The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-12-2008, 09:40 PM

Matttrick is on a distinguished road
Default Give me ideas for my vacation

OK, so here's the scoop.

My wife and I are headed to the west coast in 6 days, for a week and a half. Fly to San Fransisco, spend 2 days, then road trip it to Portand for a couple of days, then onto Seattle for a couple of days. The times in between will be spent in various National Parks. We'll be pretty touristy. I want to go see the Crater Lake and my wife wants to see the Redwoods. Our travel route should keep us on the lengthy highway 101 most of time, but we do plan on venturing over towards I-5 for faster commuting, etc.

Naturally, I'd like to take some fly gear, but I'm clueless. Can I take my 8wt, or would that be overkill? What about licensing in Oregon and Washington? How's the water? It's hot here in TX.

Can someone point me to some reading materials and links so I can get a general idea of what to take/expect fly wise? Tips/advice greatly appreciated.

How'r those gas prices? Are they in the 4.50-5.00/gallon range right now?

Thanks,
Matt
Old 07-13-2008, 11:32 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton
Default Re: Give me ideas for my vacation

Hi Matt,

Sounds like a fun trip. Traveling the 101 is a neat way to go but it is slooow. SF is 800 miles from Seattle. If you have to adjust your trip make sure you don't delete the Redwoods. While you are standing there looking at those giants think back to what was going on during their lifetime. I guess they are not as old as the Sequoia trees.

While in SF the Golden Gate park is a good venue. Primarily because it has the casting ponds and if you have the time it is a good stop. You never know who might be casting. If you arrange it ahead of time you might be able to set up a lesson.

As you go North you first good opportunity to fish will be around Redding. If it was me and I really wanted to fish I would hire a guide for a day. You can use his gear and flies. Check out The Fly Shop. They have connections with some local lakes were you can fish for a daily fee. Look at their web site for some ideas about fishing. I don't think you have enough time to find fishing on your own.

You next good opportunity is around Medford, Or. Again your best bet is a local fly shop or a guide. Oops, I forgot you will be on the coast highway. There are all kinds of streams you will be crossing but I don't think you have the time to search one out.

Frank
Old 07-13-2008, 11:58 AM

troutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to behold

I agree with Frank on fishing in Redding. Multiple lakes to fish as well as numerous great rivers. The Fly Shop is a great place to start. If you're short on time I would hit the Sac with a guide. In Oregon I like the Bend area.
Old 07-13-2008, 01:28 PM

Thank you Frank & packfancjh,

That's kind of what I was thinking. The Redwoods are definately on the list. I was also thinking about hiring a guide for a day in Oregon to maybe do some steelie fishing. I understand it's primetime season now.
Old 07-13-2008, 03:43 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi Matt,

You should hit the Summer Steelhead on the Columbia. Here is a link for Oregon Steelhead fishing. If you are after Steelhead then you will need a guide. Check out the coastal rivers if you will be on the 101.

Frank
Old 07-13-2008, 03:57 PM

Thank you Frank. I'm definately going to look into this!
Old 07-13-2008, 10:15 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

The dairy plant/creamery in Tillamook, OR (you've seen their cheese in stores) sells some outstanding ice cream right there on site.

Cannon Beach is a very cool little town a little further up the coast, and there's a rock a few yards off the beach in the surf that is pretty amazing. It looks a LITTLE different from the TX Coast. The drive into Portland from there is quite pretty as well.

As far as fishing goes, if I were you and I was deciding where to hire a guide for a day of chasing bigguns, I would likely do so on the Oregon coast, near the two towns above. That, or go fish the Metolius. Its the gorgeous river seen in "Without a Paddle"

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 07-13-2008, 11:38 PM

troutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to behold

Hooking Bull trout on the Metolius would be worth the trip all by itself
Old 07-14-2008, 10:27 PM

Cowboy is an unknown quantity at this point

Where do I start? First of all try the Rogue and NF Umpqua. Near Tillamook there is the Wilson River. Just up behind 101 is the Nehalem. A fun fishery on the road from Tillamook to Portland is a great little creek called Gales Creek. Around Portland you could give the Clackamas a try, but you need to drive a few miles up river to find any fishing. Have not fished the Sandy in years, butr use to be good. However, with urban sprawl anything around Portland could be diminished. Most of my fishing in Washington was in the Mt. St. Helens area and I have not been back there since she blew her top, so fishing is probably totally diffferent. However, the back roads from that area toward Mt. Rainer offer many small, fishable creeks. Good luck, you should have fun where ever you try to wet a line and drown bait.
Old 07-14-2008, 10:28 PM

Cowboy is an unknown quantity at this point

Where do I start? First of all try the Rogue and NF Umpqua. Near Tillamook there is the Wilson River. Just up behind 101 is the Nehalem. A fun fishery on the road from Tillamook to Portland is a great little creek called Gales Creek. Around Portland you could give the Clackamas a try, but you need to drive a few miles up river to find any fishing. Have not fished the Sandy in years, but use to be good. However, with urban sprawl anything around Portland could be diminished. Most of my fishing in Washington was in the Mt. St. Helens area and I have not been back there since she blew her top, so fishing is probably totally diffferent. However, the back roads from that area toward Mt. Rainer offer many small, fishable creeks. Good luck, you should have fun where ever you try to wet a line and drown bait.