it. I have not used Rio, mainly because the local fly shops I got to stock Orvis, so I have generally had some on hand and like to stick with one manufacturer.

Tried the Frog Hair and wasn't impressed, especially for the price point. MP, is that news relatively new? Their website still looks in tact?
http://www.froghairfishing.com/index.cfm

If I am fishing for Steelhead, I have been using a hand tied leader of: Amnesia>Maxima Chameleon>Seaguar Flouro. Seaguar Flouro is VERY tough to beat for price and quality IMHO.
Old 10-04-2010, 06:48 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joni View Post
Fluorocarbon is not suppose to have a shelf life.
I don't trust fluoro one bit and that's because the first spool of it that I ever had didn't last 3 months before you could bust it to pieces in your hands.

On the other hand I have some Orvis SuperStrong mono that's probably 18 years old and still good