The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-13-2008, 07:47 PM

FISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to behold
Default patriot fire

My daughter was driving my Jeep Patriot today. She noticed some smoke coming out of the hood & pulled over to the shoulder & got out just in time. By the time the fire dept got there, 10 min or so, The car was completely engulfed & it burned to the ground. It was a 2007 with 14000 mi on it & was in perfect condition with no problems at all up until today. She said she smelled a little electrical smoke ( like burning plastic)just before & thought it was coming from the side of the road. It obviously started in the eng. compartment & was electrical in nature. I posted this for 2 reasons 1, to warn all other owners about a severe problem & 2, to ask if anyone else has any similiar experiences with their Jeep Patriots.
For what it's worth there was no fishing equipment in the car.
Old 07-13-2008, 08:19 PM

smith950 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: patriot fire

I'm glad your daughter is okay. I have not knowledge, but maybe Jeep Patriot Forums - Powered by vBulletin can help.

Scott
Old 07-13-2008, 09:00 PM

FISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to behold

Thanks Scott
I had already posted on that site. I had found it when I was doing a search for any recalls on the patriot this afternoon. Like I said in the post, I put it on the NAFF to warn people & ask for any feedback. My daughter did the right thing by just getting clear of the car & not trying to retrieve any stuff, She said that it was only a matter of minutes between when she first smelled smoke & the car was totally engulfed.
Old 07-14-2008, 11:13 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi FISHN50,

Dang, that is bad luck. Have there been any work on the vehicle recently. If there has, that work would be suspect.

Your comprehensive less deductible should pay for your loss. If you had work done your insurance company will investigate the work to determine if it caused the fire. If the work caused the fire the shop's insurance will pay. It can get complicated and you probably won't get all your money.

Frank
Old 07-14-2008, 11:24 AM

No work was done on the car recently. It had less than 12000mi on it. I' m glad I didn't have a fire extinguisher in the car because she might have done something stupid like trying to put it out. She said that it happened so fast. She said that she ran around to the back of the car & the flames were already bad so she just ran clear.
Old 07-16-2008, 05:01 PM

tlcrep will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by FISHN50 View Post
My daughter was driving my Jeep Patriot today. She noticed some smoke coming out of the hood & pulled over to the shoulder & got out just in time. By the time the fire dept got there, 10 min or so, The car was completely engulfed & it burned to the ground. It was a 2007 with 14000 mi on it & was in perfect condition with no problems at all up until today. She said she smelled a little electrical smoke ( like burning plastic)just before & thought it was coming from the side of the road. It obviously started in the eng. compartment & was electrical in nature. I posted this for 2 reasons 1, to warn all other owners about a severe problem & 2, to ask if anyone else has any similiar experiences with their Jeep Patriots.
For what it's worth there was no fishing equipment in the car.
Your car comes with a new "world engine" developed by DaimlerChrysler, Hyundai Motor Company and Mitsubishi Motors. It is also in the Jeep Compass, Dodge Calibre, Mitsubishi Evolution, Hyundai Genesis Coupe.

So since these cars use the same engine, you may want to research them too.
To help you research the new engine in the patriot (which lets it get 29 mgs compared to 21 in a jeep cherokee) google Global Engine Manufacturing Alliance new "World Engine"