The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-13-2008, 11:47 PM

phishead is on a distinguished road
Default Flyfishing near UVA

I'm headed to UVA August 23, and I'll be there for four years. I'm wondering if anyone knows where I might find accessable water for flyfishing, particularly trout?

Thanks

-phishead
Old 07-14-2008, 09:09 AM

dshort has a spectacular aura aboutdshort has a spectacular aura aboutdshort has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Flyfishing near UVA

There is quite a bit of trout fishing near Charlottesville. The East slope Shenandoah National Park Streams like the Rapidan, Rose, Hughes, Conway, Moorman's, etc. would probably be the closest. There you will get mostly native brookies in the 6-10" range. There is a private section of the Moorman's (operated by TU) that is stocked with nice sized rainbows every spring. You can buy a pass from the local fly shop and that is a fun stream until the poachers clean it out. There is a nice Delayed Harvest stream in Waynesboro called The South River that fishes well until about June. You are probably only an hour from Mossy Creek outside of Bridgewater and about 2 hours from the Jackson River at Warm Springs (2 of the best streams in the state).

I would normally not be so free with advice to a Wahoo, but if you're a fellow flyfisher you can't be all that bad....Go Hokies!!
Old 07-14-2008, 10:07 AM

phishead is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Flyfishing near UVA

hahaha thanks. I fished rainbows on Man's Creek (a tributary to the New River in WV) last weekend with another hokie and he wasn't half bad either...