The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-05-2010, 07:55 AM

eldermike is on a distinguished road
Default Re: tippet discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip Tide View Post
I don't trust fluoro one bit and that's because the first spool of it that I ever had didn't last 3 months before you could bust it to pieces in your hands.

On the other hand I have some Orvis SuperStrong mono that's probably 18 years old and still good
Yep, some fluorocarbon gets brittle..and that's the reason I started this thread.
Fluoro + carbon is connected in a complex chain through manufacturing/processing.
Perfect processing = a material that will not degrade as we know degradation in fishing lines.
Less than perfect processing = a different outcome.

I have no idea which of the line companies are actual manufactures of lines and which ones have lines manufactured and sell under a brand lable. The differences would be they own plastics processing gear and employee engineers, scientists and operators. Or, they purchase line under a specification they control.

But either way processing is the key.
Old 11-23-2010, 04:34 AM

rangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to all

Probably get some argument here, but I'll toss in my two cents . . . if I want to fish flouro, I don't buy tippet anymore. I buy berkeley Vanish flouro in 2 lb. or 4 lb. or 6 lb. The diameters are pretty close, and the strength is at least as good as anything you can get from RIO, Umpqua, etc. And (drumroll) it's way cheaper by the yard. Bascially for what you pay for 30m of RIO you get 100 yards of Vanish. Also, most fishing line manufacturers have something equivalent to Vanish in price (seaguar, P line, etc.) I just happen to like vanish.

If, for some reason, it has to say 'tippet' on the spool, then I guess I'd go with RIO or Frog's Hair. Or Umpqua. They all work.
Old 11-23-2010, 09:45 AM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with you on regular fluoro over tippet fluoro, but the diameters are bigger than tippet material.
When I am down to the 2 lb, that means #28 and smaller for me and the regular 2 lb is too big and not as supple.

Any other time, I am total agreement with you.

I do however use P-Line and Seagar. I used Vanish this year. Started off using the 6lb and lost a great fish. Line "broke". So I switched to 8 lb....line broke. Tried 10 lb....again, line broke.
These were very nice fish (Henry's Lake) and I wanted to cry!
I normally use P-Line, but I had this Vanish from the past because it was cheaper.
Well, I put the 6 lb P-Line on and landed every single hooked fish the rest of the trip.

So, basically, I wish you luck with your vanish, but, for me, I will never buy it again.
Old 11-23-2010, 10:28 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

I know for a fact that Bass fishermen using regular Bass gear had a problem with Vanish breaking. I think that Seagar is a much better choice.

Frank
Old 11-23-2010, 12:26 PM

eldermike is on a distinguished road

What I have discovered is that testing your tippet before you fish it is good pratice. Take a piece and waste it by pulling on it, if it suprises you with an easy break you have just saved your fishing trip.
Old 11-23-2010, 12:30 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

I do now...LOL! But seriously, Fluoro is not suppose to have any kind of shelf life so, I was surprised at the breaking of Vanish. Can't blame it on an older batch. Can't blame it on a bad batch as it was several different weights....soooooo, I just don't trust it anymore.
Old 11-23-2010, 01:28 PM

rangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joni View Post
I agree with you on regular fluoro over tippet fluoro, but the diameters are bigger than tippet material.
When I am down to the 2 lb, that means #28 and smaller for me and the regular 2 lb is too big and not as supple.

Any other time, I am total agreement with you.

I do however use P-Line and Seagar. I used Vanish this year. Started off using the 6lb and lost a great fish. Line "broke". So I switched to 8 lb....line broke. Tried 10 lb....again, line broke.
These were very nice fish (Henry's Lake) and I wanted to cry!
I normally use P-Line, but I had this Vanish from the past because it was cheaper.
Well, I put the 6 lb P-Line on and landed every single hooked fish the rest of the trip.

So, basically, I wish you luck with your vanish, but, for me, I will never buy it again.
Good info. I've never fished anything smaller than a 22 so I wasn't aware of the problem there. Also, I rarely use flouro.

And I understand your concerns about vanish. I have never had that problem with vanish, however, I had a similar experience with seaguar's about 4 years ago. It was some time before I tried it again about a year ago, and though I haven't had any problems with it since, that little voice in the back of my head mumbles negative something or others behind my back whenever I tie it on. But whenever someone has asked me about flouro choices, I tell them seaguar's is pretty good line, as I haven't had any problems wth it since last year.

P.S. Part of the reason I still use vanish is that I still have about 60 yards of it. When that's gone, I'll probably switch to P line.
Old 11-23-2010, 09:28 PM

Fly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to behold

I'm skeptical that either mono or fluoro will naturally degrade over time if it's stored out of the sun and high heat conditions. I admit I have no scientific evidence, but anecdotally I can attest to the fact that when I first got back into fly-fishing on a family trip to Yellowstone after 30 years, my fly rod still had the 7x tippet I had used three decades earlier when fishing the spooky trout of southern New Mexico. I landed an 18" Cutthroat on it - admittedly on a softer fiberglass rod that protected that 7x tippet well - but after 30 years that tippet held up just fine.

That's not to say that there can't be defective tippet, just that I doubt that it inherently degrades over a decade or so. I recognize that tippet spools often have "expiration dates" on them, but that seems to be the practice on everything these days, whether or not prompted by fact.
Old 11-23-2010, 10:52 PM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

I never used less than 5X tippet until this year, when I began using #18 and #20 drys and midges. I used Rio's 6X mono, and it was fine. Caught lots of nice trout, and only lost one fish due to breakage. Fast foward to this summer, and I bought some spools of Rio that were brittle. They had an older style label, so that should have been a red flag right there. I now pull 6 inches of tippet of spools smaller than 5X, and give a tug before buying. Lots of spools fail the test, and I'm glad I decided to scrutinize tippet more closely before leaving the store. My new favorite stream is SOOO clear and low, even 6X looks huge when using a small dry. I've begun to use flourocarbon because I read that it doesn't reflect light as much as mono, but it still has a good bit of glare when the Sun is low. In any case, 6X is my standard tippet when using drys now, because my standard dry is a #18 or smaller. I caught a nice brown last weekend on a #20 Al's Rat (tied off the bend of a #18 BWO), and used 7X for that. No problem with breakage, even when hung up in several bushes! Having said that, the 7X tippet I bought a couple months ago took quite a while to weed out. Some spools snapped with almost no pressure, and others seemed awfully strong. The flouro I bought was Umpqua, as the Rio flouro didn't seem as strong as the Umpqua. I use both Rio and Umpqua, and base my purchases based on the tug test. Umpqua seems to have a slightly smaller diameter than Rio, but that's another story that needs a digital micrometer......
Old 11-24-2010, 06:25 AM

Tracker12 will become famous soon enoughTracker12 will become famous soon enough

Seagar for me. I started using it a couple years ago on my steelhead spinning tackle. The creeks were low and clear in Erie and 4# was needed to entice a strike. That stuff worked great. I watched as my fishing partners had numerous break offs with other line brands. After a few hours they were all using my Seagar. I use their tip material but for the most part I buy 100 yards spools of there floro and use it. It's diameter is very small compared to others and breaking strength is way past what is marked. Also it is supple enough without being to soft and kinking.