The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-24-2010, 09:02 AM

eldermike is on a distinguished road
Default tippet discussion

Is there a thread on here thats about tippet materials/brands/issues? Are there any current issues with some manufacturers?

I am not into trashing brands, that's not what I am looking for here.
But all tippet is not created equal, that's a fact.

The reason I ask? I broke off several fish this last weekend and tossed some new and within date 7X tippet in the trash can. I hate leaving hooks in fish over quality issues with the gear I purchase. In once case I spent an hour on one big brown before he/she took the fly. The tippet did not break at the knot but broke about half way of it's length.

Before you start, I know how to fish and how to land fish on light gear.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.
Old 09-24-2010, 09:30 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: tippet discussion

Mike: I don't recall seeing a tippet brand discussion (but I might have missed it). As you already know having quality materials is critical when going after big trout on 7x. I feel your pain as I have had issues in the past, but it was mainly with using tippet that was old, nowdays I only use tippet one season and replenish prior to the next fishing season. I use Rio Fluoroflex Plus, but would like to hear what others are doing and their experiences with tippet.

Larry
Old 09-24-2010, 09:35 AM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

And you know, I figured I was safe with Fluorocarbon as there is really no expiration date on it, so probably the brand.
While at Henry's I was broke off by a big fish so I upped the line to 8lb same brand. Broke off three more times.
Switched back to another brand in a 6 lb and no more break offs the entire trip.
Old 09-24-2010, 10:15 AM

I am a fan of Rio, it was not Rio I was using at the time. I am going to order some fluoroflex plus today.

I also wonder about the dates printed on spools. What storage conditions would be necessary to achieve good results within the expiration date on the material? Let's say a display in a fly shop allows full sunlight on inventory. I would guess that's not a good idea.
Old 09-24-2010, 10:33 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by eldermike View Post
I am a fan of Rio, it was not Rio I was using at the time. I am going to order some fluoroflex plus today.

I also wonder about the dates printed on spools. What storage conditions would be necessary to achieve good results within the expiration date on the material? Let's say a display in a fly shop allows full sunlight on inventory. I would guess that's not a good idea.
Mike: I have heard in the past that sunlight deteriorates tippet material, but now I see that Orvis is selling material that they say is "completely resistant to UV" whatever that means.
Fluorocarbon Tippets / Mirage Fluorocarbon Tippet -- Orvis

Joni: You fish a lot of small flies, what brand tippet do you like best?

Larry
Old 09-24-2010, 10:54 AM

Good discussion thus far.

I have also heard that fluor...... is resistant to UV, but the word resistant is a marketing word without any real meaning in the pratical world. I do know they print dates on spools, I assume for good reasons.

On second thought I now wish I had returned the spool to the manufacturer for an evaluation.

Any of you good folks use Rio powerflex? I have not used it and am considering buying some to try out.

---------- Post added at 08:54 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:51 AM ----------

So it's not missed I wanted to say again that my material did not break at the knots. It could have broken at a wind knot but I will never know if that's actually the case.

If I break one off at the knot I take the blame and move on.
Old 09-24-2010, 10:59 AM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

I've used the RIO Powerflex 1x-6x for a few years now with no issues that come to mind. I also dump my older stuff at the start of the next season.

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm certain they're wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

Old 09-24-2010, 11:27 AM

Jimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant future

I've always had break-offs with 7X, even to the point that guys thought that I might be "burning" the tippet when I pull my knots tight. Not so much with 6X so I tossed my 7X too. 6X is as small as I'm going from now on (I can't tie any smaller than low 20's flies anyway).
Old 09-24-2010, 11:48 AM

I have had good luck with 7X on my 9 foot 3 weight as long as I keep my hands off the line. If I break one off is usually before I get the fish on the reel or I break it in the net.

But I hear you on 6X being the lightest pratical tippet, I agree.

Last week on the South Holston the conditions were bluebird day and low clear water. 7X was all that I could get a bite on.
Old 09-24-2010, 11:56 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

I have never felt it was necessary to use a 7X tippet. I always thought a longer leader was better than a super fine tippet. If 7X or 8X tippets are wanted then a very soft rod is needed to protect the tippets.

I have had good luck with Orvis or Rio leaders and tippet material. My favorite leader is the Frog Hair 9'6" trout leader and I use Frog Hair tippet material with their leaders. Climax was my favorite Salmon leaders.

Frank