The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-09-2008, 08:07 PM

smith950 is on a distinguished road
Default Landing Net material

I have searched the site for a little while and can not find any info on landing net bag material. I am looking for a net and would like to know the differences in bag material.

One website lists rubber, nylon, soft-poly, heavy-poly and pvc netting material.

This will be a net for mostly trout and I do catch and release. So I want a netting material that will harm fish the least amount.
Old 07-10-2008, 08:34 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton
Default Re: Landing Net material

Hi smith950,

There is a lot of controversy dealing with netting fish. Here is an abstract that has some tested information. You have to be a member to read the complete article.

It would seem that all netting causes some damage to fish. The hard knotted nylon is the worst choice. If you use a knotless mesh that would be the best choice. You also want a material that doesn't rub off the fish slim while in the net. The rubber nets don't have any knots and you are far less apt to hook the net. Most rubber nets I have seen are heavy for their size and not real flexible. The abstract stated that landing a fish by hand may be less harmfully to the fish.

You may find that the The Ketchum Release is the best way to release a fish. It keeps you from handling the fish.

The Ketchum Release
Click the image to open in full size.
Old 07-10-2008, 09:42 AM

FlyGal has a spectacular aura aboutFlyGal has a spectacular aura about

After a short time of using fabric nets and getting the fly & fish tangle in the net I went with hand landing....

During the warmer time of year I noticed that I had to make the fish so tired to hand land that they were in need of tlc for recovery.

And then this net came on the market....

Manufacture excerpt:
Quote:
Fisknat is NOW doing all nets in light weight rubber!!! These bags are 100% rubber and just as durable as our previous rubber bags. The only new thing about them is they weigh 1/2 as much. These Fisknat nets are weighing in at only 1.2 ounces more then standard nylon, there is virtually no difference between the two!! FISKNAT is the only wood landing net manufacture with this product!!
I love it and the fact that the entire wooden area floats enabling two hands to work on the fish. Now when I release the fish they have plenty of energy to swim right away. I debarb all my flies and as soon as the fish gets into the net and I let up on the rod the fly pops out all on it's own. A quick pic and off the fish goes still full of spunk.

Great product and it really does weigh very little, I carry it all the time and never feel it.

There website sucks, but the product is great!
Fisknat Landing Nets - Rubber bag fly fishing landing nets
Old 07-10-2008, 09:46 AM

mark schafer is on a distinguished road

I'll have to figure out how to do the fancy pictures like the rest of you, but till then I carry one of these
Rising - 2008 - Improving the fishing Experience
MS
Old 07-10-2008, 05:10 PM

FlyGal has a spectacular aura aboutFlyGal has a spectacular aura about

I still lip'em .....I enjoy using my thumb though.....I'm sure you have seen a striper thumb....

But have you heard of a brookie thumb.....I got my first one last October and hope for another this fall!
Old 07-10-2008, 08:23 PM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute

I have the same experience as FyGal with it comes to the new rubber mesh landing nets. As soon as the fish is in the net; it throws the hook, there's usually no need to remove the fly from the fish (I also use only barbless hooks; pinched down bards, actually). The fish do not tangle in the rubber mesh and if you keep the net partially submerged; my target is not to expose the gill area to the air, then the fish literally swims out of the net in a sort of "self release". It's been a long time since I've had to revive a fish when using the rubber mesh nets.
Old 07-10-2008, 08:44 PM

Frank,

The research paper follows what I was thinking. I wasn't sure how rubber, no matter how soft, would not harm the fish. I have noticed the difference in weight with a rubber net. On our recent trip we used my dads net with a rubber bag to land northerns and walleyes. It worked great, but was heavier then normal nets.

Both Laurie and I have been using our hands. Getting them wet before touching the fish. But her knee it getting pretty bad and the bending shorten her time in the water. I will go take a look at a ketchum and also Marks suggestion of the lippo tool. They might be just what see needs.

Scott
Old 07-10-2008, 09:04 PM

Pocono,

Thanks for the input. I either use barbless hooks or smash down the barb. Have you noticed a weight difference with the rubber bagged net?

Sorry the engineer in me is coming out here, ie I over analysis things.

From what I've read and everyone has said here. All nets do some harm to the fish. Knotted netting material is a lot worse than the smoother knotless bags. The softer the material the better. Rubber net bags are good but usually heavier than nylon nets.

Scott
Old 07-11-2008, 02:55 AM

tlcrep will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyGal View Post

Great product and it really does weigh very little, I carry it all the time and never feel it.[/url]
<warning, sales rep for competing net company>
I have to admit that Fisknat and Ghost nets are light nettings. It really saddens me that Greg can't find a light netting, his nets are about the same cost and a hundred times more pretty, and fisknat are just ...... Great nettings tho
Old 07-11-2008, 06:11 AM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by smith950 View Post
Pocono,

Thanks for the input. I either use barbless hooks or smash down the barb. Have you noticed a weight difference with the rubber bagged net?

Sorry the engineer in me is coming out here, ie I over analysis things.

From what I've read and everyone has said here. All nets do some harm to the fish. Knotted netting material is a lot worse than the smoother knotless bags. The softer the material the better. Rubber net bags are good but usually heavier than nylon nets.

Scott
Hi Scott,

Yes, the rubber mesh nets that we have experience with are heavier than the knotted line nylon nets. It took my wife and I a couple of outings to get used to them, but after that, we never noticed them again. Overall, it's a trade-of at this point, between comfort for the user and better protection for the fish. We opted for the latter, and I'm glad we did.

Now, if someone were to come out with a rubber mesh net that was as light as the knotted nylon nets, then we'd probably be upgrading our present gear.